Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #3426
Rattles
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16486
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Somewhere in New England..
Vehicle:
2006 Jeep

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcbinc View Post
Crossfit games question: Are there any PED testing for the athletes?





Crossfit games were on ESPN The Ocho or whatever channel it's on at the bar last night, and I made the statement that these guys all look like linebackers, but in reality, are small (vs your average CFB/NFL linebacker) and to look that ripped up doesn't take a needle. Yeah, some are 'big' (6' to 6'1", 200-215lbs) but that's not 'big' in an NFL or Strongman sense, or even an eyeball test.

However, 2 other guys disagreed, saying that simply looking at the musculature of most of the guys kinda proves that these guys are injecting, or have done at least a couple cycles. Their argument is that to look like the men in CFGames you need to a)do traditional lifts and b)steroids to achieve that size/physique.

This then morphed into the argument of 'is it possible to get that big and ripped on only Crossfit?'

they do PED. there is an interview with Froning on Youtube where he talks about this since many people always claim that he is doing roids. the thing is that if you look at the guys and girls that are at the games and the volume of training that they do, there is no surprise that they look the way they do. these guys don't do 5 typical CF wods per week, they do about 3 sessions a day with some heavy weights so their training is more in line with body builders and weight lifters than your average crossfitter. Khalipa, Froning, Baily, Maddox and all these guys lift tons of weight and most of them actually came from other sports so they are not just guys who started Crossfit and became the way they are.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Rattles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #3427
Rattles
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16486
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Somewhere in New England..
Vehicle:
2006 Jeep

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e11ys View Post
I've never really tried to convert to butterfly either...the downswing feels like you could really mess your arms up if you got tired/used the wrong form/etc. There's no doubt that they provide a distinct advantage in speed. You can butterfly way faster than you can do traditional kipping pullups.
no argument about the speed part but i would argue that for most people that are doing Crossfit to get healthier and fitter and are not planning on winning the 2015 Cf games, its just not worth it. that movement can kill a shoulder faster than almost anything else and as a person with a torn rotator cuff, i can tell you that it is not worth it.
Rattles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #3428
-=C=-
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7719
Join Date: Jun 2001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicblue View Post
All 84 pullups before moving on to dips? If you don't kip, I assume there's still some leg action? I don't kip, but I have a little leg kick.

General q: how does kipping compare, philosophically, to what I've seen called the 'butterfly' technique? Just another way to skin the cat?
Sorry, I should have posted the WOD:

21 Dips 3 Pull-ups
18 Dips 6 Pull-ups
15 Dips 9 Pull-ups
12 Dips 12 Pull-ups
9 Dips 15 Pull-ups
6 Dips 18 Pull-ups
3 Dips 21 Pull-ups
-=C=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #3429
pattylicous
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 117487
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=C=- View Post
I felt really good about my performance yesterday. Best in the "class" (there's just a small group of us that do CF).

11 minutes flat to do 84 pullups and 84 dips.

Now, I realize that some of you that have kipping down to a science could probably have finished in 5 minutes flat, but I don't.

2nd place was around 14:30, so I feel pretty good about it. It's rare I am in the lead.
C, what gym do you crossfit at? I just moved back to Tulsa and have been thinking about getting into it. I may try a couple out in my area.
pattylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #3430
e11ys
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 77106
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lexington, SC
Vehicle:
'02 Brodozer
'13 Golf TDI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattles View Post
no argument about the speed part but i would argue that for most people that are doing Crossfit to get healthier and fitter and are not planning on winning the 2015 Cf games, its just not worth it. that movement can kill a shoulder faster than almost anything else and as a person with a torn rotator cuff, i can tell you that it is not worth it.
Agreed.
e11ys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #3431
Gcbinc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 28459
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: I was over there
Vehicle:
But I'm over
here now.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattles View Post
they do PED. there is an interview with Froning on Youtube where he talks about this since many people always claim that he is doing roids. the thing is that if you look at the guys and girls that are at the games and the volume of training that they do, there is no surprise that they look the way they do. these guys don't do 5 typical CF wods per week, they do about 3 sessions a day with some heavy weights so their training is more in line with body builders and weight lifters than your average crossfitter. Khalipa, Froning, Baily, Maddox and all these guys lift tons of weight and most of them actually came from other sports so they are not just guys who started Crossfit and became the way they are.
Ok. That settles that.
Gcbinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #3432
BacDoc
Tone Patrol
 
