Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
lagodcm
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 164038
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Boise, ID
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STAGE 2
Ice Silver

Default Neutral Switch on 04 sti 6MT

So I was in a hurry and installed my 04 JDM 6MT without swapping sensors. I just swapped the harness. My cruise control doesnt work. Now what i need to know is do I have to pull the tranny back off to swap these sensors?F#@*%!!!!!!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
lagodcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
lagodcm
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 164038
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Boise, ID
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STAGE 2
Ice Silver

Default

Anyone....Maybe theres a way to just disable the neutral switch all together?
lagodcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
swiftwrx06
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 130897
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: West Chester and Scranton, Pa
Vehicle:
2006 6 speed WRX 18G
330awhp 355ft/lbs

Default

Returned your PM. Another thing to add, you might be able to do a temporary fix by splicing the 2 wires connecting to the neutral switch together. This will take the sensor completely out of the equation and make the car think its always in gear. ie. you should be able to turn on cruise control whether the car is in gear or not. You should be able to do this without taking anything major down, the wires are visible from underneath the car on the driver's side of the tranny, just make sure you have the right wires and not the dccd harness. I'd only do this as a temporary fix until you can get in there to change the sensor out though.

I'm assuming that now you can't turn on cruise control while in gear but when you are moving in neutral you can turn on cruise control and the rpm's will keep rising until redline before cruise shuts itself off. Am I correct? With the 04 neutral switch working with the 06 ECU the cruise control is working exactly backwards as it should, the car thinks its in gear when its really in neutral and thinks its in neutral when its really in gear.
swiftwrx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
lagodcm
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 164038
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Boise, ID
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STAGE 2
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwrx06 View Post
Returned your PM. Another thing to add, you might be able to do a temporary fix by splicing the 2 wires connecting to the neutral switch together. This will take the sensor completely out of the equation and make the car think its always in gear. ie. you should be able to turn on cruise control whether the car is in gear or not. You should be able to do this without taking anything major down, the wires are visible from underneath the car on the driver's side of the tranny, just make sure you have the right wires and not the dccd harness. I'd only do this as a temporary fix until you can get in there to change the sensor out though.

I'm assuming that now you can't turn on cruise control while in gear but when you are moving in neutral you can turn on cruise control and the rpm's will keep rising until redline before cruise shuts itself off. Am I correct? With the 04 neutral switch working with the 06 ECU the cruise control is working exactly backwards as it should, the car thinks its in gear when its really in neutral and thinks its in neutral when its really in gear.
UMMMM.....You think you would just be able to swap wires.
lagodcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
swiftwrx06
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 130897
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: West Chester and Scranton, Pa
Vehicle:
2006 6 speed WRX 18G
330awhp 355ft/lbs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagodcm View Post
UMMMM.....You think you would just be able to swap wires.
Yeah that would be nice but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. The Neutral Position Switch is basically just a resistor. When the car is in gear it adds resistance and when it is in neutral it adds no resistance (or maybe its the other way around). So just switching the wires around would have no affect. You can only connect the wires together to remove the resistor from the circuit to have a constant input ie. make the car think its always in gear.
swiftwrx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
lagodcm
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 164038
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Boise, ID
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STAGE 2
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwrx06 View Post
Yeah that would be nice but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. The Neutral Position Switch is basically just a resistor. When the car is in gear it adds resistance and when it is in neutral it adds no resistance (or maybe its the other way around). So just switching the wires around would have no affect. You can only connect the wires together to remove the resistor from the circuit to have a constant input ie. make the car think its always in gear.
i sent you a pm earlyier
lagodcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
swiftwrx06
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 130897
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: West Chester and Scranton, Pa
Vehicle:
2006 6 speed WRX 18G
330awhp 355ft/lbs

Default

I'm not sure about what color the wires are, they might not even be the same colors an every transmission. This pic might help you figure out exactly where the NPS is and find the wires coming off of it.

[IMG] [/IMG]
swiftwrx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
lagodcm
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 164038
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Boise, ID
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STAGE 2
Ice Silver

Default

FIXED....swapped neutral switch. I didnt even have to drop the tranny. I just took the tranny mount off and tilted it back....Thanks DS1
lagodcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
flwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 35944
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: west palm
Vehicle:
'03 6MT WRX
MBP

Default

Well I'm glad I found this thread and figured out what's going on. Ive had the nps cel ever since I swapped an 04 sti transmission into my 03 wrx.

My question is is the plug connector the same? ...just the sensor itself that I need to swap? I got rid of my 03 trans so I'm going to order the sensor online, but do I need the wire that connects to it or no?

...I'm guessing the connectors are the same because I'd have known something was wrong during install if it didn't plug in. Just want to make sure though, thanks
flwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #10
NSFW
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 140444
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
05 Stage Free LGT
ATP 3076, 6MT, AVO FMIC

Default

When I upgraded my LGT to an STI 6MT, I just put the LGT neutral and reverse switches into the STI trans and it all worked. I didn't have any issues with connectors, but I also don't remember if the harness that the switches plug into came from my old 5MT or my new 6MT.

My previous car had cruise control and no NPS and I really don't see a problem with defeating it, if that's easier. If you nudge it out of gear without using the clutch, you'll be bouncing off the rev limiter, but seriously how often are you going to do that?
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IC spray switch, Headlight Leveling, Master window switch off 04 STi travlindude Interior/Dressup/Audio & Security 0 02-27-2007 05:12 PM
Wtb: Dccd Scroller Switch and Manu Switch for 04 Sti (used) NotoriousD Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 0 02-26-2006 01:10 PM
in dash switch on 04 wrx sti rawko Electrical & Lighting 1 06-19-2005 01:33 PM
Axles for 04 STI 6MT smallcar Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 3 06-09-2005 04:26 PM
Remote car starters and the neutral switch on manual tranny. SilverSuby Car Audio, Video & Security 9 02-06-2001 11:13 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.