Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
SILINC3R
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 198052
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy SS
Rio Red

Default 95 impreza swap to STi

so I know it has been done but what is the price of doing it yourself versus a shop. it would be awesome doing it myself and cheaper i assume and more badass to say that i did it. but at what price for the stress and the time. im going into the Coast Guard and will have access to garages and tools, i have some knowledge but most of it is simple stuff.

car would be a 2 door coupe basic L M/T, hopefully not sunroof and roll up windows. swaping in STi motor with drive train, disk all around. hoping to keep dash or maybe go STi which ever is better not sure yet. body kit or 2.5RS body. FMIC FTW just looking for 300+ HP in a car that would be light as a feather.

so as long as you get the same dash as the motor and trans it is fairly easy since the is no splicing?

what prices for a motor and trans.
car looking at $2000 easy
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SILINC3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
davedaman77
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 177385
Vehicle:
08 2.5i
SSM

If you go JDM STI you can get an older version I-IV for ~$2000 with a transmission and maybe if your lucky the rear diff. But, you'll have to source the knuckles all the way around, driveshaft, halfshafts, and if you want the huge 4 pot calipers they're going to be expensive.

Any newer version than I-IV will be rediculous. Like I've seen them go for <$6000.

Unless you just have to have it, I would go with like a version IV or V JDM WRX, because they're rated at the same PS (which is Japan's rating system like our HP. 1PS = ~1HP) as the STI, because of restriction laws. So, they both came with 280PS, so alittle under 300HP. That's just my opinion, plus it has less wires making your wiring job easier, because the newer motors have AVCS and stuff.

It's all up to you though. STI would be bad ass. If only just for the novelty of it.
Oh, and that's assuming you did it all yourself. I did all mine.

Last edited by davedaman77; 04-07-2009 at 12:56 PM.
davedaman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
SILINC3R
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1991 Legacy SS
Rio Red

so you did a USDM and what was the price. the only reason why i decided not to do JDM is i thought i read somewhere that it is harder to find parts or to tune it or something like that. i can live with high price if i do it myself. im hoping if i do it myself i can do it for 10k. i would rather have the STi USDM. you think you could disclose all the parts like did you swich out the brakes for WRX and whatever else. im guessing your car is a beast since they are so light which is the main reason why i want to do this

Thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
davedaman77
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
08 2.5i
SSM

I did it if a GF, because I love my wagon. So, a bit heavier, but NO ONE suspects it when I roll up. Brakes wise, I switched over to all the same parts that went with the car. Like, I bought a 1997 JDM WRX RA motor and switched everything over, it came with the entire wiring harness, trans, front and rear half shafts, rear cross member, rear diff, and all 4 knuckles, so I had everything I needed right there. It cost ~$2000 for everything. Oh, and I also got a full 3" exhaust and TEIN coilovers. JHOT hooked me up. Haha. So, if you do it yourself than you can save TONS. The only part that scared me was the wiring, but it wasn't that difficult when I started cutting and splicing.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
MasterKwan
Scooby Guru

Member#: 98961
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Black

Cost me 8K and 2 months of effort. Bought a wrecked STI parked it next to my WRX and started swapping. I swapped everything but, the interior (which didn't come with the car).
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
SILINC3R
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1991 Legacy SS
Rio Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
Cost me 8K and 2 months of effort. Bought a wrecked STI parked it next to my WRX and started swapping. I swapped everything but, the interior (which didn't come with the car).
so i guess it cost you so much since you bought the whole car
Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
SILINC3R
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1991 Legacy SS
Rio Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedaman77 View Post
I did it if a GF, because I love my wagon. So, a bit heavier, but NO ONE suspects it when I roll up. Brakes wise, I switched over to all the same parts that went with the car. Like, I bought a 1997 JDM WRX RA motor and switched everything over, it came with the entire wiring harness, trans, front and rear half shafts, rear cross member, rear diff, and all 4 knuckles, so I had everything I needed right there. It cost ~$2000 for everything. Oh, and I also got a full 3" exhaust and TEIN coilovers. JHOT hooked me up. Haha. So, if you do it yourself than you can save TONS. The only part that scared me was the wiring, but it wasn't that difficult when I started cutting and splicing.
WOW that is a great price if i could get a car for 2000 and spend 2000 for the motor, tranny, knuckles and what ever else that would be one hell of a budget build. they still have all this stuff. so you havent had any problems using the JDM. also did you use the same dash or did you convert
Old 04-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
subie_chick
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 198910

hey, im doing somewhat the samething, but im going to be buying an AWD 95 4 door impreza. i want to do the wrx swap but im not sure if it'll be easier and mostly cheaper to get a front clip or to order everything seperately...
subie_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
davedaman77
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
08 2.5i
SSM

Front clip is a bit more expensive, but you wont have to try to find as many parts. So, it's a bit simpilar for the extra money.

And no, I didn't bother trying to swap any interior. That's just too much fab work.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Rei_Akira
Scooby Scammer- Do Not Buy From User

Member#: 194555
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1997 GC8 coup
green

if you buy a jdm front clip you dont use the dash, unless you swap to RHD. i bought a V4 STi front clip to do my swap (EJ20K). it takes a bit of wiring if you want to use the JDM cluster and have everything work, same with the engine. if you're not afraid of wiring not to complicated to do, just time consuming.
just so you know, my front clip came with the following:
front cut, dash, front STi seats, rear STi seats, gold 5spoke rims w/tires, rear trunk/spoiler (but its a toyota spoiler??), gas tank w/fuel pump, rear hubs/suspension (sway bars and everything), rear diff with LSD, front hubs/suspension, 4pot sti front calipers, front V4 bumper, fenders, aluminum hood, head/corner lights and fog lights.
was missing the v.4 bov and rear calipers.

bought it for aprox 5k with shipping and import duty.
Rei_Akira is offline   Reply With Quote