Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports > Autocross

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #101
pinkertonpunk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62386
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Pewaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2008 Honda S2000
Chicane Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd View Post
Thanks for the insight Colin. I was on the edge of my seat reading that!

Only one critique from the peanut gallery -- use paragraphs as it makes the text easier on the eyes!
I did. There is two!

FWIW, I had to type that all twice as the computer I was on decided to delete it all when I hit the spell check.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
pinkertonpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:40 AM   #102
piknockout
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 192173
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2006 STU prepped STi
Sponsored by Agile Auto

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkertonpunk View Post
I really would also like to point out the awesome corner working on Sunday (insert sarcasm here). Going into day 2 I had about a 3 tenths lead over Aytinc. I wanted to go out on my first run and put down a good solid clean run as a base to work off of. I came back from my run with a 55.8XX and they announced plus 1 cone. I was mad because I hadn't heard a cone or known that I had hit anything. I went back to grid and my wife said it was in the back someplace but you couldn't really see for sure. She told me Aytinc came back with a 55.0XX clean. I was worried since I had hit a cone so I had to clean it up and go a lot faster.

I decided to go check the master incident sheet before my second run to see which cone I had hit. It had me hitting a cone in corner 2 and also had a DNF on my run in the same corner. I was 99% sure that I didn't DNF my run as it was a very controlled run. I had walked the course 4 times and made sure I could run the course in my head without missing anything and had no problem doing so. I went looking for someone to talk to and found Sandy in the timing trailer and told her about it. She said she would check on it right away. I was leaving the timing trailer and Aytinc was right outside. I guess my wife was talking to him after I checked the sheets and he was saying he missed the second offset gate coming back on the course. He told Sandy he thought it was his DNF and not mine. She told us she would check right away. We went back to grid and shortly after someone came up to me and said that corner 2 was SURE it was 91 STU that DNFed which was me. I complained to him and almost wanted to ask him what kind of car DNFed and not just the number since a Grey STI and a white Evo are a bit different. He told me he could give me another run after my third run because of it. I told him no since I didn't want to be unfair about it, I just wanted to make it right. I had video that we could review later if needed.

So as it stood, I had no first run and Aytinc had a raw time 8 tenths faster than mine. Needless to say I had work to do and was not in the right frame of mind at this point to get it done. I went out on my second run and was driving conservatively to make sure I didn't hit anything and once I got to the section of the course that was corner 2 I kept thinking where I could have DNFed instead of thinking about the task at hand. I just wanted to make sure if I did DNF I wasn't going to do it 3 times making the same mistake. I came back with a 55.7XX clean, no DNF this time. I wasn't happy with the time at all but at least it was clean. Aytinc however came in with a 54.7XX clean. I was a second behind on day 2 putting me about 7 tenths back in the class.

Aytinc was running right before me, so I pulled up to the line and watched him launch. I pulled up to the line ready to go and the starter held me there. I proceeded to watch Aytinc run his run and Raleigh announced that he had a better time, but it was only a few hundredths faster. My heart stopped for a second there. The starter kept holding me at this point and I had no idea why. All the cars ahead of me had good times, no one hit anything so it wasn't like the course needed to be fixed. The starter of course is saying nothing to me so after 3 minutes I got his attention to ask what was going on he tells me that there are some reruns because of a cone that had been down on course. Now this wasn't the last few cars that had run, it was many cars ago so I had no idea why they decided to hold me at the line but it was very annoying. I ended up sitting at the line for 4-5 minutes (I will post video from day two eventually) before he finally tells me I can go.

I start the run and on the offsets going out I was pushing too hard and was a few feet off some of the cones and not on the line I wanted to be on at all. At this point I thought I was done for but I just put my head down and nailed the rest of the course. I did some sections way better than I had up until this run. I came across the finish and couldn't see the timer since they had them where the driver's really couldn't see them and after what seemed like forever heard Raleigh announce me as the new leader in STU with a time of 54.8XX, just a few tenths faster than I needed to run. I was shaking a lot more after this run than I have in a long time and was very relieved. Really wish that Sunday could have happened differently but the outcome was obviously great. Having checked the video out this morning after getting home I did not DNF my first run confirming what I had thought.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share the story that the results sheet wouldn't show.
Fixed.
piknockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:47 AM   #103
pinkertonpunk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62386
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Pewaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2008 Honda S2000
Chicane Silver

Default

Thanks! I edited my post as well.
pinkertonpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:49 AM   #104
piknockout
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 192173
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2006 STU prepped STi
Sponsored by Agile Auto

Default

Glad I could help.

