Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid West Subaru Owners Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #6801
gard9070
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334682
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wyoming, MI
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackytar View Post
And I am pretty sure you can tune and log your car with a $15 vag com cable!!!
I don't trust myself to tune it myself, thats why i want to go with cobb pre-mapped tunes with all cobb parts (minus intake). As i said all i need is a DP and the cobb access port and i can do stage 2
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
gard9070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #6802
sackytar
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 149262
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Vehicle:
03WR XRace/XTDD/98SJ
PrimerGrey

Default

No I mispoke, you can flash and log with the vag com cable. You can use an OTS map from Romraider with the same mods you have.

I KNOW you can find a map that someone has created and is known to be safe and stable.

Who wants to do this:

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18725
sackytar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #6803
italia44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 249593
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
09 WRX
95 Impreza L

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackytar View Post
I do. Those things are awesome.
italia44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #6804
gard9070
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334682
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wyoming, MI
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackytar View Post
No I mispoke, you can flash and log with the vag com cable. You can use an OTS map from Romraider with the same mods you have.

I KNOW you can find a map that someone has created and is known to be safe and stable.

Who wants to do this:

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18725
point is, cant you dynotune with a cobb accessport? or use a open source with it if you want to make your own maps?
gard9070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #6805
187mustang
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305172
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Vehicle:
2006 Wrx STI
Wrb

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackytar View Post
Stages of "performance" is just a selling point and vary from company to company. There are no standards.

If you really want to go fast get some NOS that's the real ****.
I can vouge for that. I have 150HP shot on the stang and had 75hp shot on the last one. Now thats POWA
187mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #6806
Travisty
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 241216
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Vehicle:
1995 LX Wagon
2013 SWP BRZ

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gard9070 View Post

You blow rings, gaskets, and seals faster with more boost. So therefor there is more maintenance, also removing the cat will change the ability to control the boost. Finally, doesn't a stage 2 cost about 1400?

Also, i guess i'll go for it, I've been told by many people (not just you guys) to do it. Anyone know where i can get the parts? And not pay an arm and a leg?
I was going to argue the point that you should sooner listen to the guys who are in to Subarus over your friend, but if you're going to regurgitate whatever he says, it's not worth our time trying to reason.

You're right. No one has ever gone catless without having an EWG, and everyone who goes catless doesn't consider their car a DD/reliable anymore.

Obviously the only path for you is Cobb and an OTS tune.
Travisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #6807
gard9070
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334682
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wyoming, MI
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisty View Post
I was going to argue the point that you should sooner listen to the guys who are in to Subarus over your friend, but if you're going to regurgitate whatever he says, it's not worth our time trying to reason.

You're right. No one has ever gone catless without having an EWG, and everyone who goes catless doesn't consider their car a DD/reliable anymore.

Obviously the only path for you is Cobb and an OTS tune.
I'm not here to argue, i'm here asking for advice. I've never done something like this before and would like some help. I have an offer for a COBB Access port for 500 bucks. And am like 10 minutes away from getting it. But please by all means throw me recommendations for what you would recommend for a DD
gard9070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #6808
acmarcus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 166290
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids
Vehicle:
04 EJ207 GT30R 6MT
SRR Widebody Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gard9070 View Post

I'm not here to argue, i'm here asking for advice. I've never done something like this before and would like some help. I have an offer for a COBB Access port for 500 bucks. And am like 10 minutes away from getting it. But please by all means throw me recommendations for what you would recommend for a DD
My recommendation is not to buy all of one brand. Cobb IMO is not worth the money. Yes I have an access port v2. Waste of money. There is nothing on it that sets its self so far apart. I wish I had someone telling me not to buy it when I got mine. However there wasn't much else out there at the time either( I think it was Cobb vs turbo xs). As far as keeping all your mods made by Cobb, you would be throwing money away just for the name brand. Other company's sell = parts but cheaper.
acmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #6809
gard9070
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 334682
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wyoming, MI
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmarcus View Post

My recommendation is not to buy all of one brand. Cobb IMO is not worth the money. Yes I have an access port v2. Waste of money. There is nothing on it that sets its self so far apart. I wish I had someone telling me not to buy it when I got mine. However there wasn't much else out there at the time either( I think it was Cobb vs turbo xs). As far as keeping all your mods made by Cobb, you would be throwing money away just for the name brand. Other company's sell = parts but cheaper.
Alright it just seems like Cobb is so easy to do. And I'm not buying the dp for a few weeks. Unless someone has one for a decent price. So I was gonna run stage one until I buy it. But I will take any and all recommendations. Again I'm new to this
gard9070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #6810
Mplvan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 319020
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Caledonia, MI
Vehicle:
2012 STI Stage 2

Default

Has anyone used a hydra ecu? I want to tune for e85 and I like the idea of the flex fuel capabilities of it. (It can sense the amount of ethanol and adjust tune) Plus I feel the stock ecu on the 12 STi is crappy and it can't adjust fast enough on tip in and normal driving. It's fine dumping fuel at full boost but that's not how the car is used 99% of time. "When I drive it".
Mplvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #6811
Travisty
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 241216
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Vehicle:
1995 LX Wagon
2013 SWP BRZ

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplvan View Post
Has anyone used a hydra ecu? I want to tune for e85 and I like the idea of the flex fuel capabilities of it. (It can sense the amount of ethanol and adjust tune) Plus I feel the stock ecu on the 12 STi is crappy and it can't adjust fast enough on tip in and normal driving. It's fine dumping fuel at full boost but that's not how the car is used 99% of time. "When I drive it".
When you drive it, haha. I don't know about anyone using a Hydra, but I do know they're supposed to be the cats ****.

