Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #926
ToneWrx02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239095
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Goteborg, Sweden
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghanasjeep View Post
so Im certainly a noob to the wrx and after 14k i spun a bearing and it seems it was def my fault for not staying on top of the engine. Has subaru ever officailly said or done anything to correct this spun bearing? Its in having a new short block and turbo replaced. they also denied my claim because i didnt change the engine so kick me in the balls, $8k later.
By not staying on top of the engine, do you mean never did a oil change? Also because you didnt change the engine?

If thats what you are saying its your own fault for not doing proper maintenence.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ToneWrx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #927
jayslee07
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347562
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

so here's my question. anyone with the 2009 wrx that had this issue and the warranty work complete, have you done any mods subsequently? i wanted to do downpipe, cold air intake and Cobb AP tune, but I am a little hesitant.
jayslee07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #928
peglegsteve
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209987
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Essex, MD
Vehicle:
2009 Stage eleventy
billion WRB WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayslee07 View Post
so here's my question. anyone with the 2009 wrx that had this issue and the warranty work complete, have you done any mods subsequently? i wanted to do downpipe, cold air intake and Cobb AP tune, but I am a little hesitant.
My first block failed at 9k. I went to stage 1 a few thousand miles later, then stage 2 around 30k. It held like a champ, until I had some valve issues around 110k, starved the turbo and engine of oil. That was expensive lol.

Go ahead and mod, the bad bearings are all gone. Just check your oil more than once a month, and you should be fine.
peglegsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #929
jayslee07
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347562
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

okay I'm looking to get the following done soon:

already have Magnaflow CBE, looking to get downpipe, air intake and cobb ap3 tune. the tuning shop i'm going to is approximately 3 hours away.

i know subaru's are very sensitive to air flow and what not, but do you think it would be safe to install the air intake myself before going down (to save money) and just drive it softly for 3 hours???
jayslee07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #930
Knotsure
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 41730
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Jersey
Vehicle:
0910 Leggy3.0/Impr
BLU Leg/BLK Imp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayslee07 View Post
okay I'm looking to get the following done soon: already have Magnaflow CBE, looking to get downpipe, air intake and cobb ap3 tune. the tuning shop i'm going to is approximately 3 hours away. i know subaru's are very sensitive to air flow and what not, but do you think it would be safe to install the air intake myself before going down (to save money) and just drive it softly for 3 hours???
I don't think anyone would be foolish enough to say yeah or nah to that question. If it blows up, who's gonna want that on their conscience!
Knotsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #931
Teuton
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 382023
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Charlotte
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Silver

Default

This thread is giving me an anxiety attack. Are only certain vins affected? I just bought a 2009, build date 02/09, 34k miles, only 3 month warranty. Should I return the car?
Teuton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #932
peglegsteve
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209987
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Essex, MD
Vehicle:
2009 Stage eleventy
billion WRB WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
This thread is giving me an anxiety attack. Are only certain vins affected? I just bought a 2009, build date 02/09, 34k miles, only 3 month warranty. Should I return the car?
Doesn't apply to your car.
peglegsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #933
Teuton
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 382023
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Charlotte
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglegsteve View Post
Doesn't apply to your car.
ahh ok. So from the little reading I've done in the last 20 minutes, seems to only be June through September 2008 build dates correct?
Teuton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #934
peglegsteve
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209987
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Essex, MD
Vehicle:
2009 Stage eleventy
billion WRB WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
ahh ok. So from the little reading I've done in the last 20 minutes, seems to only be June through September 2008 build dates correct?
Exactly.
peglegsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #935
wrxmike09
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 207536
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
This thread is giving me an anxiety attack. Are only certain vins affected? I just bought a 2009, build date 02/09, 34k miles, only 3 month warranty. Should I return the car?
Now you just have to hope you don't get hit with the 2008-200? broken firewall welds issue!
wrxmike09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #936
meebs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3251
Join Date: Dec 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Lake Tapps, WA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglegsteve View Post
Exactly.
I'm at 86740 miles and no issues with a build date of 04/09. BS labs reports all seem fine, but I'm going to email Subaru just to be sure that this check was done before I owned the car. It was a leased car so I'm thinking I'm safe, but it's always been in the back of my mind.

This thread seems to say build date is the deciding factor yet my VIN (wagon) falls within the stop sale range of 825183-831852.

Per: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...ead-first.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru
Originally Posted by Subaru
Turbo Engine Stop Sale checking Procedure
On April 7, 2008 we informed you of a stop sale order on 2008 Impreza, STi and Legacy vehicles and 2009 Forester vehicles equipped with 2.5L Turbo Engines and produced with the beginning chassis number/production dates and later as shown below:

Model Body Type Chassis Number Production Date
Forester Wagon 701045 or later 2008/01/08 or later
Legacy 2.5GT-LTD 222825 or later 2008/02/04 or later
2.5GT-B 222958 or later
OBK 2.5XT-LTD 353835 or later 2008/02/01 or later
Impreza Sedan 523363 or later 2008/01/08 or later
Wagon 825183 or later
meebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #937
Breezio
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234357
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Forest Grove, OR
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Sportwagen zum einbauen!