Sucks to hear about how things went down. I know I have a hard enough time getting it right without all the extra crap to deal with. Shows how the good ones can block it all out and lay down a good solid run when needed. Nice work!
piknockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #105
inmledoml23
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 169483
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Naples, FL
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd View Post
+1 on the Ruggles and Martin comments. Colin definitely rocked the house!

I talked to Disimo for about 10 minutes last night. He said the EP car had an alignment & set-up issue on Day 1 and their older front slicks corded after 1st runs. As a back-up, they had brought a new set of slicks and ran them on Day 2.
I assumed that something was wrong with DiSimo's (Sharf's) car. We know he can drive, but he seems to be a great match with that civic. I doubt he will be in Ft Myers this weekend.
inmledoml23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:24 AM   #106
mccanixx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60566
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego, Ca.
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Unicorn
2001 Legacy L 2005 XT 5sp

Default

Well done Colin.

Also props to Chris C. ....seems he's been working hard for the win in stx.
mccanixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #107
Mere
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 97899
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: hot-lanta
Vehicle:
'01 S2000, '97 328i
'89 Civic SI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkertonpunk View Post
I really would also like to point out the awesome corner working on Sunday (insert sarcasm here). Going into day 2 I had about a 3 tenths lead over Aytinc. I wanted to go out on my first run and put down a good solid clean run as a base to work off of. I came back from my run with a 55.8XX and they announced plus 1 cone. I was mad because I hadn't heard a cone or known that I had hit anything. I went back to grid and my wife said it was in the back someplace but you couldn't really see for sure. She told me Aytinc came back with a 55.0XX clean. I was worried since I had hit a cone so I had to clean it up and go a lot faster.

I decided to go check the master incident sheet before my second run to see which cone I had hit. It had me hitting a cone in corner 2 and also had a DNF on my run in the same corner. I was 99% sure that I didn't DNF my run as it was a very controlled run. I had walked the course 4 times and made sure I could run the course in my head without missing anything and had no problem doing so. I went looking for someone to talk to and found Sandy in the timing trailer and told her about it. She said she would check on it right away. I was leaving the timing trailer and Aytinc was right outside. I guess my wife was talking to him after I checked the sheets and he was saying he missed the second offset gate coming back on the course. He told Sandy he thought it was his DNF and not mine. She told us she would check right away. We went back to grid and shortly after someone came up to me and said that corner 2 was SURE it was 91 STU that DNFed which was me. I complained to him and almost wanted to ask him what kind of car DNFed and not just the number since a Grey STI and a white Evo are a bit different. He told me he could give me another run after my third run because of it. I told him no since I didn't want to be unfair about it, I just wanted to make it right. I had video that we could review later if needed.
FYI You can only "offically" protest inconsistencies in the corner sheets and master run logs while you are running or in impound. If you had needed to review your tape afterwards it would have been past the time needed to protest the results. Usually if you are granted an additional run it will be listed as a provisional run and will not be offical until a Chief Steward approves it. I glad everything worked out for you and congrats on the win!
Mere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #108
pinkertonpunk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62386
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Pewaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2008 Honda S2000
Chicane Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere View Post
FYI You can only "offically" protest inconsistencies in the corner sheets and master run logs while you are running or in impound. If you had needed to review your tape afterwards it would have been past the time needed to protest the results. Usually if you are granted an additional run it will be listed as a provisional run and will not be offical until a Chief Steward approves it. I glad everything worked out for you and congrats on the win!
That is good to know for the future. Like I said before, I didn't really want the provisional run since I wanted to be fair about everything. I am not sure why the person I was talking to didn't tell me that we couldn't review the tape later though. In the end it was all ok, just more stressful than I would have liked.
pinkertonpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #109
CamaroFS34
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6850
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: SoBWI, MD
Vehicle:
Lots of ESP cars
'06 IAG WRX & LT1 Z28s :)

Default

Nice read, Colin. Congrats on the end result though!

