Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen 7.37@95
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default wheel and tire drag setup?

I am looking for a drag racing setup for a 07 wrx with stock brakes. I was thinking on going with 17x7 lightweight wheels with motorcycle slicks but I heard they are really difficult to mount.

The wheels can be 16" or 15" but they have to clear the calipers and that I can fit with the stock wheel studs. So what wheel size, offset do you recommend? And which tires, drag radials, slicks, something sticky? Please keep weight and traction in mind.

Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
juanmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
MattPersman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 139385
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Indiana
Default

you aren't the dude mounting the slicks are you? let the tire kids have fun mounting those slicks, they will give you the best traction over a radial tire for all out traction. only problem I ever had was balancing a few slicks or ET streets, mounting was never an issue
MattPersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
xdrian
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 104200
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Metuchen NJ
Vehicle:
828 WHP BUGEYE
Street Proven Performance

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmedina View Post
I am looking for a drag racing setup for a 07 wrx with stock brakes. I was thinking on going with 17x7 lightweight wheels with motorcycle slicks but I heard they are really difficult to mount.

The wheels can be 16" or 15" but they have to clear the calipers and that I can fit with the stock wheel studs. So what wheel size, offset do you recommend? And which tires, drag radials, slicks, something sticky? Please keep weight and traction in mind.

Thanks
16 inch rim with some 26inch slicks from hoosier, you should be good
xdrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
kellygnsd
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32669
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Rancho C
Vehicle:
2007 2.34LR, EFR7670
LINK G4 hybrid STi

Default

But all the cool kids in PR are running the MC tires. I'd ask them if you really want to know but honestly, are you that serious about dragging to justify the hassle? Are you running 11tybillion HP to the earf?
kellygnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
Junior2JZ
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 64908
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Tuning 8/9sec Subies @ P&L
Vehicle:
10.8 XT+10.0@143 GR+
2x9.0@170mph GTRs

Default

Depending on the HP you are making
16" will let you run a taller tire and you can benefit from gearing that way.
Junior2JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen 7.37@95
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
you aren't the dude mounting the slicks are you? let the tire kids have fun mounting those slicks, they will give you the best traction over a radial tire for all out traction. only problem I ever had was balancing a few slicks or ET streets, mounting was never an issue
Truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrian View Post
16 inch rim with some 26inch slicks from hoosier, you should be good
What offset wheel and width? What size of tires?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior2JZ View Post
Depending on the HP you are making
16" will let you run a taller tire and you can benefit from gearing that way.
Good, the same questions as xdrian
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygnsd View Post
But all the cool kids in uPR are running the MC tires. I'd ask them if you really want to know but honestly, are you that serious about dragging to justify the hassle? Are you running 11tybillion HP to the earf?
the wheels and motorcycle slicks come out at 1k that's a great price and they provide excellent traction EVOs have cut a 1.3 . Also, weight savings I think it will save me 70lbs.
My car has a V39 on E85 and is a WRX, and I am not going to go to the track with 18x9.5 wheels
juanmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
cucamelsmd15
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 122980
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, NC
Vehicle:
2010 F150, 2013 CX-5
92 Miata 15 TTF/PTF/E3

Default

IBblowntransmission/diff/axle
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
Phatron
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 36033
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Tuning Lab
Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygnsd View Post
are you that serious about dragging to justify the hassle? Are you running 11tybillion HP to the earf?
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmedina View Post
My car has a V39 on E85 and is a WRX, and I am not going to go to the track with 18x9.5 wheels
Im with kelly on this one.

Spend the money on a 20g and injectors. You're gonna spend $1000+ on wheels/tires that you're gonna use like 6 times a year.

Might as well spend it on something you get to use everyday....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
IBblowntransmission/diff/axle
this too. hooking up like that is gonna shock the hell outta your driveline.
Phatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen 7.37@95
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

I just want to see what this thing can do? I either buy them or borrow them.
juanmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
Phatron
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 36033
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Tuning Lab
Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

Default

Is it worth $4000 for a new tranny to "see what she can do"?

I'd rather bench race on this one.....go run a 12.5 and then assume you could've run a 12.1 with the slicks.
Phatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen 7.37@95
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatron View Post
Is it worth $4000 for a new tranny to "see what she can do"?

I'd rather bench race on this one.....go run a 12.5 and then assume you could've run a 12.1 with the slicks.
I am already making more power than my tranny is suppose to handle, what's the point of moding if you are not going to race. Probably my big ass wheels put as much stress as the lightweight wheels with slicks. My car will be on the mid to high 2700 lbs with the slicks, and 6k for a new tranny
juanmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
kaos200
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2692
Join Date: Oct 2000
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SoCal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmedina View Post
I am already making more power than my tranny is suppose to handle, what's the point of moding if you are not going to race. Probably my big ass wheels put as much stress as the lightweight wheels with slicks. My car will be on the mid to high 2700 lbs with the slicks, and 6k for a new tranny
You've cut 400+ pounds out of your 07?
Inquiring minds want to know how
kaos200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
jasv11
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 117862
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: INNOVATIVE TUNING
Vehicle:
2006 STi 10.85@129.4
96 impreza 9.55e.t.146mph

Default

The MT motorcycle slicks are only difficult to mount on a 8 inch wheel.

If your putting them on 7 inch wide wheel it wont be as bad, the tire shop just needs to use a air blaster to get the bead to grab.

Stock turbo?? just buy a set of Drag radials that you can use on the street and get more use out of them that way.

Also go to the track when the higher HP cars run as they usually prep the track much better those days then they do on the test and tune nights where Honda's drag the water up to the line with there back tires
jasv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
Phatron
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 36033
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Tuning Lab
Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmedina View Post
I am already making more power than my tranny is suppose to handle, what's the point of moding if you are not going to race. Probably my big ass wheels put as much stress as the lightweight wheels with slicks. My car will be on the mid to high 2700 lbs with the slicks, and 6k for a new tranny
i broke mine with a vf34 on.

your 18" arent doing a thing compared to a clutch drop with slicks on.....
Phatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #15
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen 7.37@95
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatron View Post
i broke mine with a vf34 on.

your 18" arent doing a thing compared to a clutch drop with slicks on.....
from EVOM

Quote:
posted by Warrtalon
EvoCrazy, you should see our argument in the Drag forum, although it's deep within a 900-post thread. Slicks are NOT more damaging - they are less damaging to the drivetrain unless you do something wrong. Street tires and DRs will be more prone to wheel hop (street tires are worse) while slicks will take all the shock and put it into traction due to the tire walls wrinkling.
juanmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #16
STi Mikey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 114631
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: TheShopCT / EFI LOGICS
Vehicle:
2009 GTR, 735whp
13' Benz, 15' WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmedina View Post
from EVOM

***********
Juan, you only have a 39 on your car. Before getting crazy, try what I will be doing this weekend. Im on coilovers, so I'm jacking up the back and reducing tire pressure form 30psi to 20psi. Last weekend I spun and spun, this weekend, I expect to hook. I think hooking alone will give me the record given conditions and driving are relative.

My car is currently slammed. I figure if I relieve 33% of tire pressure, and loosen up the rear, there should be plenty of give into hooking. Ive always dragged these cars almost as is. Sometimes some weight reduction. This weekend I will be dragging my STi as a drag car. Weight out, low tire pressure, and plenty of rear suspension play. I pray for 1.60-1.65's. Those 60 ft's should yield high 11.5 to low 11.7's
STi Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #17
SubyWill
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 166830
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Orlando, FL
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
WRB

Default

IBtrannygoboom
SubyWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #18
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen 7.37@95
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior2JZ View Post
Depending on the HP you are making
16" will let you run a taller tire and you can benefit from gearing that way.
you use Mikey thompson's on the 08 sti, correct?
juanmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #19
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen 7.37@95
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi Mikey View Post
Juan, you only have a 39 on your car. Before getting crazy, try what I will be doing this weekend. Im on coilovers, so I'm jacking up the back and reducing tire pressure form 30psi to 20psi. Last weekend I spun and spun, this weekend, I expect to hook. I think hooking alone will give me the record given conditions and driving are relative.

My car is currently slammed. I figure if I relieve 33% of tire pressure, and loosen up the rear, there should be plenty of give into hooking. Ive always dragged these cars almost as is. Sometimes some weight reduction. This weekend I will be dragging my STi as a drag car. Weight out, low tire pressure, and plenty of rear suspension play. I pray for 1.60-1.65's. Those 60 ft's should yield high 11.5 to low 11.7's
I have coilovers as well, someone told me to set them to the stiffest settings, maybe I go to the track with the car as it is. How wide 16" wheels and what offset will work in my car? maybe I get the nitto r555 I heard they are drivable on the street and the don't wear out as fast.
juanmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #20
wrxwhat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87653
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Orlando, FL
Vehicle:
500 hp STI / 1100hp
Supra T / Stock G35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi Mikey View Post
Juan, you only have a 39 on your car. Before getting crazy, try what I will be doing this weekend. Im on coilovers, so I'm jacking up the back and reducing tire pressure form 30psi to 20psi. Last weekend I spun and spun, this weekend, I expect to hook. I think hooking alone will give me the record given conditions and driving are relative.

My car is currently slammed. I figure if I relieve 33% of tire pressure, and loosen up the rear, there should be plenty of give into hooking. Ive always dragged these cars almost as is. Sometimes some weight reduction. This weekend I will be dragging my STi as a drag car. Weight out, low tire pressure, and plenty of rear suspension play. I pray for 1.60-1.65's. Those 60 ft's should yield high 11.5 to low 11.7's
if you can't do 1.6x with all that power on the stock turbo, then you fail
wrxwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #21
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee, wi
Vehicle:
03 emo 8/2011 wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmedina View Post
I have coilovers as well, someone told me to set them to the stiffest settings, maybe I go to the track with the car as it is. How wide 16" wheels and what offset will work in my car? maybe I get the nitto r555 I heard they are drivable on the street and the don't wear out as fast.
my buddy has the 555r's on his camaro. they handle like a decent summer tire at full pressure. they only get squirmy when you air them down to 25 psi or less. they arent as good as the full on drag tires, but handling/driveability/wear is 10x better.
n2oiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #22
jasv11
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 117862
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: INNOVATIVE TUNING
Vehicle:
2006 STi 10.85@129.4
96 impreza 9.55e.t.146mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmedina View Post
from EVOM

osted by Warrtalon
EvoCrazy, you should see our argument in the Drag forum, although it's deep within a 900-post thread. Slicks are NOT more damaging - they are less damaging to the drivetrain unless you do something wrong. Street tires and DRs will be more prone to wheel hop (street tires are worse) while slicks will take all the shock and put it into traction due to the tire walls wrinkling.

***********
Ha ha ha Warrtalon has never launched his car with slicks and is talking out his arse.

If he thinks the slicks will krinkle and save his drivetrain.

yes they will krinkle..........and then they'll hook..........bang all in one thousands of a second.

Heres a vid of what happens when you launch with slicks with stage 2 DSS axles

listen for the snap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUxJasJw-SQ
jasv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #23
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee, wi
Vehicle:
03 emo 8/2011 wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxwhat View Post
if you can't do 1.6x with all that power on the stock turbo, then you fail
and the 60' times better be in the 1.5 range. heck, quite a few guys on stock tires get mid 1.6's on stock sti's!
n2oiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #24
wrxwhat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87653
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Orlando, FL
Vehicle:
500 hp STI / 1100hp
Supra T / Stock G35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oiroc View Post
and the 60' times better be in the 1.5 range. heck, quite a few guys on stock tires get mid 1.6's on stock sti's!
17psi on 225/45/17 kdw2's got me 1.57 with way less power than this kid has
wrxwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #25
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee, wi
Vehicle:
03 emo 8/2011 wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxwhat View Post
17psi on 225/45/17 kdw2's got me 1.57 with way less power than this kid has
exactly my point. if he goes and pulls 1.8's with slicks then he better get ready for a flaming. my first time down the track with my stage 2 sti and i pulled a 1.70 60'. more practice and i bet i could have pulled some lower 1.6's.
n2oiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB winter wheel and tire setup fred6870 Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 2 10-07-2009 08:23 PM
My wheel and tire setup (370Z) - need expert advise. DannyGT Tire & Wheel 8 02-14-2009 02:58 AM
FS: Race wheel and tire setup - 18x10's and 18x8.5's with V710's.... AndrewSS Suspension/Brakes/Handling 10 09-21-2008 10:13 PM
Whats The Best Wheel And Tire Size Setup? Turk Technical Forum Archive 4 07-26-2000 10:35 AM
Whats The Best Wheel And Tire Size Setup? Turk General Forum Archive 1 07-25-2000 10:15 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.