Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 23, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
speedymatt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 54910
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2003 BAJA Classic
Silver/Silver/& uh Silver

Lightbulb Make your own bike rack for under $30

I found this site while searching for some sort of solution to the bike rack problem faced by most of us.
Click This Link
The concept was so simple its one of those "why didn't i think of that" things. I don't have bikes with quick release fronts so having something that holds the entire bike up is key. With the rack in place the rear wheel of my bike sits at the end of the down tailgate.

Suggested modifications to the directions are change the 6-16.5"s to 6-11.75"s for the shortened width of the baja bed. I also used 9 of the 1.75" spacers to make all three slots suitable for mountain bike treads. If you choose to make one slot thinner that will change that 11.75". Best bet is to build the tire slots first then measure for the filler peices thats what worked for me. Last is I'm planning to add some eylets to the underside of the rack to connect a turnbuckle to that eylet and the rear hook on the bed (plactic on plastic slides bad). I will add pictures when the rack is all painted and the mount is worked out but this racks works and is super easy to make.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by speedymatt; 06-12-2009 at 08:23 AM. Reason: lack of sleep makes for bad posts
speedymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
weiVA
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 72942
Vehicle:
2005 Baja T
Atl Blue Pearl

Nice find. I just have fork mounts attached to a 2x4. Fits into either 2x4 slot in the bed. I'll take pics later today.

I do like the pipe version since it seems more secure than a bungied down 2x4, but I've not had problems with my setup (knock on wood).
weiVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
speedymatt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 54910
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2003 BAJA Classic
Silver/Silver/& uh Silver

yeah i think the fork mount setup is probably as cheap and easy but the wife and i didn't want to invest in anything more that walmart special bikes and at the time we bought them (may have changed) that price point of bike didn't come with a quick release front wheel. so for me this works just fine, if you have a quick release front (and if i had one) i'd use it.
speedymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
corgimas
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 156817
Vehicle:
2006 5 speed bajA
A.Blue w kayak up on top

i literally just saw this last night around the corner from, my house in the back of a pickup.......very cool...also works outside the truck too!!!!
corgimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
jakub911
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 44919
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru Baja T
Black

Default Custom Bike Rack (Kinda)

I've been hauling around my bikes on a hitch rack all last year, but i finally got fed up with the bikes banging around, so i looked around and constructed a bike rack in the bed, its fits four bikes, fork mounted (front wheel removed) fork mounts are lockable, it cost about 12 bucks per mount, the horizontal bar is a 7/8 galvanized unistrut (avaliable at your local electrical supplier for like 12 bucks per 10 foot piece), its fits perfectly into the metal hooks mounted in the baja bed, and used 1/4-20 bolts, nuts and washer to put it together. Total price was about 80 bucks, really secure and sturdy.

Last edited by jakub911; 06-15-2009 at 10:55 PM.
jakub911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
corgimas
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 5 speed bajA
A.Blue w kayak up on top

hey Jakub911 any chance of pix that are a bit bigger? (link to the picasa page?) and/or pix of the bar without bikes???
thanks
corgimas
Old 06-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
jakub911
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Subaru Baja T
Black

HERE'S A CLOSE OF UP, WHERE THE UNISTRUT ATTACHES TO THE LOOP
Old 06-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
jakub911
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Subaru Baja T
Black

ITS A LITTLE TIGHT, BUT STILL WORKS GOOD WITH FOUR BIKES AND I JUST SLIDE THE FRONT TIRES IN BETWEEN THE BIKES

HERE'S A CLOSE OF UP, WHERE THE UNISTRUT ATTACHES TO THE LOOP
Old 06-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
corgimas
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 5 speed bajA
A.Blue w kayak up on top

Cool!!!!!!!
thanks for the pix.....