It's always disappointing to hear about epic failure on the part of corner workers. I don't know why some of the people who are assigned to work the course are such slugs about doing their jobs. I think it comes back to the local regions, and how lax the rules are there with enforcing good corner working (ie., running out to check cones that are touched, not just if it's knocked over).

Course working is one of the most important jobs, and yet, most people seem to think it's beneath them to have to shag cones and treat it as social time.

Karen
CamaroFS34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #110
Mere
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 97899
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: hot-lanta
Vehicle:
'01 S2000, '97 328i
'89 Civic SI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkertonpunk View Post
That is good to know for the future. Like I said before, I didn't really want the provisional run since I wanted to be fair about everything. I am not sure why the person I was talking to didn't tell me that we couldn't review the tape later though. In the end it was all ok, just more stressful than I would have liked.
It was most likely my hubby (the morning op steward ie the guy in the banana yellow vest); it was his first time as an event offical so he was still being "trained". When Impound says "any issues with the results" that's sort of the speak now or forever hold your peace time .

I do think the issue with the morning course working was with the large course and one part of the course had two cars on it at the same time. I hit a cone on my third run (during the same heat as Kolin) and the two cars behind me were red flagged! I had to ask Robert Carpenter who was watching my run if I had mowed down a wall or something and I had only hit one offset cone. I do know the release time was pushed back for the second heat to make sure everyone had enough time to reset cones. Infact Heyward paged me while announcing because he wondered by I had set the release time so slow.
Mere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #111
pinkertonpunk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62386
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Pewaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2008 Honda S2000
Chicane Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere View Post
It was most likely my hubby (the morning op steward ie the guy in the banana yellow vest); it was his first time as an event offical so he was still being "trained". When Impound says "any issues with the results" that's sort of the speak now or forever hold your peace time .

I do think the issue with the morning course working was with the large course and one part of the course had two cars on it at the same time. I hit a cone on my third run (during the same heat as Kolin) and the two cars behind me were red flagged! I had to ask Robert Carpenter who was watching my run if I had mowed down a wall or something and I had only hit one offset cone. I do know the release time was pushed back for the second heat to make sure everyone had enough time to reset cones. Infact Heyward paged me while announcing because he wondered by I had set the release time so slow.
Yeah, we were really having problems keeping up at the corner 1 station on day 1 with how fast the cars were coming.

It wasn't Brian I was talking to, I know what he looks like. I didn't know whoever I was talking to.
pinkertonpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #112
Mere
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 97899
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: hot-lanta
Vehicle:
'01 S2000, '97 328i
'89 Civic SI

Default

Must have been Jeff Jacobs the Chief Steward.... he's a super nice guy.
Mere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #113
pinkertonpunk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62386
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Pewaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2008 Honda S2000
Chicane Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere View Post
Must have been Jeff Jacobs the Chief Steward.... he's a super nice guy.
Very well could have been. He was a really nice guy, I was probably just being an ass!
pinkertonpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #114
PKer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 27647
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: 69 Datsun SPL311
Vehicle:
06 MX-5-STR 03WRX
(ret), 08 Titan-Tow

Default

Yeah...Provisional reruns are your friend; both as a driver and as an event chief. They give a chance for cooler heads to prevail.
Good corner working is paramount to this sport, I can't stand poor corner working. I think Karen is right in that sometimes local regions get lax and it carries over to the national events.

Autocross: SERIOUS BUSINESS
PKer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #115
pinkertonpunk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62386
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Pewaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2008 Honda S2000
Chicane Silver

Default

I actually think that local corner working is better. I think that most of us going to larger events probably do a different work assignment at home and aren't used to corner working. That is not to say we are all bad at it, but I think the worst corner working I see every year is at Nationals. Although after this Tour that will be tough to beat.
pinkertonpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #116
BSTON
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 178954
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
2008 Forester Sports X

Default

There were some others that weren't too pleased with the corner workers...

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/363711.aspx
BSTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #117
Chiketkd
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71634
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: C-Ville, VA
Vehicle:
In hibernation...

