Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #1376
Joe Boxer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 63119
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Within Binding
Vehicle:
** Memoirs of a
Serial Bachelor**

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT View Post
:dunno: yellow chromate plated gr8 might would look better.

[woman] Don't you think the yellow would clash with the bronze? [/woman]

After I beat up these bolts, I'll search for something anodized or coated black. The MOPAR fuel filler door on my Jeep is flat black with silver hardware -- the rings on these wheels match. I didn't want to introduce a third color to these wheels... but my options through the manufacturer and coater were limited. If the look is unbearable, I'll change something, but I won't really know until I get them on.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Joe Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #1377
TurismoLou
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9480
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Man of Mystery
Vehicle:
2011 Wrangler Unlim.
Anti-hybrid

Default

Nice rims Joe! Now let's see them on your Jeep!
TurismoLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #1378
Joe Boxer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 63119
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Within Binding
Vehicle:
** Memoirs of a
Serial Bachelor**

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurismoLou View Post
Nice rims Joe! Now let's see them on your Jeep!
It'll be a few months... I won't be home for more than two days at a time until mid-December.
Joe Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:42 AM   #1379
TurismoLou
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9480
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Man of Mystery
Vehicle:
2011 Wrangler Unlim.
Anti-hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Boxer

It'll be a few months... I won't be home for more than two days at a time until mid-December.
Boo!
TurismoLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #1380
The Phenx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 95823
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2003 Imprezza Wrx
WRC BLUE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow5oh View Post


I think most of what we went through was clay as well because it was pretty fiving difficult to get off even with the pressure washer at the car wash down the street which has a good bit of power. I tried to follow the line that Damon did but I got too far over and fell in. I'd definitely prefer to stay away from stuff like that in the future. I've heard on other forums that soaking it down really well with a garden sprinkler helps to get the undercarriage cleaned out.

Didn't know that Eaton made an e-locker, that looks pretty nice but no love for the toyota crowd. Others swap in the e-locker from new trucks but you have to modify the housing and just looks to be more work than it's worth. I've found ready to drop in 3rd members with an ARB for $1250 which will likely be the route I go.
Ya what we used ot do when I was doing glades racing was take a garden sprinkler and just put it underneath and leave it overnight.

Then Purplepower (superclean) it, and pressure wash.

usually does the trick.
The Phenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #1381
The Phenx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 95823
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2003 Imprezza Wrx
WRC BLUE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Boxer View Post
[woman] Don't you think the yellow would clash with the bronze? [/woman]

After I beat up these bolts, I'll search for something anodized or coated black. The MOPAR fuel filler door on my Jeep is flat black with silver hardware -- the rings on these wheels match. I didn't want to introduce a third color to these wheels... but my options through the manufacturer and coater were limited. If the look is unbearable, I'll change something, but I won't really know until I get them on.
The coating your looking at is called parkerizing.


And it can be done to damn near anything, and will turn those grade 8's black to match factory. You could always have them sent out to be coated or find a source for them.

~S
The Phenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #1382
Sideshowbob
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50304
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Smalbany NY
Vehicle:
97 TJ, 04 Matrix
XR70R, 03 Gas Gas 250

Default

Sideshowbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #1383
PGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57283
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Loudoun
Vehicle:
2014 4.7L of TT Fury
w/ 4Matic

Default

nothing says brotato like a flushed in rear license plate
PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #1384
The Phenx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 95823
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2003 Imprezza Wrx
WRC BLUE

Default

Part Caddy

Part Bronco

Part Monster Truck

All Bawla!

The Phenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #1385
zombiekiller
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 167010
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Somewhere in the Ford Galaxie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Boxer View Post
[woman] Don't you think the yellow would clash with the bronze? [/woman]

After I beat up these bolts, I'll search for something anodized or coated black. The MOPAR fuel filler door on my Jeep is flat black with silver hardware -- the rings on these wheels match. I didn't want to introduce a third color to these wheels... but my options through the manufacturer and coater were limited. If the look is unbearable, I'll change something, but I won't really know until I get them on.
grade 8 hardware just means that you did it right.
if you're that worried about color coordination, its most likely a mall crawler and beadlocks are not necessary.
zombiekiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #1386
PGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57283
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Loudoun
Vehicle:
2014 4.7L of TT Fury
w/ 4Matic

Default

PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:30 AM   #1387
Whitford
Has never had a cavity
Moderator
 
Member#: 97875
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Would I be stupid to buy/trade for this thing?:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2256126
Whitford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:39 AM   #1388
Cody06
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 108928
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Vehicle:
2011 Odyssey
97 LX450 on 39s

Default

Yup.

