Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports > Autocross

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
veener79
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 204304
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: IL
Vehicle:
2008 WRX 4D Stage 2
Silver

Default Tire PSI for Kumho Ecsta MX 225-45-17 08 WRX

I just had my Kumho Ecsta MX 225-45-17 installed. I am not sure what tire pressures to run off the track.

From posting before it looks like when I autocross I should run the tires at 40 in the fronts and 45 in the rears. When I am off the track what pressure should I run these tires at?

Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
veener79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
StuBeck
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 19546
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Rochester, NY
Vehicle:
2009 Honda Fit

Default

Normal as other tires.
StuBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post
Normal as other tires.
no....I dont think so.....and 'normal' is a nebulous answer

When I used the MX....they seemed to like more pressure.....like 39-41psi and also more negative camber than some tires I've used
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
veener79
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 204304
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: IL
Vehicle:
2008 WRX 4D Stage 2
Silver

Default

If I am running autocross and daily driving what is a good setup for my car? I would like to get the most out my my car and tires. Does the 08 need camber bolts or is that something that is built in to be adjustable?
veener79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
tuskenraider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 65699
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: S.S. Chicago
Vehicle:
15 WRX
WR Blue

Default

The best setup for both with the stock suspension is as much camber as you can get up front and as little as possible in the rear. The front has camber bolts for adjustment, you can take it to an alignment shop(one that actually has some experience in race applicatons) and hope to get about -1 or so and you'll want 0 toe. Rear has no adjustment, but you can loosen bolts and tighten the slop, 0 toe as well. Adding rear bolts would boot you from stock class.
tuskenraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
sdecker
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14717
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Road Atlanta
Vehicle:
2002 WRX, WR Blue
Complete n00b Racing

Default

Not to derail your topic, but be careful with these tires.

I had a set installed (225/40/18) when my Pilot Sports wore out, mainly because they seemed to offer a lot of the performance of the PS at about half the price.

At the time, the local highly respected performance tire dealer told me I would not be happy with them. I didn't have much of a choice so I told them to put them on anyway.

Camber was set to -0.5. 8000 highway miles later, the inner 1/2" edge of BOTH fronts actually delaminated while I was on the highway doing 70.

Called the tire store, who gave me the Kumho customer service/warranty number. Called 6 times in a week - no response, no call back, nothing.

Went back to the tire dealer and they gladly replaced all four of them at no cost (yay for customer service!). In my conversation with them, they implied that they had a LOT of trouble with these tires, "they can't handle ANY camber", etc. They verified the previous alignment was still good before replacing and re-aligning. I was in the shop and saw the results so it wasn't word of mouth.

Perhaps it was a bad batch, I don't know. I don't want to speculate on their QA or tarnish the Kumho name. In fact, I run Victoracers for track days! I'm just letting you know to keep a sharp eye on the inner edges if you are running any camber at all.

PM me if you want the tire dealer info.

Back on topic -- when I had them, I ran 32 pounds F/R on the street.
sdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Big_DeWeY
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 37078
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: TH Motorsports
Vehicle:
95 L
Blue-ish

Default

I assuming 51 PSI isn't correct then Neil?

Scott, these were the same tires you had issues with? That's good to know.
Big_DeWeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
sdecker
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14717
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Road Atlanta
Vehicle:
2002 WRX, WR Blue
Complete n00b Racing

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_DeWeY View Post
I assuming 51 PSI isn't correct then Neil?

Scott, these were the same tires you had issues with? That's good to know.
Correct. Fortunately my tire guy is 'da man' and made it right for me.
sdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
dan240
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 57969
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Socal
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
WRB

Default

sdecker---

Many people run ALOT of static camber on dual duty street cars all the time. I've gone through two sets of kumho MX's running 3.5 degrees of camber in the front. With a little bit of autocrossing and rotating my tires I have not had any abnormal tire wear. I do see a lot more tramlining with this set up.

Camber doesn't kill tires, Toe kills tires. A half a degree of camber is nothing. I believe Subaru's allowance for a factory alignment allows for almost 1.5 degrees in the rear.

I suspect you either got part of a badge batch of tires or you had some toe issues.

Sorry I added to the thread jack.
dan240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
sdecker
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14717
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Road Atlanta
Vehicle:
2002 WRX, WR Blue
Complete n00b Racing

Rally Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan240 View Post
sdecker---

Many people run ALOT of static camber on dual duty street cars all the time. I've gone through two sets of kumho MX's running 3.5 degrees of camber in the front. With a little bit of autocrossing and rotating my tires I have not had any abnormal tire wear. I do see a lot more tramlining with this set up.

