Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday May 3, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
amyasin
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 206668
Default Issues with a 2000 Impreza 2.5RS

I purchased a 2000 2.5 RS with the following issues
The owner rebuilt the motor, and then after sometime the engine skipped timing and assumed it needed a motor. That was how the car was advertised
The car idled rough
Then hesitates under load and then “pulls hard”
But when I purchased it the car ran and drove but with the symptoms above
I figured since I purchased it assuming it will need a motor I take it to a rally cross and after beating the crap out of it; the motor did not blow
So my friends and I figured there was a simple issue with the car
After the rally cross practice I dropped the car off to have it checked by a local Subaru speed shop ( I will not mention the shops name unless I have a legitimate case, and do not want any bias opinions)
I drop the car off at the shop and asked for the following to be looked over
Check the timing on the car
Look over the engine and attempt to diagnose the issues it is having
If it needs a engine no biggie if not let me know what it is so that I can get the car running
The shop had the car for two days and sent me a quote to fix issues with the car but nothing in the quote addressed what I had requested ( In hind sight I should have picked up the car and moved on)
After they look at it again they tell me that the tensioner is what is causing the mistiming and I would need to replace the timing belt as well as the tensioner. So I figured for 550.00 it was reasonable for them to do the car.

So then I get a call after the timing belt, and they tell me that they did all the work and the motor was not fixed. After some further diagnosis they compression tested the motor and it had low compression in cylinder 1. That the motor would need to be rebuilt.

I had asked them the following questions
Why was the motor no compression tested before doing the timing belt job
o They responded that they could not compression test until the timing belt was replaced
There Subaru tech stated that a compression test is a last step in a diagnosis
They then replied that, the situation was not a straight forward situation and that they could nt properly diagnosis the car until the timing belt was replaced.
They didn’t recommend driving the car home. I did trailer it home but after taking it off the trailer I drove it around for 10 miles to see if it would get worse then the motor blew.
So I ask the board the following questions
Did they diagnose the engine properly ? If not I intend to do the following
o Get statements from other Subaru tech as well as shops
o Get an attorney
o Get my money back
I know that I should not have driven the car but it didn’t make sense that I could rallycross the crap out of the car. Take it to a shop then it blow in a 15 minutes drive
The only part I am going to pursue is the fact that the engine was not diagnosed properly and feel that I should have been cautioned that the timing belt change may not fix the issue
I know its not the end of the world I did get the car for a good deal. However If I was taken advantage of I want to take the proper avenues to get my money back.

Sorry for the long thread, just wanted to be upfront and clear as possible. Any constructive feedback or advice will be greatly apperciated
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by amyasin; 04-05-2009 at 11:40 AM.
amyasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
GrundleJuice
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 165749
Chapter/Region: South East

low compression in one cylinder doesnt cause engine failure by itself... if the reason for the low compression was broken internals, then i could see it as being a symptom of the cause of the engine failure.

When they said cyl 1 has low compression what did they determine was the faulty component... rings or valves/guides? either way, they are repairable without a engine rebuild. With an engine rebuild having been done recently, that would have been the logical next step.
GrundleJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
amyasin
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFaceXC View Post
low compression in one cylinder doesnt cause engine failure by itself... if the reason for the low compression was broken internals, then i could see it as being a symptom of the cause of the engine failure.

When they said cyl 1 has low compression what did they determine was the faulty component... rings or valves/guides? either way, they are repairable without a engine rebuild. With an engine rebuild having been done recently, that would have been the logical next step.
you are correct i choose the wrong words. they said that the valves needed to be replaced and they then said it would tak a 1000 to fix. Since i didnt trust them I picked up the car as is and I figured since I didnt know the history behind the motor I would only throw more money at it then I should. Do you think it is being diagnosed properly?

I did see a guy selling a set of heads and it may be worth while to buy them and slap them on

thanks for your input
Old 04-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Member#: 60082
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Rought behavior could point to O2 sensor, MAF/MAP sensor is going out. Those are common issues on an older car. Those would be first two checks. These do not necessary cause check engine lights. My MAP went out and took 2 weeks to finally cause a engine light. My O2 never did.

Low compression of course means rebuild anyways, so you might as well get that done first and then start diagnosing stuff.

You might look into a full rebuild and some upgrades while you're at it. You can upgrade the bottom end, rods, pistons, yada yada if you have an inkling of doing forced induction in the future. P&P heads, oversized valves, cams, etc.

I agree the compression test was useless if the timing was off. It could be done but wouldn't mean anything. I'm not sure why the belt was replaced unless it was just old and cracked. Other things probably should have gotten replaced too like the water pump.
Back Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
amyasin
Scooby Newbie

thanks guys I will drop it just wanted to be sure and that is why I didnt mention the shop no need for drama...there is a guy selling a set of heads...or i might wait and find a motor