Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Texas Impreza Club
Texas Impreza Club Forum sponsored by Gillman Subaru Houston
and Gillman Subaru San Antonio
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #101
wrx_02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 188471
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneArmedScissor View Post
i was about to say... hollllaaaa
Yeah I guess I coulda had a little fun with that.... joke on you guys cause I'm not gay
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
wrx_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #102
finnRex
RIP Donny
Moderator
 
Member#: 21095
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Miss you, Charlie Murphy.
Vehicle:
RIP KTH & LMFH
'09 Crystal red Tintcoat

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesohoh7 View Post
haaa-haaaaa!!!... sucker!... "1st ride is free..."



I am eying an sv1k purchase... or an aprilia falco... or rsvr, or rc51, or superhawk, or... crap... I can't make up my mind... too many good bikes out there.
I'm hooked. Again. I used to own an R6 and an R1. Too much fun. Low on torque though.


They got a used '07 in SA with like 4k miles on it for around $5500. I want a V-twin. I want that torque, and the SV1k delivers. I also know of an '01 or '02 TL for $2k in Fort Worth. I'd rather the SV though.



Mika
finnRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:56 PM   #103
wrx_02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 188471
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Default

If you want an ape check out RPM cycles in Dallas talk to Boris. Or you can talk to the AF1 shop in New Bransfuessel (sp) I have been drinking

They have really good deal too!
wrx_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:36 AM   #104
finnRex
RIP Donny
Moderator
 
Member#: 21095
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Miss you, Charlie Murphy.
Vehicle:
RIP KTH & LMFH
'09 Crystal red Tintcoat

Default

Man, I'm trying to find a cheap V-twin. Which more or less knocks me down to the SV1000 and the TL1000. I really like the ergonomics of the SV, so I'm leaning towards that. I'm also on a budget. And unfortunately, Aprilia's are 'spensive.



Mika
finnRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:43 AM   #105
wrx_02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 188471
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnRex View Post
Man, I'm trying to find a cheap V-twin. Which more or less knocks me down to the SV1000 and the TL1000. I really like the ergonomics of the SV, so I'm leaning towards that. I'm also on a budget. And unfortunately, Aprilia's are 'spensive.



Mika

Well how much and what's the oldest you will go? I understand, I got mine for 9k like brand new. which was cheaper than a 600 jap bike.
wrx_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:52 AM   #106
finnRex
RIP Donny
Moderator
 
Member#: 21095
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Miss you, Charlie Murphy.
Vehicle:
RIP KTH & LMFH
'09 Crystal red Tintcoat

Default

If it's a TL, no earlier than '00. SV would like to have a newer one, but I'm trying to keep it under $5k. I could get an '01 TL for $2,500(maybe $2k), but like I said, I really like the fit of the SV. I'm a cheap bastard.



Mika
finnRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:30 AM   #107
OneArmedScissor
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 18958
Join Date: May 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Oakland What it do
Vehicle:
08 STi
Black as my heart

Default

sv1000? why not the 650? too slow?
OneArmedScissor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:44 AM   #108
finnRex
RIP Donny
Moderator
 
Member#: 21095
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Miss you, Charlie Murphy.
Vehicle:
RIP KTH & LMFH
'09 Crystal red Tintcoat

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneArmedScissor View Post
sv1000? why not the 650? too slow?
I'm a fat bastard. 6', 230 lbs.



Mika
finnRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:46 AM   #109
OneArmedScissor
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 18958
Join Date: May 2002
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Oakland What it do
Vehicle:
08 STi
Black as my heart

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnRex View Post
I'm a fat bastard. 6', 230 lbs.



Mika
yikes. that makes me 5'9 145lbs soaking wet after a chinese buffet feel terribly dwarfed.

I'll stick to my 600's. I don't even think I could lift a literbike. Especially not when I'm all busted up.
OneArmedScissor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:48 AM   #110
finnRex
RIP Donny
Moderator
 
Member#: 21095
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Miss you, Charlie Murphy.
Vehicle:
RIP KTH & LMFH
'09 Crystal red Tintcoat

Default

Yeah, I owned an R6 and an R1, and they're both super fun. Buhleev dat. If I was a smaller guy, I'd consider it. But me on a 600 or 650 cc bike just doesn't "look" right. Heck, even when I had my R6, I weighed "only" 200. So yeah, it's just a "gorilla on a tricycle" look that I'm trying to avoid.


Mika
finnRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:26 AM   #111
salaki
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 10572
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: RollYourFender
Vehicle:
92X N62B44, ST 1050
CGK, LAX, & DFW

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnRex View Post
Yeah, I owned an R6 and an R1, and they're both super fun. Buhleev dat. If I was a smaller guy, I'd consider it. But me on a 600 or 650 cc bike just doesn't "look" right. Heck, even when I had my R6, I weighed "only" 200. So yeah, it's just a "gorilla on a tricycle" look that I'm trying to avoid.


