Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
GriffithBuilt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 141927
Default EJ22 Wont Start...

My EJ22 (from a '93 Legacy) that I have in my Vanagon is behaving oddly. I came to the end of an offramp and it died, I fired it back up (extremely slow cranking, but it started) and then drove it another 5 miles to work where it failed again but would not start again.

Lo and behold my negative battery terminal on one of two batteries had come loose. I reattached it and charged the batteries and then tried to fire it up again. It is cranking but it sounds a little odd, like it is rattling a bit, but not cranking fast like a timing belt failure. But, if it was a timing belt failure, what would be the quickest way to check for that? Can I take the plastic cam pulley covers off easily? There appear to be three bolts holding each of them onto the timing cover.

There are a litany of items that may have failed and I'm trying to diagnose one piece at a time. I pulled the fuses from the stereo system to avoid any potential draw issues it may have caused and I have checked the water level in one of the two batteries and it appears fine. The fuel pump is priming appropriately but I'm not sure if I'm getting spark. I'm also not sure if the alternator was working correctly, but that shouldn't stop me from starting the engine on battery.

Because the engine is in the back of the vehicle and the ignition switch is up in the front on the steering column, I'm wondering if there is a way for me to easily test the coil to see if it has failed or if I am getting spark in general. If I had someone here I could have them crank it and put a spare plug in one of the plug leads and ground it to see if it is functioning.

Thanks,

Jason
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
GriffithBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
GriffithBuilt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 141927

Well I got it to start and it really seems to be a rod knock or a wristpin knock of some kind. Only other items I can think of are hydraulic lash adjusters that are either GONE or horribly stuck in the 'not pumped up' orientation.

Can't tell if it's got oil pressure or not. The idiot light goes out when it starts but my VDO gauge and sender won't work because they're M10 straight and not pipe thread. Next step is to get a mechanical gauge that will fit I guess.

Jason
GriffithBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote