Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday November 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
mellow65
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 83350
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
Too Many

Default input from the phase 2 ej25 swappers using 1.8ecu needed

it's not a question of if it's doable, i know it's doable, i run a phase 2 ej25 in my 90 legacy using all the 2.2 stuff right now

the question is, has anyone ever ran into issues with pinging or detonation running the phase 2 ej25 with the 1.8 ecu. the 2.2s have a knock sensor but the 1.8s do not. and this is all assuming i'm running super for fuel.

i'm looking at swapping my ej25 in a 93 impreza that might be my next rally car so i'll be beating the piss out of it. but if there is concerns about possibly killing my motor due to detonation i would figure out how to run a 2.2 ecu because i have had no problems with that set up. and having that buffer of a knock sensor is nice.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mellow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

I've only run a phase I EJ25 off the EJ18 ECU. I have run a phase II EJ22 off of it though....with no problems at 10:1 compression. I keep that ECU around for emissions testing and use(d) either an EJ22 or EJ25 ECU for other driving. I added a pin to my ECU harness and ran a wire out to the knock sensor, which solved the noticable timing drop when run without it. YMMV

Jay
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
mellow65
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
Too Many

are you talking obd2 ecus?

because what i'm finding is that obd1 1.8 and the obd1 2.2 ecus have completely different ecu plugs. a thought i had would be to maybe depin the 1.8 plugs and repin them with to use the 2.2 ecu. but might be just as easy to lay a 2.2 harness in because i really like how my legacy runs with the 2.2 ecu running the ej25.

but good to know that 10:1 had no issues. I figured running super would cover me for most things but having a knock sensor would be nice insurance.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
Storm
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

Yes, I was referring to OBDII ECU's.

I would keep running the EJ22 harness and add a knock sensor pin to the harness.

Jay
Old 03-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
mellow65
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
Yes, I was referring to OBDII ECU's.

I would keep running the EJ22 harness and add a knock sensor pin to the harness.

Jay
yes but that requires hacking down an ej22 harness and putting it in the impreza. not that i haven't done it a few times before, but it's still no fun.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Storm
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

For me, it was 1 pin to add to my ECU harness plug, and I had an extra plug that came with a spare ECU. I figured out how to remove the pins and went to town. It was a couple hours of work.

Do a search for repinning ECU plugs or something like that, I know it's been discussed before.

Jay
Old 03-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
mellow65
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
For me, it was 1 pin to add to my ECU harness plug, and I had an extra plug that came with a spare ECU. I figured out how to remove the pins and went to town. It was a couple hours of work.

Do a search for repinning ECU plugs or something like that, I know it's been discussed before.

Jay
not so easy on the obd1 stuff, the legacy has a 4 plug ecu and the impreza has a 3. so major repining would be needed. but i figure both being obd1 there would be about the same amount of pins. i know of a couple things the 1.8 has that the 2.2 doesn't like an EGR valve. so you just would leave those unhooked. but i'll do some searching. thanks
Old 04-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
jester409
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 64376
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
04 WRX
WRB

Subscribing in hope of some updated info on the 18>25 swap... I've got an 05 phase II ej25 (auto trans motor) that I am preparing to install in my 95 L w/ 1.8 and manual trans using my current 1.8 computer and harness. Would really like to run the knock sensor if it is possible without major harness hacking, but from what I have seen it most likely isn't necessary. I want to make sure I have everything I need before I jump into this.

I have read everything that Hawk296 has posted regarding this particular conversion, but that info is 5 years old. He didn't run a knock sensor and seemed to have good results.
jester409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
mellow65
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
Too Many

i ended up finding that there really it would be easier to lay in a ej22 harness and ecu rather then trying to used the ej18 harness with a ej22 ecu. the number of wires running to each harness is way different.

ej18=64

ej22=76

and that's just counting the holes in each plug to the ecu, there may be less to each i don't know i haven't gotten that far yet.

but if you want to check it out i did a pretty good write up about swapping a ej25 into my 90 legacy. not a step by step, but it covers all the big stuff. and honestly it was pretty damn easy.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...ad.php?t=83839