Default Blytheville Pro solo...

Chiketkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #118
BlkWRXWag
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31821
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Vorshlag Motorsports/Chase Cam
Vehicle:
2006 STR MX5
WRB BRZ Limited

Default

I predict Annie Bauer will win the Ladies Challenge. Someone send me $50 if I'm right!
BlkWRXWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #119
BlkWRXWag
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31821
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Vorshlag Motorsports/Chase Cam
Vehicle:
2006 STR MX5
WRB BRZ Limited

Default

Now, if she was also to beat all the mens FSP times as well, then someone would have to send me $100!
BlkWRXWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #120
Chiketkd
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71634
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: C-Ville, VA
Vehicle:
In hibernation...

Default

Final results: http://www.scca.com/documents/result...le%20Final.pdf

Annie destroyed the competition in L2! Congrats to Martin on a solid 2nd place in STU. Gebbia was 2nd in AS behind Cashmore.
Chiketkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #121
Banannie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 101199
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ
Black

Default

Me likey the FSP car...

The FSP car likey me...

It's all good!

Now I need to figure out what to do with all these Hoosiers!
Banannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #122
mccanixx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60566
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego, Ca.
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Unicorn
2001 Legacy L 2005 XT 5sp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banannie View Post

Now I need to figure out what to do with all these Hoosiers!
Sell them to me at a discounted rate.........


Kidding. Congrats on the winning terror you seem to be on.
mccanixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #123
gbwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39768
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Knoxville TN.
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STi
Steel Gray Metallic

Default

Just getting around to posting on here after being in AR for the past 2 weekends. Congrats to Jay for the win in AS at the Tour. Great driving. Wish I could have done some better driving there.

The Pro was a bunch of fun. I wasn't really looking forward to it after my placing in the Tour and after running the Tour course. But, the course for the Pro was much much better (or at least it was to me). I am not much of a drag racer and need to work on my lights. Those darn things cost me a lot of time. I could have possibly gotten down to 1st in AS if I would have gotten some better times on the lights. But, maybe next time.

The challenge for the Pro was a great surprise to me. I kept looking at some of the people I was against and thought I would be changing tires soon....but I kept going. Ended up getting 3rd in the challenge and it surprised the heck out of me.
gbwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #124
autoXsp33d7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 201282
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: north little rock AR
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru WRX
SWP (matte white for now)

Default

the Pro was a blast annie nice on the win and all the tires. i did have a great time trying to figure out the new wrx. it was cool to come in second in the chase cam challenge so i did leave with something which is cool.
autoXsp33d7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #125
Chiketkd
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71634
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: C-Ville, VA
Vehicle:
In hibernation...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbwrx View Post
Just getting around to posting on here after being in AR for the past 2 weekends. Congrats to Jay for the win in AS at the Tour. Great driving. Wish I could have done some better driving there.

The Pro was a bunch of fun. I wasn't really looking forward to it after my placing in the Tour and after running the Tour course. But, the course for the Pro was much much better (or at least it was to me). I am not much of a drag racer and need to work on my lights. Those darn things cost me a lot of time. I could have possibly gotten down to 1st in AS if I would have gotten some better times on the lights. But, maybe next time.

The challenge for the Pro was a great surprise to me. I kept looking at some of the people I was against and thought I would be changing tires soon....but I kept going. Ended up getting 3rd in the challenge and it surprised the heck out of me.
Great job at the Pro Shawn. I actually thought you'd get Cashmore by the end. Are you coming to DC?
Chiketkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 Blytheville National Tour (5/29 - 5/30) & Blytheville Pro Solo (6/5 - 6/6) Chiketkd Autocross 69 08-10-2010 01:07 PM
2009 Philly Region Hobert Memorial, May 30-31 wrx wagone Autocross 39 06-03-2009 12:36 PM
2009 Farmington National Tour, May 16-17 daveyboy Autocross 14 06-01-2009 05:52 PM
Elkins WV Auto-X, May 30-31 claycron Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 29 05-29-2009 04:25 AM
Houston National Tour May 18th-19th TyrannoSullyRex Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 99 05-24-2007 04:29 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.