Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday August 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
JamesWilson2
ForumWars Winner!

Member#: 196948
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2003 Forester
Silver

Question Center Diff replacement and cost?

Sorry guys but to preface I have extremely limited internet access....I picked up a '97 Impreza L AWD manual from Ohio and am 500+ miles into my road trip back home to Houston, and the center diff gave up the ghost. It will go straight (with noise), but shudders and "brakes"/provides resistance in low-speed and parking lot/gas station turns. Shifting is awesome, clutch is fantastic, just the above problems.

I have MANY more miles to cover (for some reason NASIOC is the only site I can access, all others have Page Load Errors, so no Google Maps for me), and need to see if it is possible to make it. Verizon does not work in Nashville, both my cell phone and broadband card are not functional..."borrowing" some unsecured access as we speak.

When I get back to Houston, I need to see if it is cost-effective to remove trans, split case, remove center diff & replace, button back up and reinstall, or just put another unknown used transmission in it. Budget is extremely tight, especially if I am adding days away from work to get this car back to TX.

PS-- what stock center viscous diffs will fit in that transmission?

Any help would be great. Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
JamesWilson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Tim Sanderson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6486
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
00 Impreza 2.5 RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

I'm pretty sure any 98 or older center diff will work for you. You don't need to split the case to replace the center diff. If you're looking for used contact DS1, a vendor here or you could also try Andrewtech. If you're looking for new then check with an online subie parts dealer.
Tim Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sanderson View Post
I'm pretty sure any 98 or older center diff will work for you. You don't need to split the case to replace the center diff. If you're looking for used contact DS1, a vendor here or you could also try Andrewtech. If you're looking for new then check with an online subie parts dealer.
and I dont know about the transfer gear ratio, but they MUST match or something else will fail quickly
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
DS1
Vendor

Member#: 111780

The older cases only came 1:1

I can send you a used center diff for $150

All you have to do is pop the rear cover off the trans and slide the new one in. You don't have to pull the trans.

-Dylan @ DS1
DS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
JamesWilson2
ForumWars Winner!

Vehicle:
2003 Forester
Silver

^^^^ I like the way you think, Dylan! Will be contacting you this week, just got off the road (1400 miles from the great lakes to the Gulf of Mexico....all with a bad center diff and cracked oil pan!!).
Old 03-24-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
Tim Sanderson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6486
Vehicle:
00 Impreza 2.5 RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

And the center diff has nothing to do with the transfer gears anyway.
Tim Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
JamesWilson2
ForumWars Winner!

Vehicle:
2003 Forester
Silver

Transmissions are a mysterious black art to me...I have personally chosen to disregard all potential learned knowledge about them, and bow to those who Know.

PS-- any good links on center diff replacement instructions? Even something I can hand the shop, so they can accurately estimate the labor (and not just R&R entire trans)?

THANKS!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
JamesWilson2
ForumWars Winner!

Vehicle:
2003 Forester
Silver

So a buddy had his replaced, I'm assuming with a new Subaru OEM part, and p & l ended up being $1200 at the dealership...so $550 for the part and the rest labor. That sucks. I need to find a good independent shop that can do it (need the car by April 4-5) for much less than that