As previously stated, its about worth HALF that asking price. But then again, its worth what you're comfortable paying.
Cody06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:42 AM   #1389
Whitford
Has never had a cavity
Moderator
 
Member#: 97875
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody06 View Post
Yup.

As previously stated, its about worth HALF that asking price. But then again, its worth what you're comfortable paying.
Thanks.

Price aside, how does it look to you?
Whitford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:55 AM   #1390
Cody06
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 108928
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Vehicle:
2011 Odyssey
97 LX450 on 39s

Default

Looks extremely clean, but so do total junk cars people flip on ebay.

Only thing I don't get is why it says "has not been off-road - never wheeled."

Nobody throws that many off-road specific mods on a rig and never takes it out playing.

It's not "bro-lifted" as most of those rigs would break 1,000 things if you took it down a trail - these are definately trail mods.

For comparison, this rig with similar miles, and many better mods, sold for $6200 recently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...item3f0ea4d126
Cody06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:04 AM   #1391
Whitford
Has never had a cavity
Moderator
 
Member#: 97875
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody06 View Post
Looks extremely clean, but so do total junk cars people flip on ebay.

Only thing I don't get is why it says "has not been off-road - never wheeled."

Nobody throws that many off-road specific mods on a rig and never takes it out playing.

It's not "bro-lifted" as most of those rigs would break 1,000 things if you took it down a trail - these are definately trail mods.

For comparison, this rig with similar miles, and many better mods, sold for $6200 recently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...item3f0ea4d126
Thanks again, man.
Whitford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #1392
TurismoLou
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9480
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Man of Mystery
Vehicle:
2011 Wrangler Unlim.
Anti-hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody06 View Post
Looks extremely clean, but so do total junk cars people flip on ebay.

Only thing I don't get is why it says "has not been off-road - never wheeled."

Nobody throws that many off-road specific mods on a rig and never takes it out playing.

It's not "bro-lifted" as most of those rigs would break 1,000 things if you took it down a trail - these are definately trail mods.

For comparison, this rig with similar miles, and many better mods, sold for $6200 recently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...item3f0ea4d126
That's the same thing I thought.
TurismoLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #1393
Whitford
Has never had a cavity
Moderator
 
Member#: 97875
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Default

This is interesting:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2238342

Another thread for an XJ but this advertises a 99 for sale, not a 2000. Also, it's cheaper and white but with the same mileage? What am I missing here?
Whitford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:20 AM   #1394
escos
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 144543
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: International
Location: in their Japan
Vehicle:
* diluting their
bloodlines

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitford View Post
This is interesting:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2238342

Another thread for an XJ but this advertises a 99 for sale, not a 2000. Also, it's cheaper and white but with the same mileage? What am I missing here?
Dun Dun Dunnnnnnnnnnnnn
escos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:21 AM   #1395
Cody06
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 108928
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Vehicle:
2011 Odyssey
97 LX450 on 39s

Default

Very peculiar indeed.

I suspect Nigerians will contact you to arrange shipping somehow.
Cody06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:24 AM   #1396
Slow5oh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 70698
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: If you think this is slow
Vehicle:
wait until I go
up a hill...

Default

That's a very nice XJ and exactly what I was looking for until I found my 4Runner. Since it hasn't been off road you won't have to worry about a cracked unibody(for now) and the D30 front is weak and won't be reliable during heavy wheeling with big tires should you want to go that route later on. As it is with the 33s it will be perfectly fine.

As far as the suspension, Rough Country products are for those on a budget. It will work for a casual wheeler but there is a reason they are priced the way they are.

