Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club Forum sponsored by Annapolis Subaru
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
Eric
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48
Join Date: Jun 1999
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Charlotte Hall, Maryland, USA
Vehicle:
1999 Impretza 2.5
silver

News New Autocross site in Waldorf, Maryland

Autocrossers Incorporated will host three autocrosses at the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs/Regency Furniture Stadium in Waldorf, Maryland. In addition to the Southern Maryland dates we will host three events at Fed Ex Field in Landover, MD.

March 22, May 3 and August 16. at the Blue Crabs/Regency Stadium
April 11, June 7 and a TBD October date at Fed Ex Field

The Waldorf site is much closer to the Richmond, Fredericksburg area's than Fed Ex Field. Yet its still not much longer from Alexandria and Fairfax than Fed Ex Field is. And as always A.I. will have great course designs and event operation.

Coming to Waldorf for a weekend or day out is great too, there are plenty of places to eat and shop. There are car service centers, some open on Sunday's for tire mounting and balancing very close to the stadium as well. After the events there are plenty of places for groups to gather and bench race. Its a great community and a great event site too!

A.I. is pleased to announce we have sponsorship from Yokohama again this year and will be giving away three sets of Yokohama's though Radial Tire Company in Silver Spring, Maryland this year in contingency. In addition to this we will have Yokohama swag at the end of each event and season champion trophies for all classes that qualify!

For more information:
www.autocrossersinc.com

Register now in the Autocrossers Incorporated calendar:
www.dlbracing.com
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
irish44j
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 191290
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Burke, VA
Vehicle:
09 OPB SM WRXsedan
85 BMW E30 M2 Rallycrossr

Default

Eric, how's the lot size compared to, say, Ripken Stadium?

Just wondering since I've never been there and it doesn't seem to exist on Google Earth...
irish44j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Eric
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48
Join Date: Jun 1999
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Charlotte Hall, Maryland, USA
Vehicle:
1999 Impretza 2.5
silver

Default

Its bigger than Ripken. I have an overhead shot of the stadium taken by a skydiver, I'll see if I can get it posted into this thread...


Last edited by Eric; 03-06-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
irish44j
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 191290
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Burke, VA
Vehicle:
09 OPB SM WRXsedan
85 BMW E30 M2 Rallycrossr

Default

sweet, and way closer! Count me in!
irish44j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
steverx05
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 128269
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
'12 Audi TTRS
Suzuka Grey

Default

I don't know much about autocrossing...are you allowed to come watch if you're not running your car? I would love to get into it someday.
steverx05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
jagcars26
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2394
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Bel Air Md.
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT wagon
2009 Forester X

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverx05 View Post
I don't know much about autocrossing...are you allowed to come watch if you're not running your car? I would love to get into it someday.
Yes,even if your not participating it makes fr an enjoyable afternoon.
jagcars26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
mygreenbird007
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 154767
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Vehicle:
2004 PSM WRX ESP 35
2001 BRP 2.5RS

Default

Hoping to head down, visit the fam and autocross all at once on one or two of those weekends. I don't know if I'd plan a weekend trip around visiting Waldorf though...haha (I lived there for 18 years; it's a special place... ).

^^ Watching is how my husband and I got into autocross. We saw an event happening at one of the local venues here, stopped in and were hooked.
mygreenbird007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
Harry
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 23390
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STI SE
WRB

Default ride alongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverx05 View Post
I don't know much about autocrossing...are you allowed to come watch if you're not running your car? I would love to get into it someday.
Come on out - a great way to see if it looks like something you want to try. Most of the AX crowd is friendly and you can ask for a ride along on one of the runs, to see it up close.

- Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-09-2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: gramr n spelin
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
steverx05
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 128269
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
'12 Audi TTRS
Suzuka Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygreenbird007 View Post
Hoping to head down, visit the fam and autocross all at once on one or two of those weekends. I don't know if I'd plan a weekend trip around visiting Waldorf though...haha (I lived there for 18 years; it's a special place... ).

^^ Watching is how my husband and I got into autocross. We saw an event happening at one of the local venues here, stopped in and were hooked.
+1 on Waldorf being a "special" place I lived there for about 20 years too.

Should be fun, I've never been to one before. I figured I would go and check it out in person and talk to some people and see what it's all about and then try out the one in May.
steverx05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
mla163
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 104922
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NoVA
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverx05 View Post
+1 on Waldorf being a "special" place I lived there for about 20 years too.

Should be fun, I've never been to one before. I figured I would go and check it out in person and talk to some people and see what it's all about and then try out the one in May.
come on out steve, just look for the subies. I'll give you a ridealong
mla163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
steverx05
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 128269
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
'12 Audi TTRS
Suzuka Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mla163 View Post
come on out steve, just look for the subies. I'll give you a ridealong
Awesome!!! I'm excited now
steverx05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
irish44j
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 191290
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Burke, VA
Vehicle:
09 OPB SM WRXsedan
85 BMW E30 M2 Rallycrossr

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Come on out - a great way to see if it looks like something you want to try. Most of the AX crowd is friendly and you can ask for a ride along on one of the runs, to see it up close.

