Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday May 30, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
williaty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 71092
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Default Knocked Cam Plug In To Far. Any Way to Save?

I'm not sure how similar my EJ253's heads are to y'all's fancy-pants DOHC turbo heads, so I'm going to give you guys too much info at the risk of telling you things you already know.

The EJ253 heads stack up like this (top of the list is facing the outside world, bottom of the list is against the headgasket):

Valve rocker cover
In/Ex Valve Rocker Assemblies
Cam Cap (sort of a metal frame that holds the cam against the head)
Camshaft
Head body

The ends of the camshaft protrude out the front and the back of the complete head. On the front, there's a ring-shaped Cam Seal. On the back, there's a disc-shaped Cam Plug that just covers the entire hole the cam pokes out of. According to the factory manual, the Cam Plug and Cam Seal are to be inserted after the Cam Cap and Rocker Assemblies have been torqued into place.

Well, it all went perfectly until I tried to put the Cam Plug into place. I gave it a little too much of a hit with the hammer and drove it in until the center of the Plug hit the cam itself. This means that if I were to start the motor, the cam would be grinding a hole into the Cam Plug.

I need to pull the Cam Plug out about 1/8-3/16 of an inch. There's no way to push on it from the inside. Can any of you think of a way to pull the Cam Plug out without having to totally remove and reinstall the Rocker Assemblies, Cam Cap, and camshaft a second time?

Thanks.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Turn in Concepts
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 93646
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
Many Track Records
Let us help you go fast!

Dig it out and replace it with a new one. If you were to get it out without killing it you would likely see that it would be deformed. This will lead to a leak. Trust me. Just replace it. They are like $5.

Tony
Turn in Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote