Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
North West Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #51
alpentalic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 146280
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Where's my gov'ment check?
Vehicle:
2004 39'WRX - SOLD
2005 Duramax Silverado

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsly View Post
i ended up not needing to pitch again. after i sloshed it around a little bit it was bubbling nicely by the time i got home. i have to check and see if my gravity is level and then i think it might be time to put it into bottles for aging apparently this is not uncommon though. i did some reading and a lot of people that had this issue didn't aerate the wort when they pitched the yeast, as i didn't and i'm guessing you didn't
I just did the pour in 1/3 of the wort pitch yeast and slosh like hell for 10 minutes method. Either way it is going strong now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerisking View Post
Quick question....does the foam stuff on top (forgot the technical term) drop after time?

That foamy head is called Krausen and that's exactly what it should look like based on my past couple experiences. After about a week that will die down, get patchy and around day 6-10 should be gone completely. Once it is gone, you then want to move it to secondary fermentation.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
alpentalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #52
srsly
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 93910
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: seattle
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
2009 Ninja 250r

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpentalic View Post
I just did the pour in 1/3 of the wort pitch yeast and slosh like hell for 10 minutes method. Either way it is going strong now.
i should have done that. note for next time.

only reason i'm saying we'll be bottling soon is because that's what the sheet Cellar Hombrew gave us says to do. i'm kind of nervous about bottling so early since last time we did this at Ghallagher's they kept it in a fermenter for 2 weeks. though if our gravity readings are stable for a few days in a row we shouldn't have any issue with exploding bottles. unless the priming sugar reactivates the yeast in a big way...
srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #53
alpentalic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 146280
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Where's my gov'ment check?
Vehicle:
2004 39'WRX - SOLD
2005 Duramax Silverado

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsly View Post
i should have done that. note for next time.

only reason i'm saying we'll be bottling soon is because that's what the sheet Cellar Hombrew gave us says to do. i'm kind of nervous about bottling so early since last time we did this at Ghallagher's they kept it in a fermenter for 2 weeks. though if our gravity readings are stable for a few days in a row we shouldn't have any issue with exploding bottles. unless the priming sugar reactivates the yeast in a big way...
I've looked at a lot of recipes on-line. Most say ferment for a week and then rack to secondary for a week or more. That being said, Im not a fan of porters, so I haven't looked at any porter recipes. Do you know what your target final gravity is supposed to be?
alpentalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #54
srsly
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 93910
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: seattle
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
2009 Ninja 250r

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpentalic View Post
I've looked at a lot of recipes on-line. Most say ferment for a week and then rack to secondary for a week or more. That being said, Im not a fan of porters, so I haven't looked at any porter recipes. Do you know what your target final gravity is supposed to be?
based on the OG it should be somewhere around 1.050
srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #55
alpentalic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 146280
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Where's my gov'ment check?
Vehicle:
2004 39'WRX - SOLD
2005 Duramax Silverado

Default

That's gotta be your original gravity. Your final should be some where closer to 1.010 to 1.015. I'd go check some porter recipes and see if you can find a FG and measure your beer against that prior to bottling. You are correct that if you bottle too early, or add too much priming sugar, your beer will over carbonate and explode.
alpentalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:12 AM   #56
alpentalic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 146280
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Where's my gov'ment check?
Vehicle:
2004 39'WRX - SOLD
2005 Duramax Silverado

Default

Ok, so I'm at day 5 and I am still getting air lock burps every 3-5 seconds. I know it took off a little late, but the other two beers I brewed were read for transfer by day 5 or 6. This one still has a thick (huge) layer of krausen. The last two I used the same type of safeale dry yeast.

So my question is, is this a product of using a different yeast, fermentables, or a combination of both? What is it that is making this beer ferment so differently than the last?
alpentalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #57
PSUbaru_guy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 181879
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Richland WA
Vehicle:
2008 STI
Aspen White

Default

alpentalic, if you are talking about your belgian wit, mine acted just like yours when I brewed it. It took longer to start fermenting and fermented for a few more days than usual. When it was done however, the krausen settled really quickly, like a day. Beer making is about patience. The beer will tell you when it's ready to be racked to secondary.

The different yeast and fermentables are different from other beers so different fermentation periods are expected. You should have used a wheat beer safale (or other brand) yeast for this beer, as opposed to the ale yeast (S-05 i think). When I went to Ice Harbor to pick up the supplies for this beer, that was the only dry yeast for the Wit I could find, they had liquid but I've never used it before and have had good results with dry yeasts. If you added orange peel into your boil, it had more sugars in it that the yeast will be breaking down.

The belgian wit that I brewed is sitting in bottles now and has been carbonating for about 2 weeks. It has a pretty strong coriander (spicy) taste to it and the sweetness of the orange peel comes through too, with a slice of orange in it, it's a really good beer, prob my second fav of my homebrews. Also has a nice haze, like a Wit should

Good luck with the beer!
PSUbaru_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #58
srsly
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 93910
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: seattle
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
2009 Ninja 250r

Default

you were right about my FG. it's been sitting nicely at exactly 1.020 for the last few days and the foam is dying off. i think our timeline just got skewed because it took a day or two to get fermentation started. but we're bottling today! figure we'll let it sit for another couple weeks in the bottle before drinking. last time i made a porter it was racked to a secondary after one week, then had one week in that, and then bottled. i drank it after a couple days and i thought we failed definitely letting this one bottle condition for a while longer.
srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #59
team23jordan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48132
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: 425
Vehicle:
2011 STi
SWP

Default

interesting thread!
when is the meet!!
team23jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #60
PSUbaru_guy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 181879
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Richland WA
Vehicle:
2008 STI
Aspen White

Default

I wish there was a meet planned haha! If we could organize something where everyone brings some of their homebrews that would be EPIC! It seems like we have people from all over the PNW on this so smaller local meets would be best I guess.
PSUbaru_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #61
alpentalic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 146280
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Where's my gov'ment check?
Vehicle:
2004 39'WRX - SOLD
2005 Duramax Silverado

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUbaru_guy View Post
alpentalic, if you are talking about your belgian wit, mine acted just like yours when I brewed it. It took longer to start fermenting and fermented for a few more days than usual. When it was done however, the krausen settled really quickly, like a day. Beer making is about patience. The beer will tell you when it's ready to be racked to secondary.

The different yeast and fermentables are different from other beers so different fermentation periods are expected. You should have used a wheat beer safale (or other brand) yeast for this beer, as opposed to the ale yeast (S-05 i think). When I went to Ice Harbor to pick up the supplies for this beer, that was the only dry yeast for the Wit I could find, they had liquid but I've never used it before and have had good results with dry yeasts. If you added orange peel into your boil, it had more sugars in it that the yeast will be breaking down.

The belgian wit that I brewed is sitting in bottles now and has been carbonating for about 2 weeks. It has a pretty strong coriander (spicy) taste to it and the sweetness of the orange peel comes through too, with a slice of orange in it, it's a really good beer, prob my second fav of my homebrews. Also has a nice haze, like a Wit should

Good luck with the beer!
I ended up using a begian wit liquid yeast from white labs. The thing is still going. As for the corriander, I ended up using about 3/4 of an ounce. Hopefully it's not overpowering. Today is actually the one week mark and it looks as if it is starting to settle. Hopefully I can transfer it before the weekend.

I was actually brewing this beer to be ready for my sons first birthday party a week from this Saturday. We have a bunch of friends and family coming into town and I wanted to have this beer on tap and ready to drink. I guess we'll see what happens.
alpentalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #62
PSUbaru_guy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 181879
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Richland WA
Vehicle:
2008 STI
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpentalic View Post
I ended up using a begian wit liquid yeast from white labs. The thing is still going. As for the corriander, I ended up using about 3/4 of an ounce. Hopefully it's not overpowering. Today is actually the one week mark and it looks as if it is starting to settle. Hopefully I can transfer it before the weekend.

I was actually brewing this beer to be ready for my sons first birthday party a week from this Saturday. We have a bunch of friends and family coming into town and I wanted to have this beer on tap and ready to drink. I guess we'll see what happens.
Yeah, I used a little more coriander than that, I think I put 3/4 oz into the beer at the end of the boil with a 1/2 oz of orange peel. When I racked to secondary, I put a 1/2 oz of orange peel and 1/2 oz of coriander in and let it sit like that for about a week.

You shouldn't have any problems with having the beer be ready by next saturday, esp if you keg it. Just turn it up to 30 psi and let it sit for a few days like that, then drop it down to like 3-6 psi and cool it and it should be good. This worked for me when I needed a beer ready really fast.
PSUbaru_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #63
Homerisking
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 79164
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: SCIC dropout
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
tHe Silver one

Default

Racking time bishes

here it is.....in all it's glory. Black Dog Pale Ale 14 days in the fermenter...nice even fermenting temps ranging from 69-71 degrees. Krausen dropped by day 13.


