Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #1276
-=C=-
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7719
Join Date: Jun 2001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=C=-
Today for me will be the main site WOD:

"J.T."

21-15-9 reps of:
Handstand push-ups
Ring dips
Push-ups

Looking forward to crushing this one...I'm hoping for sub 10 minutes.
Did it in 9:26
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
-=C=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #1277
Tim K.
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 214
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Sumter, SC
Vehicle:
2014 Massey Ferguson
Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=C=- View Post
Did it in 9:26
That ain't a bad time at all! Congrats!
Tim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #1278
EnterTheDragon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6511
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: West of the Atlantic
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurismoLou

I've seen plenty of videos that they post on the Crossfit site where you see form breaking down because of fatigue. Form goes out the window with fatigue, and let's face it, when you're doing rep after rep for 15-20 minutes your form is not going to be the same at the end of the WoD as it was at the beginning.
I can agree with that. its still not the injury factory unless you take it there
EnterTheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #1279
wcu25rs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 102632
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Brevard, NC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurismoLou View Post
You add a clock to a workout and a competitive person and it equals a recipe for disaster.
that's them hurting themselves, not the workout.
wcu25rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #1280
Tim K.
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 214
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Sumter, SC
Vehicle:
2014 Massey Ferguson
Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
that's them hurting themselves, not the workout.
That sounds so emo.
Tim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #1281
TurismoLou
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 9480
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Man of Mystery
Vehicle:
2011 Wrangler Unlim.
Anti-hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs

that's them hurting themselves, not the workout.
Listen, just because you're a diehard kool aid drinker doesn't mean you have to turn a blind eye to facts.

Just watch this video: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...nsDLBurpee.wmv
and tell me that workout just doesn't equal a recipe for disaster. I'm not condemning Crossfit, hell, I risk injuring myself whenever I max out on a big lift. I'm just saying, as hystikal himself found out, the more you do Crossfit, the more chance you have of injuring yourself. Now do I admire what some of the elite Crossfitters can do? Hell yeah, but no way do I want to subject myself to Crossfit 5-6 days a week.

Last edited by TurismoLou; 04-07-2011 at 06:36 PM.
TurismoLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #1282
wcu25rs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 102632
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Brevard, NC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurismoLou View Post
Listen, just because you're a diehard kool aid drinker doesn't mean you have to turn a blind eye to facts.



Just watch this video: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...nsDLBurpee.wmv
and tell me that workout just doesn't equal a recipe for disaster. I'm not condemning Crossfit, hell, I risk injuring myself whenever I max out on a big lift. I'm just saying, as hystikal himself found out, the more you do Crossfit, the more chance you have of injuring yourself. Now do I admire what some of the elite Crossfitters can do? Hell yeah, but no way do I want to subject myself to Crossfit 5-6 days a week.

This has nothing to do with drinking koolaid(whatever that means in this situation), I'm just not a dolt that thinks a workout is what hurts someone. People hurt themselves, man, plain and simple. Can I go in and blatantly do a deadlift and hurt myself? Yep....I did that, not the simple act of deadlifting. It boils down to smart people and people who are so freaking enamored with being "beastly" that they sacrifice their own body.

If I do a workout that I know there is a possibility that form could get off because of fatigue, I always slow it down a bit to make sure my form is as good as can be, while still trying to maintain some speed. But you have some people who only care about time and form goes out the window. That is their fault, not the design of the workout. Dont sit there and tell me that it is impossible to do some workouts to the end while maintaining good form and good speed. Ive done CF 5-6 days/week for 2 years without an injury happening because of those two reasons.

As far as injuries going up by doing CrossFit, it's totally dependent on the individual and their fitness level and experience level. I suffered a back injury way back in middle school that forced me to see a chiro regularly. All the way up until I started CrossFit, I would get pinched nerves and slipped discs(may not be the technical term) fairly often, probably every 2 months or so, and this was when I was doing mechanized routines. Ever since starting CF 2 years ago, Ive aggravated my back maybe once.
wcu25rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #1283
wopgenius
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 153855
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida
Vehicle:
2008 Hyundai Elantra

Default

Today's WOD was freaking awesome! I was spent at the end:

Tabata “Guts”
Slam Ball F20/M30
Box Jumps F20/M24
Push Ups
Wall Ball F14/M20
V Sit-Ups
Lateral Jumps
6 Rounds of:
20sec work/10sec rest
minute rest between rounds


I think my rounds were 98, 91, 74 (which sucks cuz only our low round counted) 82, 77, 82 if I recall correctly. Basically ever rep was counted as one point.


As far as CF and injuries I could see more people being injured in crossfit than a regualr gym. But it is because of the intensity coupled with social facilitation and people/coaches not knowing when to pull back. It has nothing to do with the exercises in my opinion but, again, with the ppl themselves. If you don't know how to do something properly don't do it. If you can't deadlift 84 times in a WOD don't. It is hard to do though when everyone around you is doing it but you have to listen to your body and know your limitations. I have told my coach at my box that I can't do overhead squat very well so last time we did it I used a 15lb bar and that is it. Until I know I can do it safely/properly I will only use minimal weight if I even do it at all.

Plus I think lack of rest would play a big part. If you don't listen to your body and do CF 5/6 days a week for months on end you are def going to hurt yourself. I have taken a week off twice already and I have only been doing it since Jan.