Member#: 75141
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=C=- View Post
Sorry, I should have posted the WOD:

21 Dips 3 Pull-ups
18 Dips 6 Pull-ups
15 Dips 9 Pull-ups
12 Dips 12 Pull-ups
9 Dips 15 Pull-ups
6 Dips 18 Pull-ups
3 Dips 21 Pull-ups
I'm doing this today along with my chest workout. What's the time to beat?
BacDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #3433
Rattles
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16486
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Somewhere in New England..
Vehicle:
2006 Jeep

Default

here is a good video to show you how these Games guys live and how they spend the day:

http://games.crossfit.com/video/days-life-rich-froning

look at the volume of training that Froning does (3 minute mark)

and roids discussion at the 13 minute mark

Last edited by Rattles; 09-20-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Rattles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #3434
Neek
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3400
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Vehicle:
2013 Gojira
2007 Triumph Speed Triple

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattles

they do PED testing.
Fixed for clarity.
Neek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #3435
totalburnout
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 72861
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: North Jersey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattles View Post
they do PED. there is an interview with Froning on Youtube where he talks about this since many people always claim that he is doing roids. the thing is that if you look at the guys and girls that are at the games and the volume of training that they do, there is no surprise that they look the way they do. these guys don't do 5 typical CF wods per week, they do about 3 sessions a day with some heavy weights so their training is more in line with body builders and weight lifters than your average crossfitter. Khalipa, Froning, Baily, Maddox and all these guys lift tons of weight and most of them actually came from other sports so they are not just guys who started Crossfit and became the way they are.
Not quite sure I fully understood that...

They do test for PEDs or they do use PEDs? I was 90% sure that they don't do doping tests based on all the people that I know that have competed in regionals.

I'm also 100% positive some of those guys are on PEDs - just like baseball players, football players, olympians, and fighters (all sports that are tested). The fact that they can handle that volume speaks to the fact that 1) they're genetically gifted and 2) others are on gear to help them recover from that load.
totalburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #3436
Gcbinc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 28459
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: I was over there
Vehicle:
But I'm over
here now.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalburnout View Post
Not quite sure I fully understood that...

They do test for PEDs or they do use PEDs? I was 90% sure that they don't do doping tests based on all the people that I know that have competed in regionals.

I'm also 100% positive some of those guys are on PEDs - just like baseball players, football players, olympians, and fighters (all sports that are tested). The fact that they can handle that volume speaks to the fact that 1) they're genetically gifted and 2) others are on gear to help them recover from that load.
Rattles states that the Crossfit Games test for PEDs.

Rattles,
I watched about 20mins of that video, and the kid (he's a kid - 24) is impressive. The self motivation to work that hard, and that often, without much (if any) game plan at all is really impressive.

The basis in the big 3 lifts is also something I thought I would find among the Crossfit games guys, and he backed that up - he either squats, deadlifts, oly lifts, or benches pretty much every single day.

It doesn't hurt that he's 24 either. At that age, if you think about adding muscle, you add muscle.

The only part I find disingenuous is when the interviewer asked him if he knew anyone that uses steroids, and he said no.

There is NO WAY ON THIS EARTH that a guy that spends all day in gyms doesn't know or been offered steroids.
He knows someone. Several someones. I can guarantee that.
Gcbinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #3437
-=C=-
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7719
Join Date: Jun 2001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
I'm doing this today along with my chest workout. What's the time to beat?
11 minutes flat was my time.
-=C=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #3438
-=C=-
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7719
Join Date: Jun 2001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattylicous View Post
C, what gym do you crossfit at? I just moved back to Tulsa and have been thinking about getting into it. I may try a couple out in my area.
Platinum Fitness. Not a Crossfit gym, but work pays for it so about 5-8 of us each day are there and they don't mind us doing CF stuff. Albeit, it's not fun without bumper plates most of the time.

I have a buddy that owns Crossfit Eclipse and they are opening a new location at 91st and Memorial. I think they'll be the premier location in town when they get the new location open soon. Showers, full Rogue gear, large facility, etc.
-=C=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #3439
ptirmal
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82243
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Philly
Vehicle:
07' Acura TL-S
11' Ducati Monster 796

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcbinc View Post

The only part I find disingenuous is when the interviewer asked him if he knew anyone that uses steroids, and he said no.

There is NO WAY ON THIS EARTH that a guy that spends all day in gyms doesn't know or been offered steroids.
He knows someone. Several someones. I can guarantee that.
I don't know, I don't think I consider knowing someone if it was some dude at the gym trying to sell me some roids.
ptirmal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #3440
sonicblue
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 25227
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Oh s**t I ain't from Brooklyn!
Vehicle:
2006 Kodo Homage
Dark Titanium

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=C=- View Post
Sorry, I should have posted the WOD:

21 Dips 3 Pull-ups
18 Dips 6 Pull-ups
15 Dips 9 Pull-ups
12 Dips 12 Pull-ups
9 Dips 15 Pull-ups
6 Dips 18 Pull-ups
3 Dips 21 Pull-ups
Think I may do that tomorrow!
sonicblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #3441
Gcbinc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 28459
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: I was over there
Vehicle:
But I'm over
here now.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptirmal View Post
I don't know, I don't think I consider knowing someone if it was some dude at the gym trying to sell me some roids.
I meant that he knows either someone on Roids and/or been offered.

Spend enough time in a gym, and you will too. That's been my experience, anyway. Then again, I live in S FL....Land o'Roids.

G
Gcbinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #3442
Neek
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3400
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Vehicle:
2013 Gojira
2007 Triumph Speed Triple

Default

What town do you live in now, Gcb?
Neek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #3443
pattylicous
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 117487
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=C=- View Post
Platinum Fitness. Not a Crossfit gym, but work pays for it so about 5-8 of us each day are there and they don't mind us doing CF stuff. Albeit, it's not fun without bumper plates most of the time.

I have a buddy that owns Crossfit Eclipse and they are opening a new location at 91st and Memorial. I think they'll be the premier location in town when they get the new location open soon. Showers, full Rogue gear, large facility, etc.
After looking around at the prices, I wish my work paid for it . I may be too poor and I'll have to slum it at St Francis Health Zone.
pattylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #3444
-=C=-
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7719
Join Date: Jun 2001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattylicous View Post
After looking around at the prices, I wish my work paid for it . I may be too poor and I'll have to slum it at St Francis Health Zone.
If you can't find anyone that wants to do it with you, Crossfit can be tough. You'd have to be really motivated to do it yourself.

That said, if you are, then getting some rings, a pullup bar (good one in the garage, not flimsy), a box jump box, kettlebell, jump rope, and dumbbells for the house can get you 90% there. You could get bumper plates as well, but a set will run you around $500. Add in a used Concept 2 rower and you'd be golden. Then start charging your neighbors for CF lessons!

I agree the pricing is ridiculous, but that's because it's a numbers game. They don't get 1,000 people paying them with only 200 people going.
-=C=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #3445
EnterTheDragon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6511
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: West of the Atlantic
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicblue
OK, tough guy.... I'm comparing to the "little" dudes that are like 5'7", 150lbs (and may be ripped as s**t, that's not the point), who can throw themselves up on a pull-up bar 50 times because their travel distance is like 14". I have a long way up....
Don't get butthurt. At 6' 180 you're a skinny weakling that needs to eat and lift and not worry about mechanical disadvantage.

P.s. I'm taller than you and my max pull ups wasn't 50 but a respectable 37 when I cared about that.

Last edited by EnterTheDragon; 09-20-2012 at 05:04 PM.
EnterTheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #3446
Gcbinc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 28459
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: I was over there
Vehicle:
But I'm over
here now.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neek View Post
What town do you live in now, Gcb?
West Deerfield - The last light before the Sawgrass on SW10th.

Waterways development. I feel safe announcing that because I have a crack security staff with the finest of golf carts.

In truth, they have kept out a couple of my ex-lady friends that felt the need to drop by unannounced.
My lady-friends must ALWAYS be announced.
Gcbinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #3447
totalburnout
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 72861
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: North Jersey
Default

Found an ART and chiro guy that's in the crossfit community. Hopefully this if THE answer.
totalburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #3448
totalburnout
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 72861
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: North Jersey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcbinc
I meant that he knows either someone on Roids and/or been offered.

Spend enough time in a gym, and you will too. That's been my experience, anyway. Then again, I live in S FL....Land o'Roids.

G
That's any town USA. Crossfitters are blinded by the love of the community that they don't realize there's the same impurities here as anywhere else. PEDs, recreational drugs, alcohol abuse. Everything else is paleo and health focused, so they forget people will still take short cuts.

Crossfit is heavy on military and police. Two groups that are classic subsets of roids. When ifs your job to make sure you win a physical altercation, I don't blame them either.

Then you have the ultra competitive athletes that aren't just doing it for looks but also athletic performance or even rehab. HGH is a beautiful thing to heal aches and pains.
totalburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #3449
Rattles
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16486
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Somewhere in New England..
Vehicle:
2006 Jeep

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcbinc View Post
Rattles states that the Crossfit Games test for PEDs.

Rattles,
I watched about 20mins of that video, and the kid (he's a kid - 24) is impressive. The self motivation to work that hard, and that often, without much (if any) game plan at all is really impressive.

The basis in the big 3 lifts is also something I thought I would find among the Crossfit games guys, and he backed that up - he either squats, deadlifts, oly lifts, or benches pretty much every single day.

It doesn't hurt that he's 24 either. At that age, if you think about adding muscle, you add muscle.

The only part I find disingenuous is when the interviewer asked him if he knew anyone that uses steroids, and he said no.

There is NO WAY ON THIS EARTH that a guy that spends all day in gyms doesn't know or been offered steroids.
He knows someone. Several someones. I can guarantee that.
the way i understood the question was if he knew another games athlete that uses and i think that:

1) he wouldn't say yes even if he did know
2) he honestly doesn't know
3) the answer is probably no since most of these guys (except for Froning and a few others to some extent) are all about natural foods, natural life style etc..
Rattles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #3450
Rattles
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 16486
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Somewhere in New England..
Vehicle:
2006 Jeep

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterTheDragon View Post
Don't get butthurt. At 6' 180 you're a skinny weakling that needs to eat and lift and not worry about mechanical disadvantage.

P.s. I'm taller than you and my max pull ups wasn't 50 but a respectable 37 when I cared about that.
i am with this guy. when i started CF i was 225lbs or so and now i am at 183lbs. the problem is that i am 6'1 which means that i look kinda sickly or at least a bit too weak for my height. i am not in the process of actually adding back the mess and lifting a lot more so i can get back to about 195-200lbs. on a side note, packing on and bulking up on Paleo is not as easy nor cheap as it is on a typical diet. a few years ago when i was working out at the gym, bulking up was a lot easier with gallons of milk, jars of peanut butter etc..

btw, tomorrow we are doing "Nasty Girls" and i am freaking out. my legs are still shut from a workout on Monday so doing the 150 squats is not something that i am looking forward to
Rattles is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The CrossFit thread Gerkins31 Off-Topic 59 02-14-2013 09:36 PM
Crossfit, Schmossfit. fatalfitness.com poison Off-Topic 12 07-11-2008 06:32 PM
OMG...workout folk: crossfit kicked my butt today -=C=- Off-Topic 37 05-14-2008 09:21 PM
Anyone here Crossfit? blitzpb Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 12 10-31-2006 07:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.