I've found serious concentration results in favorable brew


Dropping loads with the auto siphon...


And there you have it.....another week in the secondary then bottling time. Very cloudy and the camera didn't do a very good job of picking up the red hue of the liquid. Took a little taste....not bad. Tastes like beer. So I'm happy.


and of course this is all bigE approved..
Homerisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:18 AM   #64
srsly
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 93910
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: seattle
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
2009 Ninja 250r

Default

we racked ours to bottles yesterday. we have some questions about the sanitation throughout the process but we're hoping for the best. i got a little taste when i was starting the siphon and i gotta say it did not taste good it tasted like beer, but not good beer. but i guess last time we did this it was two weeks in fermentors and another 2-3 weeks in bottles. i think i'm going to leave it for 4-6 weeks in the bottles and see what happens.
srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:29 AM   #65
Homerisking
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 79164
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: SCIC dropout
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
tHe Silver one

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsly View Post
we racked ours to bottles yesterday. we have some questions about the sanitation throughout the process but we're hoping for the best. i got a little taste when i was starting the siphon and i gotta say it did not taste good it tasted like beer, but not good beer. but i guess last time we did this it was two weeks in fermentors and another 2-3 weeks in bottles. i think i'm going to leave it for 4-6 weeks in the bottles and see what happens.
Yeah I'm absolutely mental about sanitation. I've been using the iodine stuff Iodophor like it was going out of style. I'm also using hand sanatizer everytime I needed to touch stuff...too much? Probably. But what the hell..can't be to safe. I've heard after you bottle it and leave it to condition for a while the clarity and the taste will change somewhat...keep your head up. It could turn out to be some tasty beer

p.s...how did you carbonate when bottling? Tabs, sugar etc...
Homerisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #66
Homerisking
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 79164
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: SCIC dropout
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
tHe Silver one

Default

Brewing my second batch as we speak...Mud Bay Pale Ale. This kit comes with Irish Moss which is interesting...guess it's suppose to help coagulate the proteins and add clarity to the brew..or something like that. Just picked up a high gravity IPA for my third
Homerisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #67
66chevyIISS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 33913
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Default

I will be brewing a Rye IPA next weekend with a SG of 1.090 and 92 IBU's. I brewed this with a buddy few months ago doing all grain and it turned out awesome. I am now trying it with a partial mash and extract so it will be interesting to see the difference.
66chevyIISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #68
alpentalic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 146280
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Where's my gov'ment check?
Vehicle:
2004 39'WRX - SOLD
2005 Duramax Silverado

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66chevyIISS View Post
I will be brewing a Rye IPA next weekend with a SG of 1.090 and 92 IBU's. I brewed this with a buddy few months ago doing all grain and it turned out awesome. I am now trying it with a partial mash and extract so it will be interesting to see the difference.
SG of 1.090, that's gonna pack one hell of a punch. I bet it delivers one hell of a hangover if you get after it.
alpentalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #69
66chevyIISS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 33913
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Default

The balance on it is actually pretty amazing. The all grain came out at 9.5%. Since I'm trying it with extract I might be closer to 10% this time.

7 pounds LME
3 pounds Rye Malt
Then some Cara-pils, pale malt, munich malt, wheat malt and Crystal malt for 15 lbs total.
66chevyIISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #70
srsly
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 93910
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: seattle
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
2009 Ninja 250r

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerisking View Post
Yeah I'm absolutely mental about sanitation. I've been using the iodine stuff Iodophor like it was going out of style. I'm also using hand sanatizer everytime I needed to touch stuff...too much? Probably. But what the hell..can't be to safe. I've heard after you bottle it and leave it to condition for a while the clarity and the taste will change somewhat...keep your head up. It could turn out to be some tasty beer

p.s...how did you carbonate when bottling? Tabs, sugar etc...
I'm not too concerned because the last porter we made tasted like crap after fermentng two weeks. We use that same sanitizer and we went pretty nuts too. I'm just worried that I forgot to fill the airlock and some foreign yeast got in. I'm gong to leave it in the bottles for three weeks or so and then see.

We used priming sugar from the brew shop. Mixed about half a cup into the carboy right before we bottled.
srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #71
Homerisking
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 79164
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: SCIC dropout
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
tHe Silver one

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsly View Post
I'm not too concerned because the last porter we made tasted like crap after fermentng two weeks. We use that same sanitizer and we went pretty nuts too. I'm just worried that I forgot to fill the airlock and some foreign yeast got in. I'm gong to leave it in the bottles for three weeks or so and then see.