- Hary
you can ride along with me, and then I'll have an excuse when I finish bottom of the pack
irish44j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
steverx05
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 128269
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
'12 Audi TTRS
Suzuka Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
you can ride along with me, and then I'll have an excuse when I finish bottom of the pack
Awesome man, didn't know if you were going to be there or not. Sounds like a lot of fun
steverx05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
Gonz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 18642
Join Date: May 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
Eric, how's the lot size compared to, say, Ripken Stadium?

Just wondering since I've never been there and it doesn't seem to exist on Google Earth...
It's in Smalldorf after all. The satellites probably missed it.




Does AI require yearly memberships?
Gonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
sti robot
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 110932
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
DGM

Default

Awesome.

What's the sign up procedure with AI?
sti robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #16
CamaroFS34
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6850
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: SoBWI, MD
Vehicle:
Lots of ESP cars
'06 IAG WRX & LT1 Z28s :)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonz View Post
It's in Smalldorf after all. The satellites probably missed it.




Does AI require yearly memberships?
AI is a chapter club of SCCA, so you do have to at least be a temporary SCCA member. If you aren't currently an SCCA member, the weekend membership is $10 (that's why the "non-member" price is $45 while the member price is $35). However, if you decide to join SCCA, your temporary membership receipt is good for $15 off the full year price. If you attend another SCCA event as a non-member within 60 days of the first, you can get an additional $15 off the full year price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti robot View Post
Awesome.

What's the sign up procedure with AI?
Go to DLBracing.com and look for "Autocrossers, Inc" under the clubs tab. Registration is through there.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1702945 is the original thread for the AI events. I don't know why Eric started another.

Karen
CamaroFS34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #17
Eric
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48
Join Date: Jun 1999
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Charlotte Hall, Maryland, USA
Vehicle:
1999 Impretza 2.5
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverx05 View Post
+1 on Waldorf being a "special" place I lived there for about 20 years too.

Should be fun, I've never been to one before. I figured I would go and check it out in person and talk to some people and see what it's all about and then try out the one in May.
Now I realize that Waldorf is 'special' and carries the stigma of cows and tobacco fields, I too have lived in So. MD for over 30 years. But seriously, compared to Landover, or Aberdeen (our recent sites), Waldorf is a lot safer than Landover, and has more places to eat and get together as groups after the events than both. Waldorf can offer good shopping for those who may want to kill two cones with one drift, or bring girlfriends/wives who do not participate. And to top it off, we are close enough to real crab houses that you could actually race at the Blue Crabs and then go enjoy some fresh steamed Blue Crabs! Capt. Billy's is only about 20 min. from the Stadium and is one of the top rated crab houses in MD. There are plenty of restraunts/bars in Waldorf, such as Hard Times which has a huge pool hall attached to the normal chili spot. Also basically every cuisine is represented in Waldorf as well.

Since our event format is changing, we are anticipating our event being over by 3 PM. That leaves a lot of the day left to get out and enjoy the trip. No reason to just rush home. So do come out and play or watch at our event, but also realize that once the day is over, there are a lot of things groups of friends or couples can do together here in Southern Maryland that you would not be able to do quite as easily at other autocross sites. If you have not been here in a few years, the area continues to grow, and honestly, for the better.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #18
mygreenbird007
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 154767
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Vehicle:
2004 PSM WRX ESP 35
2001 BRP 2.5RS

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Now I realize that Waldorf is 'special' and carries the stigma of cows and tobacco fields, I too have lived in So. MD for over 30 years. But seriously, compared to Landover, or Aberdeen (our recent sites), Waldorf is a lot safer than Landover, and has more places to eat and get together as groups after the events than both. Waldorf can offer good shopping for those who may want to kill two cones with one drift, or bring girlfriends/wives who do not participate. And to top it off, we are close enough to real crab houses that you could actually race at the Blue Crabs and then go enjoy some fresh steamed Blue Crabs! Capt. Billy's is only about 20 min. from the Stadium and is one of the top rated crab houses in MD. There are plenty of restraunts/bars in Waldorf, such as Hard Times which has a huge pool hall attached to the normal chili spot. Also basically every cuisine is represented in Waldorf as well.

