Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday May 4, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
csugden
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 154959
Vehicle:
04 JDM STI
White

Default JDM 04 to JDM 07 DCCD Problem

I am doing a change out of a 04 JDM Sti engine, g/box. diff etc. I have the engine and dashboard wire harness and have changed it out. I also have the ecu, steering column, key. The problem is this; when the ignition is on, the DCCD gauge looks normal, when the car is started, the lowermost green indicator starts blinking, normally this would be in Auto mode, this should not come on, when the DCCD is put in manual mode, the controller works in reverse, move the selector wheel forward, it moves from lock to lowest green light, and vice versa.
Any suggestion would could be the problem? This model has the pitch and roll sensor on the front control arm. No problem with the 04 before swap.
Have all the components as far as I am aware.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
csugden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
MasterKwan
Scooby Guru

Member#: 98961
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Black

USDM DCCD controllers aren't compatible across the years. They changed the resistance of the DCCD coil in 06 and the wiring harness changed between 04 and 05 so, the newer DCCD controllers set a code when driving an older transmission (or so I read).

I'm not really all that clear on your actual setup but, subaru has made swaps like this difficult. You probably need the newer DCCD controller which means you need the newer ABS system too (wiring between the 04 DCCD controller and 04 ABS is completly different to the wiring from the 05 DCCD to 05 ABS. So, you can't have 04 ABS and 07 DCCD controllers.

Check the wiring harness. I only learned some of this very recently.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
Spiider
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 13680
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

^^^MasterKwan, you are wise in the ways of the dccd systems! I thought no one else bothered to learn this stuff except me....

Another tidbit I just figured out recently myself that will solve part of your manual mode mystery...

Someone from Singapore sent me a JDM thumbwheel for their controller....its backwards to ours. The operation is the same but the output voltage is reversed.

Wacky huh?

It was no big deal for me to reverse for their unit and you should be able to fix it this way too.

There are three pins, reverse the wires on the first and third pins and it will act opposite to what it is doing now.
Spiider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
csugden
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 JDM STI
White

We have also installed the 07 ABS together with the sensors, but still using the 04 hubs. It's not in running mode though as yet.
If this problem persists, would an aftermarket DCCD controller be the way to go ?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
MasterKwan
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Black

Yeah, Spiider's controller will solve all of this.

Quote:
I thought no one else bothered to learn this stuff except me....
I don't want to have to depend on someone else to fix my swap. It's a pet peeve of mine. People paying someone else to mod their cars and then they can't maintain it.

Quote:
when the DCCD is put in manual mode, the controller works in reverse,
Looks like Spiider answered this one too. Wiring of the manual knob. Are you using the 07 knob?

I've lost some respect for Subaru after doing my swap. It was like working on an American car where parts change for no good reason and they make changes just to make swaps difficult. If you look at honda, they use the same parts for 10 years in some of their cars. They engineered it right the first time and didn't need to change. Subaru's though well, they change crap for no reason.

csugden, you may have to change the windshield wiper motor with the one from an 07 (or re-wire it). On my 03->05 swap, the windshield wiper motor had the same connector, same color code but, the internals of the motor changed so, I had to change the motors over. You can't change just the whole unit because they changed how they bolted down, you had to switch motors and keep the same arm mechanism. Was a real pain in the ass.

I just think Subaru's engineers aren't as forward thinking as Honda's.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
csugden
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 JDM STI
White

The DCCD mystery continues, yesterday the electrician calls, he wants to get the original ECU which came with the 1/2 cut I got all my stuff from. I remind him that I only got the ECU, no keys, steering etc. and had to source another ECU (same part #) key and steering column because of immobilizer issues. Anyway, took the ECU to him, compared #'s, both have the same #'s, compared pins etc, all look the same. Changed out ECU, DCCD seems to be working, no blinking lights, manual selection seems ok.
Car wouldn't start though, immobilizer issues. Electrician say he could take care of that.

Why would two ECU's have the same Model and part # and not be compatible, Subaru surely makes things difficult.

I have already ordered a dccdpro deluxe controller as a contingency plan, if everything turns out ok, I would have it for sale.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
MasterKwan
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Black

Quote:
Car wouldn't start though, immobilizer issues. Electrician say he could take care of that.
You answered your own question. The ECU is tied to the key. When you switch ECU's you have to switch keys too or get the new ECU reprogrammed to use the old key. Immobilizer systems wouldn't work very well if any key worked with any ECU.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
csugden
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 JDM STI
White

Default Ah yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
You answered your own question. The ECU is tied to the key. When you switch ECU's you have to switch keys too or get the new ECU reprogrammed to use the old key. Immobilizer systems wouldn't work very well if any key worked with any ECU.
So true oh wise one.

Would keep thread updated as things progress.