I'd buy it but at half the price like Cody said. I found several while I was looking that were just as well equipped and near the same condition for anywhere from $6000 to $8000.
Slow5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:26 AM   #1397
Whitford
Has never had a cavity
Moderator
 
Member#: 97875
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow5oh View Post
That's a very nice XJ and exactly what I was looking for until I found my 4Runner. Since it hasn't been off road you won't have to worry about a cracked unibody(for now) and the D30 front is weak and won't be reliable during heavy wheeling with big tires should you want to go that route later on. As it is with the 33s it will be perfectly fine.

As far as the suspension, Rough Country products are for those on a budget. It will work for a casual wheeler but there is a reason they are priced the way they are.

I'd buy it but at half the price like Cody said. I found several while I was looking that were just as well equipped and near the same condition for anywhere from $6000 to $8000.
Thanks for the input. Can you recommend a good site to be browsing for this type of vehicle?
Whitford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:38 AM   #1398
Cody06
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 108928
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Vehicle:
2011 Odyssey
97 LX450 on 39s

Default

Ebay is where they all tend to end up, regardless of the forum the current owner frequents from what I've seen in off-road land.

No matter WHICH 4x4 you get interested in - realize that the majority of them end up for sale because something keeps breaking or the maintenance is getting too expensive to keep up with - so do your research.

My LX450 was 100% stock when I bought it, and I've gone through crazy mods that IH8MUD members told me wouldn't be possible.

I've had many friends want to jump into 4x4 stuff and pick up mild-medium built Wranglers. They look awesome posing on a tree stump, but its quite frustrating when halfway up an obstacle the entire axle and wheel on one side just FALLS OUT.

If you just want something like a mall crawler - that rig might be fine (at $6-7k).

If any vehicle type interests you - join a forum and start finding out what breaks easy and what to upgrade - which parts to stay away from.
Cody06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:38 AM   #1399
Slow5oh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 70698
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: If you think this is slow
Vehicle:
wait until I go
up a hill...

Default

Pirate4x4.com(the NASIOC of the 4WD world) and Jeepforum.com are the two places I mainly looked. There are a few smaller ones like NAXJA.org and cherokeeforum.com that you can look but most of the time they had them listed on the two larger ones as well.
Slow5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:48 AM   #1400
Slow5oh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 70698
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: If you think this is slow
Vehicle:
wait until I go
up a hill...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody06 View Post
Ebay is where they all tend to end up, regardless of the forum the current owner frequents from what I've seen in off-road land.

No matter WHICH 4x4 you get interested in - realize that the majority of them end up for sale because something keeps breaking or the maintenance is getting too expensive to keep up with - so do your research.

My LX450 was 100% stock when I bought it, and I've gone through crazy mods that IH8MUD members told me wouldn't be possible.

I've had many friends want to jump into 4x4 stuff and pick up mild-medium built Wranglers. They look awesome posing on a tree stump, but its quite frustrating when halfway up an obstacle the entire axle and wheel on one side just FALLS OUT.

If you just want something like a mall crawler - that rig might be fine (at $6-7k).

If any vehicle type interests you - join a forum and start finding out what breaks easy and what to upgrade - which parts to stay away from.
Here shortly I'll be listing my wife's Touareg for sale so I can get her into an 80 or 100 series. I was so close to getting one but the guy held it for over a week to someone else who didn't even have a deposit. I told him I could be there tomorrow with cash but he wanted to give the other guy a chance.

Since my wife saw them she's wanted one(loves the 3rd row seating) and we will be finding one of each kind to drive so she can pick the one she wants. I'm hoping she pics the 80 series since there is a clean, well maintained, and locked one in Colorado that I'm itching to get her. Already got approval from my credit union too!
Slow5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
with all the gay and straight threads [27] Off-Topic 27 05-08-2013 07:31 PM
the Official Rally/Off-Road thread? Longitude Member's Car Gallery 178 09-05-2006 06:39 PM
Why all the bestiality and dehydration threads today??? Grap Off-Topic 15 01-11-2006 04:55 PM
this site is dwindling (aka: The piss and moan thread v.2) stevedood Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC 59 04-01-2004 01:38 AM
A lazy monday thread...A continuation of the saturday and sunday thread DoctorNick Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 9 09-10-2002 09:17 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.