Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
SharpByCoop
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 199906
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CT, home of The Shop
Vehicle:
2008 Infiniti G37S
World's quickest: 11.13"

Default '06 STI 527whp AMR/The Shop/Junior tune

I live 5 mins away from The Shop, here in Norwalk, CT. In fact, I worked in the same building as a MV Agusta/Ducati technician for 7 years when it was a M/C shop. So the place is very familiar...

I needed new tires and Jimmy recommended Bridgestone Potenzas, while taking my suggestion of 225x50v17 and installed them (I highly recommend the larger diameter tire for anyone who wants longer gearing and a bit softer ride.)

I had a bunch of components built and installed by the guys at AMR (45 mins away), and I have been pleased with the performance all along.



Well, it was not unlikely that my stock pistons with 500whp (on AMR's dyno - a few more on Jimmy's) would say bye-bye. And so, a couple of missed shifts secured my loss. (#2 lost a ring land.)

Jimmy Kakeletris (the owner) diagnosed my problem immediately and made some internal suggestions that made sense for me and were within my budget:

Wiseco forged pistons
Kelford 272 cams, springs, retainers
H/D Cyl stud/bolts
Cosworth oil pump

This adds to the existing quality components all supplied/installed by AMR:
T60R stock location turbo (FP Red equivalent?)
FMIC and ducts/hoses
Full turboback exhaust
850cc injectors / Walbro pump
AEM Methanol dual nozzle injection
(I installed the Synapse recirc BOV, replacing the Tial)




Jimmy and his crew took took this on, removed the engine, and kept me abreast of developments daily. I had a broken motor mount and wishbone which was helping the FMIC silicone coupler saw it's way through a body panel. I had a bunch of self-imposed woes that needed repair.

In just over a week, Jimmy completed the internals, and handed it to Junior to tune for my suitability. The powerband is fairly flat and extends FAR along the curve with over 500whp from 6400 to 7800.

Junior could easily put this full-weight vehicle close to the tens. I will struggle breaking the elevens. Mea culpa. (My best has only been 12.16 @117.) Still, it's a hoot to drive on the street! I will give it my best after a street break-in.

We are at the limits of the turbo and the injectors at this point. That's OK, I should not need more. (Famous last words....) There is a plan for more when (once?) I decide.

I couldn't be more pleased with my treatment at The Shop and with discussing this project with Junior and his subsequent tuning expertise.



Best of ALL worlds!

Coop
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SharpByCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
UM-WRXer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44623
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Geneva, CH
Default

nice setup man...it seems as 500whp cars are a dime a dozen in the CT/NY/NJ tristate area
UM-WRXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
JK@THESHOP
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 156622
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop View Post
I live 5 mins away from The Shop, here in Norwalk, CT. In fact, I worked in the same building as a MV Agusta/Ducati technician for 7 years when it was a M/C shop. So the place is very familiar...

I needed new tires and Jimmy recommended Bridgestone Potenzas, while taking my suggestion of 225x50v17 and installed them (I highly recommend the larger diameter tire for anyone who wants longer gearing and a bit softer ride.)

I had a bunch of components built and installed by the guys at AMR (45 mins away), and I have been pleased with the performance all along.



Well, it was not unlikely that my stock pistons with 500whp (on AMR's dyno - a few more on Jimmy's) would say bye-bye. And so, a couple of missed shifts secured my loss. (#2 lost a ring land.)

Jimmy Kakeletris (the owner) diagnosed my problem immediately and made some internal suggestions that made sense for me and were within my budget:

Wiseco forged pistons
Kelford 272 cams, springs, retainers
H/D Cyl stud/bolts
Cosworth oil pump

This adds to the existing quality components all supplied/installed by AMR:
T60R stock location turbo (FP Red equivalent?)
FMIC and ducts/hoses
Full turboback exhaust
850cc injectors / Walbro pump
AEM Methanol dual nozzle injection
(I installed the Synapse recirc BOV, replacing the Tial)




Jimmy and his crew took took this on, removed the engine, and kept me abreast of developments daily. I had a broken motor mount and wishbone which was helping the FMIC silicone coupler saw it's way through a body panel. I had a bunch of self-imposed woes that needed repair.

In just over a week, Jimmy completed the internals, and handed it to Junior to tune for my suitability. The powerband is fairly flat and extends FAR along the curve with over 500whp from 6400 to 7800.

Junior could easily put this full-weight vehicle close to the tens. I will struggle breaking the elevens. Mea culpa. (My best has only been 12.16 @117.) Still, it's a hoot to drive on the street! I will give it my best after a street break-in.

We are at the limits of the turbo and the injectors at this point. That's OK, I should not need more. (Famous last words....) There is a plan for more when (once?) I decide.

I couldn't be more pleased with my treatment at The Shop and with discussing this project with Junior and his subsequent tuning expertise.



Best of ALL worlds!

Coop

Coop very nice to have finally worked with you , glad to see your happy with both your car and your results . Can't wait to get it to the track , Oh and forget about getting it in the 11's and lets get it in the 10's on a small frame turbo , your our guy for the coming month for us to put in the 10's - Jimmy
JK@THESHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
jasv11
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 117862
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: INNOVATIVE TUNING
Vehicle:
2006 STi 10.85@129.4
96 impreza 9.55e.t.146mph

Default

You can do it man!!!

jasv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
Redline927
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 77622
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2002 WRX

Default

thats ridiculous. Jimmy's the man.
Redline927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
evokiller89
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 190916
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: my gargage CT
Vehicle:
2005 HTA sti
CGM

Default

wow man awesome power curve on a stock location turbo holds 500 to redline. i meet you the first day you came down to the shop prob dont recall but it was nice to meet a fellow subie enthusiest Goodluck hitting 10's on stock location full interior!!
evokiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
Gfunk720
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 42549
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: You can find me in the 203
Vehicle:
E92 BMW M3
2011 VW TDI Wagon

Default

Nice curve, and car. I'll keep an eye out for you in the area...

Any reason you ditched the Tial for the Synapse BOV?
Gfunk720 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
Junior2JZ
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 64908
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Tuning 8/9sec Subies @ P&L
Vehicle:
10.8 XT+10.0@143 GR+
2x9.0@170mph GTRs

Default

Skip 11s and run 10s
Jim this looks like May's 10 sec ride of the month.

Coop, glad you are happy with the car. This is just the break in tune


Junior
Junior2JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
SharpByCoop
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 199906
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CT, home of The Shop
Vehicle:
2008 Infiniti G37S
World's quickest: 11.13"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK@THESHOP View Post
Coop very nice to have finally worked with you , glad to see your happy with both your car and your results.
Thanks, Jimbo. Likewise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasv11 View Post
You can do it man!!!
Jason, you're still my hero. I'll keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline927 View Post
thats ridiculous. Jimmy's the man.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evokiller89 View Post
i meet you the first day you came down to the shop prob dont recall but it was nice to meet a fellow subie enthusiest Goodluck hitting 10's on stock location full interior!!
I'll take an 11.9 first. Then we'll go onward... Be well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior2JZ View Post
Skip 11s and run 10s
Jim this looks like May's 10 sec ride of the month.

Coop, glad you are happy with the car. This is just the break in tune

Junior
Iyiyiyiyi..... I'm breaking it in, as asked. I took a slowwwww family ride to Bridgeport tonight, out for dinner. Going home, once, I opened it up from 3-4th gear to 'show' my wife.

Well, she wasn't ready for THAT!

Thanks, guys. I'm stoked!

Coop
SharpByCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
SharpByCoop
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 199906
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CT, home of The Shop
Vehicle:
2008 Infiniti G37S
World's quickest: 11.13"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfunk720 View Post
Any reason you ditched the Tial for the Synapse BOV?
I really didn't like the deceleration response with the Tial. The car was bucking and stalling and jerking upon light decel. Really made the ride unenjoyable.

After doing some research I chose the Synapse, and made sure I ran it with the recirculation outlet for quiet response and better driveability.

It's not 100% perfect, but MUCH better response and feel than the Tial with the 11lb spring I had.

I even tried a back-to-back run at the strip and netted my best time with the Synapse when I did, as the Tial seemed to drop the boost like crazy between shifts. This was for me and my driving.

Coop
SharpByCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
x82d
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 206964
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default

Coop. Please correct me if i am wrong but AMR has a dyno with a 0% 1.1 correction factor. meanwhile the shops has a 20% increase a 1.2 correction factor. You made 500whp on AMR's dyno correct? on the shops dyno with pistons and cams you made 527... if you do the math you are making 422whp on AMR's dyno... you just got pistons and cams and lost power?
x82d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #12
04blkbeauty
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 60741
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NNJ
Vehicle:
05 STI
SQC #156

Default

what EM did you use? sorry if you already put that up but I can't find it...
04blkbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #13
jays05
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78165
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: SC
Vehicle:
05 STI 35r + e85

Default

I don't think you can compare AMR and The Shops dynos even when both are run at 1.0 CF.

Coop what are you runing for engine management? I didn't see it anywhere. Congrats on your car!
jays05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #14
SharpByCoop
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 199906
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CT, home of The Shop
Vehicle:
2008 Infiniti G37S
World's quickest: 11.13"

Default

Cobb AP 2.0. Thanks, Jay!

Ya know, the quibbling over calculations can go on and on. The ONLY way to verify is to do a same day, same run on both dynos and compare at that point. That's probably not going to happen. And we all know the proven 'dyno' is the top-end at the strip.

All the rest is conjecture.

My 527whp happened on the same day Junior recorded 505whp on a customer's STI and went 128mph.

I don't expect to have lost anything. I'm also not of Junior's skill level.

Coop
SharpByCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #15
x82d
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 206964
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jays05 View Post
I don't think you can compare AMR and The Shops dynos even when both are run at 1.0 CF.
The shop dosent run at a 1.0 cf its a 1.2 Jimmy has told me him self in previous conversation and I've heard it from TONS of people who have gone there. and Im sorry about my typo AMR's dyno is a 1.0 cf.

Have fun beliving all this Coop, I hope you dont blow this one up from poor driving. I wish the best of luck to you at the track.
x82d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #16
JK@THESHOP
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 156622
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by x82d View Post
The shop dosent run at a 1.0 cf its a 1.2 Jimmy has told me him self in previous conversation and I've heard it from TONS of people who have gone there. and Im sorry about my typo AMR's dyno is a 1.0 cf.

Have fun beliving all this Coop, I hope you dont blow this one up from poor driving. I wish the best of luck to you at the track.

MR.x82d if you have nothing positive to contribute to this thread i would appreciate if you not post at all , your correct in stating that we run a correction of 1.2 , and if you are indeed correct about AMR running 1.0 when the car came in for a base line on my Dyno and on 1.2 it made 500 whp with 28 + psi on alky early on in the rpm band and fell off hard shortly there after , I am not here to start drama as i have nothing personally or professionally bad to say about AMR or their work - we are all in the same line of business , i have known Al for close to 20 yrs and have met Rob a few years back both good people , as Jr has stated this is his break in tune running far less boost then when the car came in , i can and will post before and after Dyno sheets if needed , so with stating what i have stated please tread lightly as not to poison or create any or any more drama - Thanks Jimmy
JK@THESHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #17
Junior2JZ
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 64908
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Tuning 8/9sec Subies @ P&L
Vehicle:
10.8 XT+10.0@143 GR+
2x9.0@170mph GTRs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by x82d View Post
The shop dosent run at a 1.0 cf its a 1.2 Jimmy has told me him self in previous conversation and I've heard it from TONS of people who have gone there. and Im sorry about my typo AMR's dyno is a 1.0 cf.

Have fun beliving all this Coop, I hope you dont blow this one up from poor driving. I wish the best of luck to you at the track.
Like Jimmy said, every one is being professional. Lets just leave it like that and not ruin Coop's thread. Keep your negative comments to yourself.