Since our event format is changing, we are anticipating our event being over by 3 PM. That leaves a lot of the day left to get out and enjoy the trip. No reason to just rush home. So do come out and play or watch at our event, but also realize that once the day is over, there are a lot of things groups of friends or couples can do together here in Southern Maryland that you would not be able to do quite as easily at other autocross sites. If you have not been here in a few years, the area continues to grow, and honestly, for the better.
My intent wasn't to knock your post or Waldorf; it's grown a lot and but I think it is still finding its niche (since it's becoming more about the 301 corridor rather than the cows and tobacco fields anymore) - hence the 'special.' +1 for Capt. Billy's - great place to hang out and eat outside. If you want to stay in Waldorf, there is also Hooter's for those who like the wings (of course!), a good Mexican restaurant down towards La Plata and a pretty decent sushi place, Kodori - all on 301.

Waldorf aside - I believe my husband and I will be down for the first one.

irish44j, you'll have steep competition from me for bottom of the pack (this will be my second event ever).
mygreenbird007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #19
steverx05
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 128269
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
'12 Audi TTRS
Suzuka Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygreenbird007 View Post
My intent wasn't to knock your post or Waldorf; it's grown a lot and but I think it is still finding its niche (since it's becoming more about the 301 corridor rather than the cows and tobacco fields anymore) - hence the 'special.' +1 for Capt. Billy's - great place to hang out and eat outside. If you want to stay in Waldorf, there is also Hooter's for those who like the wings (of course!), a good Mexican restaurant down towards La Plata and a pretty decent sushi place, Kodori - all on 301.

Waldorf aside - I believe my husband and I will be down for the first one.

irish44j, you'll have steep competition from me for bottom of the pack (this will be my second event ever).
Cows and tobacco fields??? What part of Waldorf are you guys talking about? You have to venture down into La Plata, towards Indian Head, or down into St. Mary's or Calvert county to start seeing any kind of real farm land. Waldorf, for the most part, is pretty urbanized.

I will agree though, it's still better than a lot of places around the DC area and there's plenty of food/shopping to be had. I was excited to see them build the stadium down there before I moved and even more excited about the autocross events that they're having there.

Oh and +1 for Kodori....some of the BEST sushi in the area.
steverx05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #20
Eric
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 48
Join Date: Jun 1999
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Charlotte Hall, Maryland, USA
Vehicle:
1999 Impretza 2.5
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygreenbird007 View Post
My intent wasn't to knock your post or Waldorf; it's grown a lot and but I think it is still finding its niche (since it's becoming more about the 301 corridor rather than the cows and tobacco fields anymore) - hence the 'special.' +1 for Capt. Billy's - great place to hang out and eat outside. If you want to stay in Waldorf, there is also Hooter's for those who like the wings (of course!), a good Mexican restaurant down towards La Plata and a pretty decent sushi place, Kodori - all on 301.

Waldorf aside - I believe my husband and I will be down for the first one.

irish44j, you'll have steep competition from me for bottom of the pack (this will be my second event ever).
I know you're not knocking things, I just wanted to say that there is more than just a race here since a lot of people have never ventured to this part of town. All to often AX events are in remote areas and I wanted everyone to know the opportunities here. That was really the whole point to the post, was to get some banter going about what there is to do here on a day out. I appreciate all the first hand knowledge and I'm glad you're coming to our event, it should be a great day. Lets hope the weather is just like today!

BTW, Capt. Billy's is open for the season. And Thai Seafood Grill on 301 has great Thai food.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #21
irish44j
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 191290
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Burke, VA
Vehicle:
09 OPB SM WRXsedan
85 BMW E30 M2 Rallycrossr

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygreenbird007 View Post

irish44j, you'll have steep competition from me for bottom of the pack (this will be my second event ever).
doubtful. Though I have probably 50 events under my belt over the years, all of them were either in RWD vintage sportscars or a FWD big sedan (ESP maxima), neither of which you have to worry about dealing with boost and driving to suit. Now I have to learn a new car, sort out the handling, and get whooped by the real set-up guys in STU

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverx05 View Post
Awesome man, didn't know if you were going to be there or not. Sounds like a lot of fun
just come find me (black 09 sedan). Honestly, some of my best runs are sometimes with passengers strangely enough.
irish44j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #22
mygreenbird007
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 154767
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Vehicle:
2004 PSM WRX ESP 35
2001 BRP 2.5RS

Default

Just signed up for the Evo school the day before! Very excited for this - going to bring out an audience to Sunday too.
mygreenbird007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Autocross Facility in Columbia City, IN FantaSTIc4 Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 7 02-25-2009 07:39 AM
Possible *NEW* Autocross lot in central NC (Raleigh, NC)?? GreenMarine South East Region Forum 14 09-03-2008 11:31 PM
Potential New RallyCross site in San Diego/Chula Vista?` Coati Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 0 06-07-2007 05:01 PM
New to Site in Charlotte, NC michaelh24 South East Region Forum 11 03-29-2006 11:49 PM
new autocross site? martel South East Region Forum 0 04-30-2002 04:37 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.