Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday November 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 04:02 AM   #1
chimchimm5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88501
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Default Need lights aimed 45+ from center for 06/07 WRX

I'm sick of driving at night and not being able to see anything that's not within the 60 degree or so forward cone of the headlights. The fogs don't help much either.

Without putting on a rally pod on the hood (this is a daily driver), what options do I have to add some kind of light to illuminate a wider field of view?

I don't care about HID bright/white... I just care about simply being able to SEE a wider field of view, and higher view. (I drive some windy, hilly roads at night.)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
chimchimm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
Carter
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 156708
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Palmer, AK
Vehicle:
2004 Mini Cooper S
Invader 125 Shifter Kart

Default

Get a light bar, add two 500FF's in fog pattern, aim at 45's. Problem solved.
Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
chimchimm5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88501
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Carter View Post
Get a light bar, add two 500FF's in fog pattern, aim at 45's. Problem solved.
Is there a faq on this (didn't see any)? I'll look up what you recommended, but I have no idea what 500FF really means. (Like this?)

Amazon.com: Hella 5750941 500FF Light Kit: AutomotiveAmazon.com: Hella 5750941 500FF Light Kit: Automotive


So I guess the rally innovations bar should be good? Doesn't seem to be any other choices out there.

Can I run this off the fog light circuit or will that blow the fuse?

Or do you have to do the "tap the battery" thing?
chimchimm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:35 AM   #4
subaru3169
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 55252
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: i know, i regret it too
Vehicle:
* pullup bar *

Default

if you get the kit, it'll come with its own relay harness and switch.. so tapping anywhere is not necessary
subaru3169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Bluefoton
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141373
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Quebec, QC
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i-hatch -
now with a HID retrofit

Default

You do use your high beams, don't you?

If the illuminated cone is too small, you can just drive faster. The perceived field of view will progressivelly narrow, as you won't have time to look anywhere but right in front. Also. it decreases the chance of a deer jumping in front of your car from the side - unless it's already there
Bluefoton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
chimchimm5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88501
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoton View Post
You do use your high beams, don't you?

If the illuminated cone is too small, you can just drive faster. The perceived field of view will progressivelly narrow, as you won't have time to look anywhere but right in front. Also. it decreases the chance of a deer jumping in front of your car from the side - unless it's already there
Of course I use my high beams.

And "drive faster"? ...you are being silly.
chimchimm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
chimchimm5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88501
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru3169 View Post
if you get the kit, it'll come with its own relay harness and switch.. so tapping anywhere is not necessary
Thanks! I'll get the kit then.

Looks like rally innovations $250 bar is the only option.

It seems something like this does not need to be that expensive.
chimchimm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
chimchimm5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88501
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Default

Oh... is there a way to aim the fog lights?
chimchimm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #9
Bluefoton
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141373
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Quebec, QC
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i-hatch -
now with a HID retrofit

Default

Yes, I was being silly . And Hella 500 fog lights are your best bet. Don't get the pencil light ones, they project a very narrow spot very far (ie good for straight driving).

However, a light bar isn't mandatory. Lot of people figured a way to attach the hellas using random combination of Home Depot nuts, bolts, and bars. I brought my car to a friendly garage with a few L-shaped metal pieces, and they put them quite well for less than 100$.

Have a look here.. might inspire you
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=673117
Bluefoton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
raptor12r
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 175737
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver
Vehicle:
07 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchimm5 View Post
Oh... is there a way to aim the fog lights?
I had my front bumper off the other day and the OEM foglights do have adjustment knobs on them. Im pretty sure its just for up and down.
raptor12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 AM   #11
chimchimm5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88501
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor12r View Post
I had my front bumper off the other day and the OEM foglights do have adjustment knobs on them. Im pretty sure its just for up and down.
Thanks for the info... crud.. that doesn't do me any good.
chimchimm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:39 AM   #12
DC16A2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 174357
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2002 OBS

Default

I would do this if I lived in more wilderness and less NYC:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1746938

Effective, and it's not going to cost you anywhere near $250 =)
DC16A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:34 AM   #13
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

silly n000bs....FOR THE 06-07 IMPREZA

from
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

for the low beams.....

65W Osram Ultra High Output (2100 lumen, H9 burner on H7 base, race and special-purpose use): $29.40/ea

and for the hi-beams

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOSHI...Q5fAccessories

The HIR 9011 replaces a stock 9005/ HB3 high beam bulb.



doing the above is one of the most shocking lighting improvements I have ever seen by just changing bulbs

doing anything else without trying the above first is just plain dumb
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
Captain Ned
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 36144
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vermont, USA
Vehicle:
2010 Legacy2.5GT Ltd
Graphite Gray Metallic

Default

Agree with Uncle Scotty. The H9/H7 upgrade is nice (I've never been a fan of the sharp-cut Euro pattern, but I'm an old fart), but the first time you fire up those HIR 9011s in the deep dark you'll crap your pants at the light booming from your grille. The only thing with the 9011s is that you have spend 30 seconds with a pair of dikes nibbling off a bit of the locator tab. Most places that sell 9011s have already marked out the part that needs to be nibbled off.
Captain Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:04 AM   #15
chimchimm5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88501
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
silly n000bs....FOR THE 06-07 IMPREZA

from
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

for the low beams.....

65W Osram Ultra High Output (2100 lumen, H9 burner on H7 base, race and special-purpose use): $29.40/ea

and for the hi-beams

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOSHI...Q5fAccessories

The HIR 9011 replaces a stock 9005/ HB3 high beam bulb.



doing the above is one of the most shocking lighting improvements I have ever seen by just changing bulbs

doing anything else without trying the above first is just plain dumb
I'm listening to Uncle Scotty!