Also as Coop stated, I went 128+mph with 20 less whp in another customers STI... The same day I tuned Coop's car.
Junior2JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #18
AMR
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 171509
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Thumbs up

I agree, lets keep the thread clean.

Looks good.

The T60R has more in it. Put some C16 in here and turn it up.



-Rob
AMR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #19
juSTIn5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 178777
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2006 STi
WRB

Default

nice man, I can't wait till I have the money to upgrade. 500+ must be ridonkulous
juSTIn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #20
Desicus
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 208997
Join Date: Apr 2009
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Black

Default

very nice car... you stated you are at the limits of the turbo and injectors back in May... are you ready for more power yet?

Quote:
Iyiyiyiyi..... I'm breaking it in, as asked. I took a slowwwww family ride to Bridgeport tonight, out for dinner. Going home, once, I opened it up from 3-4th gear to 'show' my wife.

Well, she wasn't ready for THAT!
whiplash? god knows ive banged my back passengers head on the window and dang near scared the pewp out of with just a stock WRX, so i can only imagine the look on your wifes face when you got on it. lol

and if you have a boy of say 4-14 you are now his hero. if you have a boy of 16-21 he wants to take it out for a spin (with or without permission. ) if your son is 22-35 he is waiting for you to die so he can "inherit it"

if you have a girl 4-11 she could care less (unless she is one of those cool car girls.) if you have a girl 12-21 she is wondering why her father spent all that money on his car instead of clothes and shoes for her. if you have a girl 22-35 she is waiting for you to die so she can "inherit it" (and then sell it so she can buy clothes and shoes)

ill be getting most my stuff done over at The SHOP (when i have the money ) the stuff that doesnt get done over there will be non performance parts liek interior which im going to DIY so i can save money for the performance parts and have it done right .
Desicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #21
Remnex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83790
Join Date: Mar 2005
Default

I get raging wood when I ride in a car with 500+whp. RAGING WOOD.
Remnex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #22
shadowmd
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 193222
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore, MD
Vehicle:
05 Wrx 1.5xtr 6spd
2.5 hybrid 367whp/363wtq

Default

very nice car bro!
shadowmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #23
AlxSti
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 94615
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Wilmington, DE
Vehicle:
|'06 STi 341/356|
www.AffinitiBrokerage.com

Default

very nice
AlxSti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #24
foolio
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9351
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Last Minute Motorsports
Vehicle:
2006 trailblazer SS
black

Default

Nice Car for sure.. When your ready run those 10's but cant quite get there.. have Jimmy and Junior get ahold of me so I can rebuild your gearbox with the proper gears. Its tough to get into the 10s shifting into 5th. It can be done yes, but its much easier just to stay in 4th and spin it up. They have my number...

Jodie
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #25
SharpByCoop
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 199906
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: CT, home of The Shop
Vehicle:
2008 Infiniti G37S
World's quickest: 11.13"

Default

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I've been driving it regularly since this tune and you may have seen I went 7.43et" in the eighth. It's a pussycat on urban roads, too. Within the next week or so I will make time to get a 1/4 mile pass.

Desicus, that's some funny stuff! My son has his mother's will to survive. When I get on it and he's in the back (Strapped in his child seat), he says "Daddy stop it!" He's only six. He's right.

Foolio, one thing I have going for me is the addition of 225x50x17" tires. I LOVE the longer gearing and it's one step closer to your ideal.

Coop
SharpByCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The SHOP + JR TUNE 2006 STI + HTA86 9.7@144 !!! Junior2JZ Proven Power Bragging 188 07-26-2012 10:56 PM
The Shop CT Tuning, Installation Specials & WaCkY WeDnesDaYs!! Visconti Tri-State Area Vendor Classifieds 59 04-04-2010 11:22 PM
The SHOP + JR TUNE 2006 STI + HTA86 goes 10.43 @ 135.86 Junior2JZ Proven Power Bragging 210 10-31-2009 05:05 PM
Well the STi is in the shop grknss New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC 4 11-13-2003 01:12 PM
There will be an STI rolling by the shop tomorrow folks! Axis Power Racing Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 1 05-31-2003 11:28 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.