Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 11, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports > Press Releases

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
Crawford Performance
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 42075
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Oceanside
Default Tarzan and Team Crawford’s STI make a clean sweep at this weekend’s Super Lap Battle.

As the Subaru Skunkworks Team rolled into Firebird Raceway this past weekend, participants were met with clouds and pouring rain which kept the team’s Unlimited Class Impreza WRX STI staged in a warm trailer. We hoped the rain would break in time, but no luck…



With absolutely zero time on this track and the rain coming down, the Crawford team opted to send Tarzan Yamada out in his rental car for the 20 minute practice session. (We would like to personally thank the NASA officials for allowing us to run the rental car during this practice session!) The rental car handled the track as if it were on ice, but the crowds enjoyed every moment by erupting into cheers each time Tarzan made a pass by the spectator stands. After the practice session, Tarzan’s first comment was, “ I need more power!”



Then it was onto the actual Super Lap Battle: one warm-up lap, three hot laps and one cool-down lap. What could the Crawford Performance Super Lap TA car do in the hands of Tarzan Yamada with zero setup as the car had not been around the track yet? The clouds had broke, the rain had ceased, and the team’s car (referred internally as ‘Tony’ as in the tiger’) was being prepped for the first time on the road course. With the tire pressures in the Hankooks set for kill, Tony went off to battle. By the time Tarzan had finished his final lap, it was official; Tarzan had just won the AWD class and taken home the Overall Victory for Round 1 of the Super Lap Battle Qualifiers. After we returned to our pit, we were pleasantly surprised by the promoters of the event letting us know that we had just set a new track record for Firebird’s main course. We were told that our time was the fastest of any car with doors around the main track here at Firebird Raceway.

Long Live the Fraternity of Subaru!



We would like to thank our fellow Subaru Teams for their skilled and helpful support – Subaru Rally Team USA (Vermont SportsCar) and Subaru Road Racing Team (SRRT Phoenix)

It's not a successful race season without the support of our gracious sponsors – Subaru of America, Brembo, Cusco, Exedy Clutches, Garrett Turbos, JE Pistons, NGK spark plugs, MoTeC, Motul, Rays Engineering, SPT, The Driveshaft Shop and Tein USA. A special thanks to BFG for the drag slicks used in the Modified Mag Tuner shootout.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Crawford Performance; 04-16-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Crawford Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
WgnWheel
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63605
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Moms...yours
Vehicle:
04 Wrx Wgn TimeAtk
10 Golf TDI, 08 Stang GT

Default

Huge congrats to you guys!! Sorry our weather wasn't the greatest...it hadn't rained in over 50 days lol!

I can't believe Tarzan pulled out that time with zero previous laps in the car, on this track. For those that keep saying Tarzan isn't a great driver...i laugh. And to break the track record in the process! I've been running this track for years with some serious corvettes, porsches etc. and for a big 4 door to come out and run in the :02's in amazing! And it's a subaru

Congrats again.
WgnWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 33782
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing LLC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford Performance View Post
Long Live the Fraternity of Subaru!
I caught that

congrats on a good turn out guys. I'm still wondering if we'll be seeing you guys in the east for any events this year...?
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #4
PKSJ4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 92680
Join Date: Aug 2005
Vehicle:
2004 STI

Default

Sweep?

Does that mean you won all 4 events, what I guess means you won the Tuner shootout?

I'm confused. Was this a Super Lap Battle weekend or Modified Mag Tuner Shootout weekend.
PKSJ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:04 AM   #5
socalLGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89752
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: On the dyno at Yimi Sport
Vehicle:
08 STI
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKSJ4 View Post
Sweep?

Does that mean you won all 4 events, what I guess means you won the Tuner shootout?

I'm confused. Was this a Super Lap Battle weekend or Modified Mag Tuner Shootout weekend.

It was a Super Lap Battle qualifier and the Modified Tuner Shootout was being held concurrently. For the teams in the Tuner Shootout their lap times in the Time Attack portion counted for qualification in to the Super Lap Battle Finals, so by virtue of their win in the Time Attack, Crawford also qualified for Super Lap Battle. They did not "sweep" the event... not even close .
socalLGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Crawford Performance
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 42075
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Oceanside
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalLGT View Post
It was a Super Lap Battle qualifier and the Modified Tuner Shootout was being held concurrently. For the teams in the Tuner Shootout their lap times in the Time Attack portion counted for qualification in to the Super Lap Battle Finals, so by virtue of their win in the Time Attack, Crawford also qualified for Super Lap Battle. They did not "sweep" the event... not even close .
Hey guys, this press release is for the Super Lap Battle as the title clearly states. http://superlapbattle.com/blog/?p=510

There was an “invitation only” Modified Mag Tuner Shootout that was going on the same weekend at the same track, hold your horses…We will have a press release for that event as well

Team Crawford
Crawford Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #7
kahunaking
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183497
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: International
Location: In the Desert
Vehicle:
1998 V4 RHD STi
White

Default

All i know is that it was a fun day out there. We had 30 somthing guys from azawd out there and it was a good time plus we got to see some damn fast cars out on the track. But somehow it rained when it doesnt rain ever.
kahunaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
SpeedlabWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 73414
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SoFLA
Default

Congrats... Need to see some of those events out here in the south east. Good luck this season.
SpeedlabWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
jblaine
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 8512
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: St. Pete, FL
Vehicle:
2002 WRX chassis...
stage-infinity.com

Default

Congrats.

