Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
sittinsideways
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 194823
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Default comments on magnaflow muffler

does any one have http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/m...rrorfinish.asp

either the race series or street series on the 5 x 8 oval mufflers. weather they like them, they sound nice, problems with them. i have borla headers sitting at my house but i dont want a can on the end of my exhaust i want something a little more flush and clean looking but still with a nice tone to it for that boxer rumble.

thanks for the input
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
sittinsideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Member#: 60082
Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Magnaflow has generally been considered some of the better sounding mufflers on the market. I don't run one, but one will most likely find its way on my car whenever my current muffler rusts out.

Check out Youtube, plenty of Magnaflow vids around, even some Subarus.

Consider your exhaust to sound somewhat loud unless you also include a resonator/glasspack in the midsection. You won't really get anything quiet with any type of straight through muffler. Unless you intend to run a chambered muffler like stock, nothing will be quiet without the addition of a resonator/glasspack also.
Back Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Boricua 2.5i
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 158024

I don't know about Magnaflow, but you can also try Borla mufflers. I got the same car as yours(2006), only with OBX headers, HFC, two resonators and a Borla Pro XS muffler. It's a straight through design and sounds very deep, quiet as stock on idle. Seeing that you have Borla headers, I guess it should sound pretty good...just my .02 cents
Boricua 2.5i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
sittinsideways
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 194823

thanks guys
sittinsideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Soobie2.5i
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 137321
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
CGM

i actually know a guy who has a magnaflow muffler on his 2.5i... sounds beefy as hell. I think he's in the process of doing the UEL headers... but on the stock exhaust system for our cars the magnaflow sounds really beefy. I have another friend who has a Stromung catback... and the magnaflow is pretty close as far as sound and beefyness.
Soobie2.5i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
williaty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 71092
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua 2.5i View Post
I don't know about Magnaflow, but you can also try Borla mufflers. I got the same car as yours(2006), only with OBX headers, HFC, two resonators and a Borla Pro XS muffler. It's a straight through design and sounds very deep, quiet as stock on idle. Seeing that you have Borla headers, I guess it should sound pretty good...just my .02 cents
What resonators are you using and where did you put them?
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Boricua 2.5i
Scooby Newbie

I'm actually using the one that comes with the headers (the little one), and a Magnaflow resonator which is much bigger. The HFC is installed after the headers and the OBX resonator, and after the HFC is the Magnaflow resonator. Hope that makes sense
Old 05-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

So you're using one of the Magnapack resonators? Do you remember which length?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
Boricua 2.5i
Scooby Newbie

Ahhh, they had them on the muffler shop I went to, but I never asked how long it was, but it looked pretty much to be like 14 or so inches.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

It's a glass pack. I don't think any shop sells actual resonators.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
williaty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

The Magnapacks aren't glass packs, they're filled with stainless steel wool. Same idea, but supposedly lasts longer.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Well, same difference, yeah. I think any fiber filled product is called a glass pack. I'm not sure what else you'd call it. It's not a resonator, at least not a true resonator. I guess you could call it a race muffler, lol, but most every straight through muffler is essentially a glass pack design, just with a larger, non-circular chamber.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #13
Zac86
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 136919
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Wagon
ABP

I have one on my legacy, I love it. I have a video on youtube somewhere.
Zac86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #14
treksofar
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 208070
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
Regal Pearl Blue

magnaflow mufflers sound oh so nice on a subaru. if you're still running your stock pipes i'd highly recomend going with a catback magnaflow setup. i had a choice of either that or the injen ses catback. the ses won cuz i got it cheap but i like the sound of magnaflow so much better.
treksofar is offline   Reply With Quote