Camber doesn't kill tires, Toe kills tires. A half a degree of camber is nothing. I believe Subaru's allowance for a factory alignment allows for almost 1.5 degrees in the rear.

I suspect you either got part of a badge batch of tires or you had some toe issues.

Sorry I added to the thread jack.
I'm assuming bad batch. I watched the alignment tech take measurements before the new tires were put on, specifically because I thought alignment was much more likely than a bad batch. Everything was right on including toe.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
sdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #11
StuBeck
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 19546
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Rochester, NY
Vehicle:
2009 Honda Fit

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
no....I dont think so.....and 'normal' is a nebulous answer
Asking in the wrong forum is a silly place as well
StuBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
veener79
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 204304
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: IL
Vehicle:
2008 WRX 4D Stage 2
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post
Asking in the wrong forum is a silly place as well
Only reason I posted on this area instead of the tires was because when did a search for the correct PSI most of the things that came up where from this section.
veener79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
BSTON
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 178954
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
2008 Forester Sports X

Default

Like tuskenraider said, the rear has no bolts so you won't be able to adjust camber on the rear. On mine it was set at -1.3 deg.

You can adjust the front but you can't change the bolts or add anything if you want to keep the DS PAX index in the street tire class in Milwaukee. If you change any parts it will most likely bump you up to STU where you won't even have a chance to be competitive. If you want the car to handle better and don't care about competition you could do that.

On my car the front camber maxed out at -0.7 deg...not much at all.

I don't have much to add to the tire pressure thing. I would start in the upper 30's and see how it rides.
BSTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
veener79
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 204304
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: IL
Vehicle:
2008 WRX 4D Stage 2
Silver

Default

Thanks BSTON. I was wondering the most I could do with stock parts. Will see what the alinment shop can do for me with the front with the stock parts.

I do want to stay competitive so that is why I am asking so many questions on what I can do stock.
veener79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #15
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdecker View Post
Not to derail your topic, but be careful with these tires.

I had a set installed (225/40/18) when my Pilot Sports wore out, mainly because they seemed to offer a lot of the performance of the PS at about half the price.

At the time, the local highly respected performance tire dealer told me I would not be happy with them. I didn't have much of a choice so I told them to put them on anyway.

Camber was set to -0.5. 8000 highway miles later, the inner 1/2" edge of BOTH fronts actually delaminated while I was on the highway doing 70.

Called the tire store, who gave me the Kumho customer service/warranty number. Called 6 times in a week - no response, no call back, nothing.

Went back to the tire dealer and they gladly replaced all four of them at no cost (yay for customer service!). In my conversation with them, they implied that they had a LOT of trouble with these tires, "they can't handle ANY camber", etc. They verified the previous alignment was still good before replacing and re-aligning. I was in the shop and saw the results so it wasn't word of mouth.

Perhaps it was a bad batch, I don't know. I don't want to speculate on their QA or tarnish the Kumho name. In fact, I run Victoracers for track days! I'm just letting you know to keep a sharp eye on the inner edges if you are running any camber at all.

PM me if you want the tire dealer info.

Back on topic -- when I had them, I ran 32 pounds F/R on the street.

you almost certainly had a toe issue that killed your tires

I ran -3 camber and never had any issues......I HAVE had issues with toe eating tires VERY quickly
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
sdecker
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14717
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Road Atlanta
Vehicle:
2002 WRX, WR Blue
Complete n00b Racing

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
you almost certainly had a toe issue that killed your tires

I ran -3 camber and never had any issues......I HAVE had issues with toe eating tires VERY quickly
I thought so too, which is why i looked at the alignment *before* any changes were made. No unusual toe was found.

I'm thinking bad batch of tires as they commented they had seen a lot of them come back.

Either way, OP -- just a heads up. Do with it what you will and good luck.
sdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB - Kumho Ecsta MX - 225/45/17 fish917 Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 4 05-01-2009 11:38 AM
5 kumho Ecsta MX 225-45-17 Jack NESIC Private Classifieds 3 12-25-2007 07:45 PM
Tires For sale in NNJ: Kumho Ecsta Supra 225/45/17...&!! DriftRS Tri-State Area Forum 3 05-29-2005 08:47 AM
FS: Kumho Ecsta MX 225/45/17 NEW 02 T-WREX Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 0 05-16-2005 11:28 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.