Who was your competition?
jblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
Crawford Performance
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 42075
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Oceanside
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaine View Post
Congrats.

Who was your competition?
Any car that has ever been on this track with doors!

Thanks for all the kind words

Team Crawford
Crawford Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #11
Crawford Performance
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 42075
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Oceanside
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post
I caught that

congrats on a good turn out guys. I'm still wondering if we'll be seeing you guys in the east for any events this year...?
Yes, we will go to at least one if not two events out your way!

Team Crawford
Crawford Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
mesa50w
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83044
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: charleston, SC
Vehicle:
04.5 blue STi
97 miata, 93 miata turbo

Default

Who else was running? Was the boys from Topspeed there?? GST??
mesa50w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
ButtDyno
Street's closed, pizza boy
 
Member#: 17301
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Why do they always say the Evo
Vehicle:
is the "dark side"
06 Evo #7 STU, 03 IS300

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford Performance View Post
As the Subaru Skunkworks Team
Why do you use the word Skunkworks?
ButtDyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
grippgoat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62182
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Kirkland, WA
Vehicle:
2005 STI
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtDyno View Post
Why do you use the word Skunkworks?
I'm guessing this: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/skunkworks

Perhaps with the emphasis on "loosely organized"? :P

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #15
ButtDyno
Street's closed, pizza boy
 
Member#: 17301
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Why do they always say the Evo
Vehicle:
is the "dark side"
06 Evo #7 STU, 03 IS300

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
I'm guessing this: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/skunkworks

Perhaps with the emphasis on "loosely organized"? :P

-Mike
Yeah, I am familiar with the LM stuff and even read Ben Rich's book. Just trying to figure out how it applies here..
ButtDyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #16
WgnWheel
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63605
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Moms...yours
Vehicle:
04 Wrx Wgn TimeAtk
10 Golf TDI, 08 Stang GT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa50w View Post
Who else was running? Was the boys from Topspeed there?? GST??
Most of the top tuner shops all around, were here. GST looked dominant in the modified tuner shootout. Full race had an 08 sti, the cricket sponsored 700whp nsx, science of speed nsx, ksport etc. i can't think right now, but lots of serious time attack cars were in attendance.
WgnWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #17
racerjon1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43612
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Columbia, SC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford Performance View Post
Any car that has ever been on this track with doors!

Thanks for all the kind words

Team Crawford
Hey guys, first off, congrats on the strong results for the Super Lap Battle, getting to those kinds of speeds is awesome.

But.. I think the track guys might have been a little premature in their statement about the fastest car with doors.

Arizona region of the SCCA has a track record list for the main course at Firebird, and the ITE (Improved Touring E) class record, held by Mike Stoney in a Dodge Stealth, is listed as a 1:00.136 - faster than the winning time listed for you guys on the Super Lap Battle site of 1:02.100.

Improved Touring cars should have doors if they are following the rules, (the rules require it) and they are also production chassis.

GT1, GT2 and GT3 are also sub 1:02 -and depending on bodywork, they might have doors.

AZ Track Records Page:
http://www.azscca.com/Docs/General%2...%20Records.pdf


Jon K
(who is not trying to be mean, but went looking to see what the track records were when I thought, "dang, that could be GT1 speeds.." I figured I would help out with accuracy some.)
racerjon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #18
leecea
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 37359
Join Date: May 2003
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtDyno View Post
Yeah, I am familiar with the LM stuff and even read Ben Rich's book. Just trying to figure out how it applies here..
The term skunkworks has taken on the meaning of a secret project, so it seems to imply that Crawford's team is essentially a front for Subaru to do car development. That's cool, if it's true.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #19
socalLGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89752
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: On the dyno at Yimi Sport
Vehicle:
08 STI
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford Performance View Post
Hey guys, this press release is for the Super Lap Battle as the title clearly states. http://superlapbattle.com/blog/?p=510

There was an “invitation only” Modified Mag Tuner Shootout that was going on the same weekend at the same track, hold your horses…We will have a press release for that event as well

Team Crawford
No disrespect intended guys, Tarzan was obviously flying out there and you were in great shape in the Modified Shootout till the rain came and you passed on the autocross. I was merely answering a question posted by someone else if you won the Tuner Shootout.
socalLGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #20
Crawford Performance
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 42075
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Oceanside
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjon1 View Post
Hey guys, first off, congrats on the strong results for the Super Lap Battle, getting to those kinds of speeds is awesome.