Mika
You got that right

I looked like a giant on 2 wheel when I rode my buddy's 600cc sport bike.

That's why I went w/ Triumph Sprint ST 1050 Sport touring (big faired body, 1050cc w/ enough power & torque to get you in trouble, comfortable riding position but still sporty enough to decently keep up w/ sport bikes in most twisties).

The difference is like driving an Impreza and Legacy
Sport compact vs full size.
You've got the best of both world in a sport touring bike. Damn I'm getting old for sporty stuff

Get one so I have a 200lbs plus riding friend
salaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #112
jamesohoh7
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 39070
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Strongbadia
Vehicle:
--
GTF off my lawn!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnRex View Post
If it's a TL, no earlier than '00. SV would like to have a newer one, but I'm trying to keep it under $5k. I could get an '01 TL for $2,500(maybe $2k), but like I said, I really like the fit of the SV. I'm a cheap bastard.



Mika
You can get clean, used RSV1K's all day for 4500.00 or so. Check CL. That's close to your budget limit, I know, but it's pretty cheap for a great bike.

Also, if you're not aiming at a TL-R, don't bother. The TL-S has that horrible rotary-shock thingy that everyone says is basically a death-trap b/c it overheats and your suspension gets all gooey at the worst time.

Also, might look at Honda Superhawk's too... about the same power as an SV1K, but carb'ed vs. inj, and usually cheaper used... and 'Honda reliable', if you subscribe to the conv. wisdom.


IMHO, the crotch-rocket litre bikes have done the shrunken-head act the last 8 years anyway, they're all pretty tiny now, barely bigger dimensionally than the 600's.
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #113
wrx_02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 188471
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesohoh7 View Post
You can get clean, used RSV1K's all day for 4500.00 or so. Check CL. That's close to your budget limit, I know, but it's pretty cheap for a great bike.

Also, if you're not aiming at a TL-R, don't bother. The TL-S has that horrible rotary-shock thingy that everyone says is basically a death-trap b/c it overheats and your suspension gets all gooey at the worst time.

Also, might look at Honda Superhawk's too... about the same power as an SV1K, but carb'ed vs. inj, and usually cheaper used... and 'Honda reliable', if you subscribe to the conv. wisdom.


IMHO, the crotch-rocket litre bikes have done the shrunken-head act the last 8 years anyway, they're all pretty tiny now, barely bigger dimensionally than the 600's.

+2 older RSV are great deals, people that bought those bikes back in the day paid like 12k or more for them and never rode them. Business types or real bike enthusiast that just kept low miles on it and took care of it.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179223

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=178062

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=178841

I just copied these didn't really look at them but there is a ton of them in the for sale section of the AF1 forum.....
wrx_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:06 AM   #114
pjo42387
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139295
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: DFW, Texas
Vehicle:
2003 Silverado
07 R1

Default

I want a wr250x
pjo42387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #115
wrx_02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 188471
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo42387 View Post
I want a wr250x
I will try to call my friend today again.
wrx_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #116
jamesohoh7
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 39070
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Strongbadia
Vehicle:
--
GTF off my lawn!

Default

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1191129005.html Superhawk
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1177937817.html Superhawk
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1155470937.html RSVR
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1162687389.html TLR
(wonky paint/mix-matched panels)

Lots of cheap stuff out there, Mika, though I didn't search your particular area, I'd guess similar deals abound.
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #117
Dasani
Top Scoob 005
 
Member#: 58098
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Texas
Vehicle:
10.4 @ 137.46mph
Cosworth, TSR70, MZM Tune

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneArmedScissor View Post
sv1000? why not the 650? too slow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnRex View Post
I'm a fat bastard. 6', 230 lbs.
I'm 6' 2", 230 lbs and don't look out of place on a Ninja 650R.

-D
Dasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:45 AM   #118
finnRex
RIP Donny
Moderator
 
Member#: 21095
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Miss you, Charlie Murphy.
Vehicle:
RIP KTH & LMFH
'09 Crystal red Tintcoat

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesohoh7 View Post
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1191129005.html Superhawk
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1177937817.html Superhawk
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1155470937.html RSVR
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1162687389.html TLR
(wonky paint/mix-matched panels)

Lots of cheap stuff out there, Mika, though I didn't search your particular area, I'd guess similar deals abound.
You actually got me thinking about the Super Hawk. The reason I was leaning so much towards the SV was because I rode it and it felt dang nice. I was told by some riders that the Super Hawk was "meh" on the performance side.

There are better deals in Houston than there are in Dallas. It seems that the folks around here act like their stuff doesn't stink. In Dallas?!?!? Ya don't say!



Mika
finnRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #119
wrx_02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 188471
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Default

I forgot but there is a post for a 20k RC51 with tons of extras and he has all maintenance papers. It is post at Tucker Rocky in Fort Worth. When my roommate gets back I will have him check when he goes into work.

I think he wants like 4,500$ and it looks good.
wrx_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #120
jamesohoh7
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 39070
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Strongbadia
Vehicle:
--
GTF off my lawn!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnRex View Post
You actually got me thinking about the Super Hawk. The reason I was leaning so much towards the SV was because I rode it and it felt dang nice. I was told by some riders that the Super Hawk was "meh" on the performance side.

There are better deals in Houston than there are in Dallas. It seems that the folks around here act like their stuff doesn't stink. In Dallas?!?!? Ya don't say!

Mika
Well, the 'knock' on superhawks is that they are not the 'sharpest' of handlers, but mostly when compared to something like a 'plastic-fantastic'. They're not the best for track-duty. If you're looking for corner carving at better than 8/10, it's probably not the bike. Also, they run out of breath about 125ish... but sheesh, how often do you really intend to go that fast?

They're carb'ed vs. fuel-inj like on the SV1K, so that's a minus for a lot of folks too. Aaaannd... they have a small'ish gas-tank, not 'wonderful' mileage numbers, and thus have limited range to about 150'ish miles at the most.

They do tend to be affordable though, you won't find an sv1k in the same price-point usually, unless it's beaten to death.

I'm wanting the sv1k's too b/c it seems like a nice 'everything' bike, but people still want pretty good coin for 'em. *heavy sigh* So!, the current best alternative is something like a superhawk, outside of finding a lucky deal somewhere.

Ha!.. yeah, Dallas folks == snooty!.. this is not news!
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #121
finnRex
RIP Donny
Moderator
 
Member#: 21095
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Miss you, Charlie Murphy.
Vehicle:
RIP KTH & LMFH
'09 Crystal red Tintcoat

Default

I live my life 1/4 mile at a time, dammit. 125 doesn't cut it for me. Seriously though, I don't plan on going too fast on it, just getting there quickly. Which is why I <3 torque. I may have something in the works here for an SV1k. We shall see.

I've used search tempest, and the best "deals" out there are SV's in the 4k range. I found an '07 SV1k in Plano for $5250. 7k miles on her. That's a good deal for a bike as new as it is. I'm not crazy about the rainbow racers out there(multicolor editions ).

James thanks for your input and help dude. Same to you wrx 02. I appreciate your advice.


Mika
finnRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #122
wrx_02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 188471
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnRex View Post
I live my life 1/4 mile at a time, dammit. 125 doesn't cut it for me. Seriously though, I don't plan on going too fast on it, just getting there quickly. Which is why I <3 torque. I may have something in the works here for an SV1k. We shall see.

I've used search tempest, and the best "deals" out there are SV's in the 4k range. I found an '07 SV1k in Plano for $5250. 7k miles on her. That's a good deal for a bike as new as it is. I'm not crazy about the rainbow racers out there(multicolor editions ).

James thanks for your input and help dude. Same to you wrx 02. I appreciate your advice.


Mika
Post pictures when you get it, still havent done a bike meet yet
wrx_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #123
salaki
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 10572
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: RollYourFender
Vehicle:
92X N62B44, ST 1050
CGK, LAX, & DFW

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx_02 View Post
Post pictures when you get it, still havent done a bike meet yet
Want to wait for Mika to get his
salaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #124
wrx_02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 188471
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salaki View Post
Want to wait for Mika to get his
Maybe get the bike guys to ride out for the Grapevine meet? Might save some room......
wrx_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #125
salaki
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 10572
Join Date: Sep 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: RollYourFender
Vehicle:
92X N62B44, ST 1050
CGK, LAX, & DFW

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx_02 View Post
Maybe get the bike guys to ride out for the Grapevine meet? Might save some room......
Amen. Cause I don't have FHI car w/ me anymore.
And we can get VIP parking on the sidewalk
salaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
02/03 Oil leak Who's got one? enTarget South East Region Forum 4 03-20-2005 10:38 PM
GC8 Coupe wings - who's got one in BRP?? swappedGF Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 8 01-06-2005 02:44 PM
i want a impreza...who's got one?! Subecowboy General Forum Archive 17 03-06-2001 08:21 PM
Rallispec Light bar.Who's got one? RallyeX General Forum Archive 10 06-06-2000 09:59 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.