I'll step 1 with the HIR 9011's.... as I'm fine with the low beams, but when I'm alone I want to highbeam and light up the FOV.

Last edited by chimchimm5; 05-29-2009 at 02:26 AM.
chimchimm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:18 AM   #16
chimchimm5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88501
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ned View Post
Agree with Uncle Scotty. The H9/H7 upgrade is nice (I've never been a fan of the sharp-cut Euro pattern, but I'm an old fart), but the first time you fire up those HIR 9011s in the deep dark you'll crap your pants at the light booming from your grille. The only thing with the 9011s is that you have spend 30 seconds with a pair of dikes nibbling off a bit of the locator tab. Most places that sell 9011s have already marked out the part that needs to be nibbled off.
I don't understand what this means. You mean take a dremmel and grind down some tab that is on the bulk or the headlight housing?

EDIT: O I C...

http://shnu.us/HIR%20Trimming%20Stock.htm

Last edited by chimchimm5; 05-29-2009 at 02:30 AM.
chimchimm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:19 AM   #17
williaty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71092
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Delaware County, Ohio
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Default

Someone is veeeery confused

The Hella 500FF comes in driving beam only.

The Hella 500 comes in fog, amber fog, and driving.

You'd want 500FFs mounted as high as possible and aimed out to the sides.

Ooooorrrrr....


You could get Hella 1000FFs in Driving Beams which are brighter, more efficient, project farther down the road, have a more even beam, and provide ample illumination to the sides even while pointed straight ahead.

Stock Lows:


Stock Highs:


Hella 100FFs:




See how far off to the side (in this picture, looks like "closer") the 1000FFs throw the light?
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:37 AM   #18
chimchimm5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88501
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaty View Post
Someone is veeeery confused
...
You could get Hella 1000FFs in Driving Beams which are brighter, more efficient, project farther down the road, have a more even beam, and provide ample illumination to the sides even while pointed straight ahead.
...
See how far off to the side (in this picture, looks like "closer") the 1000FFs throw the light?
Yes. VERRY confused.

How would a 9011 high beam compare to a 1000FF?
chimchimm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:40 AM   #19
williaty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71092
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Delaware County, Ohio
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Default

The reflector shape is what matters. The 1000FFs are "only" an H1 bulb, yet they're far, far brighter than the stock low beams, which also use an H1 bulb.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #20
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

d0000000000000000000000d..........

forget the ****ing aftermarket lights FOR THE ****ING MOMENT

do what I suggest and THEN see what you are missing------not much at that point, I'm sure

go from there
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #21
williaty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71092
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Delaware County, Ohio
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
forget the ****ing aftermarket lights FOR THE ****ING MOMENT

do what I suggest and THEN see what you are missing------not much at that point, I'm sure

go from there
Your fairy magic light bulbs aren't going to make his beam wider. Sure, things like HIR will make the existing beam pattern brighter, but that's it. Since he asked for a wider beam, not a brighter beam, I chose to answer his question.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #22
chimchimm5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 88501
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Grey

Default

Yeah, so to clarify:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchimm5 View Post
I'm sick of driving at night and not being able to see anything that's not within the 60 degree or so forward cone of the headlights. The fogs don't help much either.

Without putting on a rally pod on the hood (this is a daily driver), what options do I have to add some kind of light to illuminate a wider field of view?

I don't care about HID bright/white... I just care about simply being able to SEE a wider field of view, and higher view. (I drive some windy, hilly roads at night.)
I'm annoyed with not being able to see when the road bends at > 80 degrees (no street lamps). During the day grandma's could take the bends but at night, DUE TO THE LACK OF LIGHT, you have to slow to a crawl. That just annoys and disrupts a nice cruise.

That is... when I need to turn my head 45 degrees to see the road ahead... *I need illumination there*.

I'll probably still get the 9011 for the cool of it, but it sounds like I'll need aux lights to aim in those directions.
chimchimm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #23
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

and a set of hella micro de's if the Osram 65w + 9011HIR is insufficient

blasting through places where you have limited sightline at nite is a FABULOUS way to get to meet Bambi and all her friends, up close and personal

regardless of the lights on the car
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #24
williaty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 71092
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Delaware County, Ohio
Vehicle:
2005 2.5RS Wagon
Regal Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
and a set of hella micro de's if the Osram 65w + 9011HIR is insufficient
I've owned the driving and fog Micro DEs. Both suck.

Quote:
blasting through places where you have limited sightline at nite is a FABULOUS way to get to meet Bambi and all her friends, up close and personal

regardless of the lights on the car
Well, +1 to that.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #25
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaty View Post
I've owned the driving and fog Micro DEs. Both suck.
but are easy to aim and install just about anywhere

which is a real problem with these cars

without adding a brush bar style mount and LARGE lights

I have been all over this one and there are few real options that work.

the lower opening, outside upper corners are pretty easy, but that is too low for a proper driving light....and too high for a fog
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where did you get your HIDS from for 06-07 wrx gindobuck Electrical & Lighting 4 03-24-2009 12:46 AM
FULL BREMBO SWAP FOR 06-07 WRX everything needed ( NEW ) JUST TESTING WATERS 06wrxlbart Suspension/Brakes/Handling 5 08-29-2008 10:02 PM
FULL BREMBO SWAP FOR 06-07 WRX everything needed ( NEW ) JUST TESTING WATERS 06wrxlbart Tri-State Area Private Classifieds 10 07-31-2008 02:16 AM
wtb tires 225-45-17 or stock 06-07 wrx bhhamblin RMIC Private Classifieds 3 01-03-2008 08:09 PM
light weight rotors for 06-07 WRX 2evo1wrx Brakes, Steering & Suspension 9 03-10-2007 02:31 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.