But.. I think the track guys might have been a little premature in their statement about the fastest car with doors.

Arizona region of the SCCA has a track record list for the main course at Firebird, and the ITE (Improved Touring E) class record, held by Mike Stoney in a Dodge Stealth, is listed as a 1:00.136 - faster than the winning time listed for you guys on the Super Lap Battle site of 1:02.100.

Improved Touring cars should have doors if they are following the rules, (the rules require it) and they are also production chassis.

GT1, GT2 and GT3 are also sub 1:02 -and depending on bodywork, they might have doors.

AZ Track Records Page:
http://www.azscca.com/Docs/General%2...%20Records.pdf


Jon K
(who is not trying to be mean, but went looking to see what the track records were when I thought, "dang, that could be GT1 speeds.." I figured I would help out with accuracy some.)

Thanks for the info Jon Whats up with the Ford Mustang running a 57, do you thing that it's actually a Mustang?
Crawford Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #21
Crawford Performance
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 42075
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Oceanside
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalLGT View Post
No disrespect intended guys, Tarzan was obviously flying out there and you were in great shape in the Modified Shootout till the rain came and you passed on the autocross. I was merely answering a question posted by someone else if you won the Tuner Shootout.
No disrespect taken

You guys did great this weekend as well...
Damn rain

Team Crawford
Crawford Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #22
racerjon1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43612
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Columbia, SC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford Performance View Post
Thanks for the info Jon Whats up with the Ford Mustang running a 57, do you thing that it's actually a Mustang?
Hmm.. the SP may be "Super Production" here on the east coast they usually divide it up into SPO (Super production "over" - I think it's 3 liters/forced induction) and SPU ("Super Production "under).

That is essentially a catch-all class for anything that doesn't fit other rules, or a production car that goes over the GT/Production class limits.. so it could be a Tube Frame ex trans am car with a turbo (or larger than allowed wings).. you never know. I would bet it's light, probably on full slicks and has a metric ton of HP.


Jon
racerjon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #23
Crawford Performance
Former Vendor
 
Member#: 42075
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Oceanside
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjon1 View Post
Hmm.. the SP may be "Super Production" here on the east coast they usually divide it up into SPO (Super production "over" - I think it's 3 liters/forced induction) and SPU ("Super Production "under).

That is essentially a catch-all class for anything that doesn't fit other rules, or a production car that goes over the GT/Production class limits.. so it could be a Tube Frame ex trans am car with a turbo (or larger than allowed wings).. you never know. I would bet it's light, probably on full slicks and has a metric ton of HP.


Jon

After some digging I found this,

TRANS-AM POINT STANDINGS: Gentilozzi tops the BFGoodrich Tires Trans-Am Series Drivers' Championship point standings while Ford heads the Manufacturers' Championship standings. Rookie of the Year points begin to accrue at Mosport Park. 1999 BFGoodrich Tires Trans-Am Series Drivers' Championship Point Standings One Race Total Pos., Driver, Hometown, Car, Points 1. Paul Gentilozzi, Lansing, Mich., Ford Mustang Cobra, 32 2. John W. Miller IV, Johnson City, Tenn., Chevrolet Camaro, 28 3. Michael Lewis, San Diego, Calif., Ford Mustang Cobra

Your hunch about the trans-am car was spot on!

Team Crawford
Crawford Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #24
racerjon1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43612
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Columbia, SC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford Performance View Post

Your hunch about the trans-am car was spot on!

Team Crawford
Yea, I figured it was something like that.. on the East Coast we see all kinds... lots of ex-NASCAR cup cars, baby grands, the occasional tt RX-7, Porsche, etc.

The GT1 Record on the Firbird Main held by the Jaguar is also a Trans Am car.. and that was a 55.? So.. yea.. no doubt that tube frame, slicks, 800hp, 2600 lbs is a way to get around a racetrack in a hurry. - I found a picture of that car (the jag), it does not have doors :-)


Jon K
racerjon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:05 PM   #25
WgnWheel
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63605
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Moms...yours
Vehicle:
04 Wrx Wgn TimeAtk
10 Golf TDI, 08 Stang GT

Default

I'll go on a limb and say that with a few more laps and in the daytime, tarzan could have reached a 1:00 lap. His 1:02 was at night, and lighting is very minimal at best.
WgnWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GST Motorsports secures 1st place at Super Lap Battle qualifiers mpj_becks Press Releases 1 04-12-2010 09:44 PM
GOTO:Racing Signs Title Sponsor Dell™ for Super Lap Battle and Redline Time Attack F B Esquire Motorsports 8 10-08-2009 06:22 PM
Super Lap Battle HD video of Tanner Foust driving Crawfords 08 STI Crawford Performance Motorsports 2 12-05-2008 10:22 PM
Crawford Qualifies for Super Lap Battle Finale modaddict General Community 19 07-21-2008 07:23 PM
Superstreet Super Lap Battle times posted! GST Motorsports Motorsports 2 11-16-2007 02:52 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.