In my opinion, the stock ECU should be plenty even for e85, and if you're not happy then it's a tune issue, not ECU. One ECU theoretically can't react any more quickly than another; your sensors and their signal time would be your limiting factor, I'd think.

I'm just speculating though.

Last edited by Travisty; 12-14-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Travisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #6812
Layvon
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 195711
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cadillac MI
Vehicle:
STi 04/05/06/07
JBP / OBP for now

Default

Holy smokes is a lot of post today. On my way up to the glorious UP and what a day for a drive...

Anyhow I feel like the guy posting about the tune And Cobb verses Open source would benefit more from the AccessPORT. Here's my reasoning

1 - Very easy to use you can open the box plug it in and in 3 minutes you are all set up With stage 1 flash done.

2 you do not have to carry around a computer whenever you want to datalog something

3. Sense stage 2 is your ultimate goal you can Run stage 1 now and then get stage 2 once you have purchased your down Pipe by simply switching the map.

4. More reliable. I have not personally had any issues with romraider but once in awhile it does bone up. You have to make sure you set it up right otherwise things will not work properly. This is not hard to do don't get me wrong but it is a hassle.

In the future if you ever want to do a big motor build... romraider will really leave you hanging. If I wouldn't have been such a cheap bastard and sold my accessport for I would have a smooth running car on 2000 cc injectors. Their fuel trim control is second to none for the handhelds and any tuner can use them. In fact junior which if you do not know it is a very very good tuner is running an access for on his 600 Wheel Horse Forester. He simply loves the AccessPORT.

I can't remember if it was sacktar or amarcus who mentioned the cheap vag com cable... but you really really run the risk of reliability if you can get it to work at all. I am on sure of my neck statement but I think the veg com cable didn't work very well with the STi ECU.

As for the Hydra - I would not get that for the simple fact that
a there is limited support
B I'm pretty sure there's only 1 subaru tuner in the country for these (Phil @ element tuning) that I would trust to go to. I would love to push the link ECU because I have 1 and is very user friendly and also has e85 sensor capabilities. . But I do not think they have any models out for 2008 and newer Subarus. Honestly, unless you're going with a crazy build they are overkill IMO.

Yes I consider myself overkilling with computer power. If the AccessPORT would have came out with speed density tuning before I bought my linkECU I would have went with AccessPORT because it would have saved me ~$1500
Layvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #6813
Shortpersonbk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319017
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
91 Miata
This Saabs on Fire

Default

The hydra is just being looked at because of its ability to change the tune based on the content of the ethanol. Overall safer for the car to turn down the tune if its funny bad gas or winter e-85 then worry about it how your driving the whole time.
Shortpersonbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #6814
Travisty
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 241216
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Vehicle:
1995 LX Wagon
2013 SWP BRZ

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layvon View Post
Holy smokes is a lot of post today. On my way up to the glorious UP and what a day for a drive...

Anyhow I feel like the guy posting about the tune And Cobb verses Open source would benefit more from the AccessPORT. Here's my reasoning

1 - Very easy to use you can open the box plug it in and in 3 minutes you are all set up With stage 1 flash done.

2 you do not have to carry around a computer whenever you want to datalog something
If you get the 2.0 you can use SD Card logging. I haven't yet simply because I normally just log a couple parameters, tweak my map, reflash and keep going, but if you only have a desktop (which I know he has a laptop, he brought it in to Founders), the SD Card Logging feature is pretty slick.


Quote:
3. Sense stage 2 is your ultimate goal you can Run stage 1 now and then get stage 2 once you have purchased your down Pipe by simply switching the map.

4. More reliable. I have not personally had any issues with romraider but once in awhile it does bone up. You have to make sure you set it up right otherwise things will not work properly. This is not hard to do don't get me wrong but it is a hassle.

RomRaider has base maps for Stage 1-3 for our cars (through 07 at least), so he can flash a Stage 1 now if he's super antsy, then go on to Stage 2 later, same as with an AccessPort. You do have to be able to log some parameters and have someone tweak them, or be able to manipulate your map yourself. That saves you 50 bucks each time you want a new OTS tune though, which is what most people pay (from what I've heard).

RomRaider is a bitch to get everything set up right, but I attribute that to the fact that there were so many developers for the software and add-ons. COBB stuff was all done by them and is all encompassing.


Quote:
In the future if you ever want to do a big motor build... romraider will really leave you hanging. If I wouldn't have been such a cheap bastard and sold my accessport for I would have a smooth running car on 2000 cc injectors. Their fuel trim control is second to none for the handhelds and any tuner can use them. In fact junior which if you do not know it is a very very good tuner is running an access for on his 600 Wheel Horse Forester. He simply loves the AccessPORT.