Default

I'm pretty certain you are reading that wrong.

That was about 2008 MY vehicles. Not 2009 as you have (and this thread is talking about)
Your VIN does not match up with that IWSTI listing as you have the wrong year vehicle.


On another note, I'll never know if my vehicle, 08/08 build date (VIN smack dab in the middle of the VIN range) would develop the bearing issue or not as I just had the shortblock replaced to put this issue behind me and move on.
Breezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #938
meebs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3251
Join Date: Dec 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Lake Tapps, WA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezio View Post
I'm pretty certain you are reading that wrong.

That was about 2008 MY vehicles. Not 2009 as you have (and this thread is talking about)
Your VIN does not match up with that IWSTI listing as you have the wrong year vehicle.
Ah you're probably right. I think what confused me is this thread keeps focusing on the last six of the vin and build date, when it should be the last 8 of the VIN which would include build year. E.g, mine is; 9G826XXX. The production sequence is in range but not the year digit.

At any rate, I've emailed Subaru and will see what they say. My "mysubaru" history doesn't show up even though it does on carfax. Weird because it was a leased car before I owned it and it looks like the dealer did all the oil changes etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezio View Post
On another note, I'll never know if my vehicle, 08/08 build date (VIN smack dab in the middle of the VIN range) would develop the bearing issue or not as I just had the shortblock replaced to put this issue behind me and move on.
Did you replace it for some other reason? Or because you were worried about a potential failure?

Last edited by meebs; 03-18-2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: question
meebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #939
Breezio
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234357
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Forest Grove, OR
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Sportwagen zum einbauen!

Default

Replaced for this reason.

Aside from my car being right in the middle of the range, it has also shown silver in every oil analysis I've ever done.

So when the warranty was up and it hadn't gone yet, I made the decision to replace the short block for a couple reasons.
By doing it before the bearings actually went out I got to choose when the car would be down for repair. It also cost me considerably less to replace the short block and a lot of small things while it was apart, instead of potentially having to replace the long block and turbo if the bearings went out and screwed up other components.

Now I have a brand new bottom end ('11+ EJ257), fully inspected heads with a light valve job and clearances checked/adjusted. New water pump, new oil pump, new timing belt/pulleys, KillerB oil pickup and ARP head studs.
Just finished break-in and she'll get a nice custom tune in a few weeks.
Breezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #940
meebs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3251
Join Date: Dec 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Lake Tapps, WA
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezio View Post
Replaced for this reason.

Aside from my car being right in the middle of the range, it has also shown silver in every oil analysis I've ever done.

So when the warranty was up and it hadn't gone yet, I made the decision to replace the short block for a couple reasons.
By doing it before the bearings actually went out I got to choose when the car would be down for repair. It also cost me considerably less to replace the short block and a lot of small things while it was apart, instead of potentially having to replace the long block and turbo if the bearings went out and screwed up other components.

Now I have a brand new bottom end ('11+ EJ257), fully inspected heads with a light valve job and clearances checked/adjusted. New water pump, new oil pump, new timing belt/pulleys, KillerB oil pickup and ARP head studs.
Just finished break-in and she'll get a nice custom tune in a few weeks.
Nice! I would imagine that would last a long time. Shame they don't come that way from the factory.

At any rate, I heard back from Subaru. They basically said they don't keep track of cars that may have been inspected in any stop sale; however, my car should not be affected and there's no history of any recall. Good enough for me to put it to rest.
meebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #941
vincenttngo1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 386688
Join Date: Apr 2014
Default

So I have decided to take the gamble and purchase my own '09 wrx. The owner of the car is actually fellow member here fog hat. He did have his motor go out (bearings) but he got it fully replaced and he also got rod knock at 88k miles and he got his motor replaced once again. The new motor is at roughly 30ish thousand miles and has no problems (knock on wood) but the odometer reads over 100k miles so I'm out of warrenty , should I drive at ease? Seeing all of this really does spook the crap out of me!
vincenttngo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #942
Breezio
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 234357
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Forest Grove, OR
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Sportwagen zum einbauen!

Default

I'd drive it with the same 'ease' as you would any other car with 100K miles on the chassis and 30K on the motor.
Breezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2009 WRX Engine Failure Poll AshJWilliams Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 201 07-12-2014 07:54 PM
2009 with an 08/08 build date? CO_Turbo Newbies & FAQs 8 05-19-2009 07:39 AM
2008 Wrx Engine Failure deunan General Community 101 03-29-2008 09:47 AM
2008 Wrx Engine Failure deunan Service & Maintenance 1 03-23-2008 10:18 PM
2008 wrx engine failure deunan Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo) 1 03-23-2008 10:09 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.