Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday September 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
cradevski
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 181753
Default difference between r160 rear diff. and n/a rear diff.

are both a, 2007wrx rear diff and 2007n/a impreza diff the same or are the ratios and pinnions different? i found an diff out of a 2007n/a impreza for a very cheap price and am wondering if it will swap into a wrx drivetrain. if it works wouldn't mind having and extra around. thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cradevski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
rougeben83
Scooby Guru

Member#: 115154
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2005 Outback XT
White on grey

theyre both r160 diffs. the difference, if any, will be in the gearing.
rougeben83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
cradevski
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 181753

would it be compatable with the wrx 5 speed without any technical difficulty even if the gearing were different? thanks for your feedback!
cradevski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
kpluiten
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120273
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
06 WRBWRXWGN
Now with 100% more Spec-C

The gearing will be different between the two I believe. Your WRX has a 3.7 ratio while the 2.5i will be a 3.9 I believe (you would need to confirm this, but I'm almost 100% positive it's not 3.7). You cannot use a rear differential with a different ratio on your car unless you change your front differential ratio to match. This is cost prohibative. Running mismatched ratios between from and rear is bad news and will ruin your center differential.

The housings on both are called R160's. That refers to the physical dimensions of the differential, but does not specify the internals (diff type, ring and pinion ratio, etc). Another thing to consider is that your 2007 WRX (and all WRX's in the US from 2002 to 2007) has a viscous LSD unit. While the unit is small and not the most useful/robust unit, it is still better (in theory) than the open differential in the 2.5i rearend.

Unless it's super cheap and you think you can resell it for some money, just let it go. It is not worth keeping around. The only time at which it may prove useful for your car is if it's a 3.9 ratio and you are doing an STI 6MT swap and need that ratio on the rear diff (2004 & 2005 STI 6MT boxes). In this situation you could drop a LSD unit in there and have it be useful in the swap.
kpluiten is offline   Reply With Quote