I can't remember if it was sacktar or amarcus who mentioned the cheap vag com cable... but you really really run the risk of reliability if you can get it to work at all. I am on sure of my neck statement but I think the veg com cable didn't work very well with the STi ECU.

That was Rob who mentioned the VAG-COM. There is a quirk with that cable (I don't think it communicates with 32-bit ECU's, and all STi cars are 32-bit), and you also need to be able to find a good seller of the cable that actually uses good drivers, not a Chinese knockoff. The VAG-COM cable I ordered was a knock off and no drivers worked for it. I had the same issue with my AEM Cable from Busted Finger, so I know it was the cable/driver issue, not the VAG-COM theory itself.


Quote:
Yes I consider myself overkilling with computer power. If the AccessPORT would have came out with speed density tuning before I bought my linkECU I would have went with AccessPORT because it would have saved me ~$1500
And that's where I stand right now... I want Speed Density badly, but no one tunes it for OpenSource with e-tunes. I'm hoping I can teach myself to tune my car MAF-based first, then apply what I have learned towards going SD, but the fact that Clark Turner tunes SD strictly with an AccessPort has me debating going that route. The only thing is the cost.

AccessPort - 450-550
Clark Turner SD Tune - 200


or


I already have my Tactrix - No money
Figure out tuning on my own - No money


With how much Aron raves about Clark Turner, I really am considering it. It's only money, right?
Travisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #6815
sackytar
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 149262
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Vehicle:
03WR XRace/XTDD/98SJ
PrimerGrey

Default

We tuned the **** outta Chris Cooneys sti with no issues using a vag com. No issues. But we used proper drivers and didn't buy knock off ****.

What works for me might not work for you. Just but an access port already. I know it works well.

This thread is getting outta control. Lol

Last edited by sackytar; 12-14-2012 at 06:21 PM.
sackytar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #6816
White out
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 46277
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
** Ring Time of
7:43.5

Default

If you're going to spend money on an ECU, hydra/AEM are the way to go. It made life so much easier on my STi switching to Hydra2.6.

On a side note, this is what I'm currently wasting all my time building:
http://996ls1.blogspot.com/


White out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #6817
sackytar
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 149262
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Vehicle:
03WR XRace/XTDD/98SJ
PrimerGrey

Default

Thats gonna be BadAss!
sackytar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #6818
Travisty
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 241216
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Vehicle:
1995 LX Wagon
2013 SWP BRZ

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White out View Post
If you're going to spend money on an ECU, hydra/AEM are the way to go. It made life so much easier on my STi switching to Hydra2.6.

On a side note, this is what I'm currently wasting all my time building:
http://996ls1.blogspot.com/
LS in a Porsche? Is that what I'm looking at?
Travisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #6819
sackytar
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 149262
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Vehicle:
03WR XRace/XTDD/98SJ
PrimerGrey

Default

**** thats some serious motivation. Are you still in Lansing?
sackytar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #6820
SVT_2_WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 270699
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisty View Post

LS in a Porsche? Is that what I'm looking at?
I believe that's what I saw too...so much tits!
SVT_2_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #6821
sackytar
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 149262
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Vehicle:
03WR XRace/XTDD/98SJ
PrimerGrey

Default

Dude its gotta be a first!
sackytar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #6822
Travisty
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 241216
Join Date: Mar 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Vehicle:
1995 LX Wagon
2013 SWP BRZ

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackytar View Post
Dude its gotta be a first!
Weren't you just complaining this thread was getting out of control?

I doubt it's a first. That bellhousing adapter has probably been around for a while. It's definitely cool though.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/
Travisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #6823
Mplvan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 319020
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Caledonia, MI
Vehicle:
2012 STI Stage 2

Default

Element will be building forged motor and doing the tune...
Mplvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #6824
sackytar
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 149262
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Vehicle:
03WR XRace/XTDD/98SJ
PrimerGrey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisty View Post

Weren't you just complaining this thread was getting out of control?

I doubt it's a first. That bellhousing adapter has probably been around for a while. It's definitely cool though.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/
Yes it is outta control but I am so gay for LS1 swaps. So its outta control in a good way Theres a dude doing one into a wrx.
sackytar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #6825
sackytar
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 149262
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Vehicle:
03WR XRace/XTDD/98SJ
PrimerGrey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplvan View Post
Element will be building forged motor and doing the tune...
Elements legit. You must be a drug dealer. Cuz your gonna need big money for that.
sackytar is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone here from the Grand Rapids, Holland, or Muskegon MI areas? Scooby do Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 19 05-25-2012 02:09 PM
Good alignment shops in the Grand Rapids/Muskegon areas? Paradenu Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 3 12-08-2006 01:20 PM
Anyone close to Grand Rapids going to the Ojibwe ProRally? penjaja Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 4 08-13-2002 01:55 AM
Grand Rapids metroplanner Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 0 06-15-2001 05:00 AM
Grand Rapids MI Autocross Scooby do General Forum Archive 0 09-27-2000 03:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.