We used priming sugar from the brew shop. Mixed about half a cup into the carboy right before we bottled.

When you say it tasted like crap was there a distinct off taste like sourness, yeasty etc? I'm curious to see how my first batch turns out. I'm bottling next weekend.

So quick question for everyone. I just made my second batch on Saturday and I was amazed how much sediment there was at the bottom of my fermenter before I pitched the yeast. Seven hours later the air lock started bubling away and by hour 10 Krausen started to form. Now much of the sediment on the bottom is swirling around like a tornado in the carboy. It's crazy looking but is this normal? My first batch did nothing like this..is there a danger to having too much activity during the fermenting period? Things on this batch are happening much more rapidly than the first.
Homerisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:34 AM   #72
srsly
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 93910
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: seattle
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
2009 Ninja 250r

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerisking View Post
When you say it tasted like crap was there a distinct off taste like sourness, yeasty etc? I'm curious to see how my first batch turns out. I'm bottling next weekend.
i didn't get a good taste because i was just trying to start the siphon to get it from our fermenter to the the bottling container (to avoid sediment in the bottles). if i had to pick something i'd say sour. i believe my description was "this tastes like warm assy miller." i guess we'll see. like i said. i think we're on the right track though because it tasted like assy porter until 3 weeks after bottling
srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #73
PSUbaru_guy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 181879
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Richland WA
Vehicle:
2008 STI
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerisking View Post
So quick question for everyone. I just made my second batch on Saturday and I was amazed how much sediment there was at the bottom of my fermenter before I pitched the yeast. Seven hours later the air lock started bubling away and by hour 10 Krausen started to form. Now much of the sediment on the bottom is swirling around like a tornado in the carboy. It's crazy looking but is this normal? My first batch did nothing like this..is there a danger to having too much activity during the fermenting period? Things on this batch are happening much more rapidly than the first.
The swirling around you see is the yeast. It gets very active and some strands maybe more than others. It creates currents in the carboy when it's alive. I think you may have mispoke b/c you said there was sediment in the bottom before you pitched the yeast? The sediment that forms at the bottom during fermenting is the yeast. As long as you cleaned out that carboy real good, you should be fine. Let us know how it turns out then
PSUbaru_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #74
PSUbaru_guy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 181879
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Richland WA
Vehicle:
2008 STI
Aspen White

Default

So over in the Homebrewing thread in OT, we were having a discussion yesterday about fermenting in the primary for 3-4 weeks which was real cool to learn about. Turns out that keeping it in the primary for that long will allow the yeast to "clean up" the beer a little bit. It was a cool discussion and pretty informative so if any of you homebrewers haven't been to that thread yet, there's a lot of info there about all kinds of things and even some recipes too. How are everyones brews doing?
PSUbaru_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #75
Homerisking
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 79164
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: SCIC dropout
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
tHe Silver one

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUbaru_guy View Post
The swirling around you see is the yeast. It gets very active and some strands maybe more than others. It creates currents in the carboy when it's alive. I think you may have mispoke b/c you said there was sediment in the bottom before you pitched the yeast? The sediment that forms at the bottom during fermenting is the yeast. As long as you cleaned out that carboy real good, you should be fine. Let us know how it turns out then
Hey PSU, actually the sediment I'm referring to is the wonderful hops and grain sediments...I do awful job of straining from the wort into the primary. But in the end it all calmed down and turned into the nice white trub Just bottled the black dog. It was in the primary for two weeks and in the secondary for a week. The second batch with the crazy fermenting I had in the primary for a week and racked today. The fermentation happened so quick it was crazy. Just brewed a Imperial IPA today with a starting OG 1.070 and FG: 1.010....first big brew...tons of liquid malt and DME

The fermenting for 3-4 weeks in the primary is something a lot of people talk about....I'm letting my freshly created batch sit in their for 3 weeks. I've heard anything more than 3 can create some off flavors....homeboys over in OT are way over my head. Fun to read though.
Homerisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home brew BBQ meet in Everett, cooking 7/18, BBQ on 8/1 Cyclops North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC 6 06-28-2009 02:17 PM
FS: Home Brewing Kit/Supplies Rice & Gravy Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 14 12-05-2005 11:24 PM
Home Brewing RATyson Off-Topic 55 06-29-2004 08:37 PM
home brew turbo? fomogo Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain 8 06-15-2002 08:26 PM
Home Brew ABS Mod SyntaxPC Newbies & FAQs 1 04-19-2002 03:23 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.