This is my opinion and I do CF 5ish times a week plus I work and used to work out at a regular LA Fitness/Gold's type gym.
wopgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #1284
-=C=-
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7719
Join Date: Jun 2001
Default

You know when a lot of people in Crossfit get hurt? When their ego and peer pressure take over. If you can't do another squat clean and your body and mind both know if you do you might injure yourself, but you hear "GO MAN DON'T QUIT!" Screamed at you over and over by peers that should also know when you've reached your limit...and then couple that with ego. Then you've got a guy that's willing to force a few more up and the risk of injury greatly increases at that point.
-=C=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:18 AM   #1285
wcu25rs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 102632
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Brevard, NC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=C=- View Post
You know when a lot of people in Crossfit get hurt? When their ego and peer pressure take over. If you can't do another squat clean and your body and mind both know if you do you might injure yourself, but you hear "GO MAN DON'T QUIT!" Screamed at you over and over by peers that should also know when you've reached your limit...and then couple that with ego. Then you've got a guy that's willing to force a few more up and the risk of injury greatly increases at that point.


exactly! It has nothing to do with what workout is being done....it's got everything to do with who is doing it.
wcu25rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #1286
Prevent
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 149114
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I'm too mainstream
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=C=- View Post
You know when a lot of people in Crossfit get hurt? When their ego and peer pressure take over. If you can't do another squat clean and your body and mind both know if you do you might injure yourself, but you hear "GO MAN DON'T QUIT!" Screamed at you over and over by peers that should also know when you've reached your limit...and then couple that with ego. Then you've got a guy that's willing to force a few more up and the risk of injury greatly increases at that point.

This.



I try my hardest, to never ever put myself in a situation were i will get hurt.
Prevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #1287
EnterTheDragon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 6511
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: West of the Atlantic
Default

Busted out five reps of wod 11.3 in about 30 seconds after my deadlifts. I was just pressing the weight up so theres no way ill maintain that but I was happy with how it felt.

My deads were significantly down today so I'm going to take it easy for a couple days while I eat the most massive amount of dirty calories I can get into and then give the wod a go.
EnterTheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #1288
coop119
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 20001
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default

Today's WOD: "sucking wind"

For time:
400m run with 45lb plate overhead
100ft burpee broad jumps
10 snatches (95 lbs)
20 pull ups
30 push ups
40 air squats
50 sit ups


whee? I think I may die. More after workout at 11.
coop119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #1289
-=C=-
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7719
Join Date: Jun 2001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop119 View Post
Today's WOD: "sucking wind"

For time:
400m run with 45lb plate overhead
100ft burpee broad jumps
10 snatches (95 lbs)
20 pull ups
30 push ups
40 air squats
50 sit ups


whee? I think I may die. More after workout at 11.

The first 2 there will make most cry. If you can pace yourself through that well enough you should be ok. Is that the guy's Rx on the snatches? Seems heavy for girls. That first run though will definitely suck...(same for the run, that's gotta be the guys rx).
-=C=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #1290
Neek
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3400
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Vehicle:
2013 Gojira
2007 Triumph Speed Triple

Default

I'm sure it's 65# for women. That's pretty standard for something like this.

I agree, once you get to the snatches you're gonna be OK.
Neek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #1291
coop119
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 20001
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=C=- View Post
The first 2 there will make most cry. If you can pace yourself through that well enough you should be ok. Is that the guy's Rx on the snatches? Seems heavy for girls. That first run though will definitely suck...(same for the run, that's gotta be the guys rx).
yeah I'm sure those are the guys Rx weights. I did the girl's Rx for kettlebell swings on Wednesday and was proud of myself for that.


Any tips on getting the kipping pull ups down? I can do 3 dead hang, and the trainer swears once I get the kipping down I'll be able to bang them out, but I just end up swinging awkwardly...
coop119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #1292
-=C=-
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7719
Join Date: Jun 2001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop119 View Post
Any tips on getting the kipping pull ups down? I can do 3 dead hang, and the trainer swears once I get the kipping down I'll be able to bang them out, but I just end up swinging awkwardly...
I'm not very good at kipping...so my advice probably won't help. As an aside though, I can do 20+ dead hangs since I kip so bad.

Everyone tells me to keep watching the Youtube videos and to keep trying to get a rhythm built up first.

Personally, I've been learning the butterfly kip and it's actually easier for me to pick up. I can do about 5 right now, but those 5 feel like 2 normal pullups.
-=C=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #1293
Neek
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3400
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Vehicle:
2013 Gojira
2007 Triumph Speed Triple

Default

Once you get the basic kip swing (which isn't really a swing, but a transfer of weight forward and back) that you can freeze at any point in the movement (you don't want any momentum swinging you on the bar) it's a quick study to start getting some kips. My wife was positive she would never get it for about 6 months, now she has it.
Neek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #1294
BacDoc
Tone Patrol
 
Member#: 75141
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

What's the advantage of a kip? I can't see an advantage other than a compound movement that may work your core.
BacDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #1295
coop119
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 20001
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
What's the advantage of a kip? I can't see an advantage other than a compound movement that may work your core.
From crossfit.com

"Short version: Kipping allows more work to be done in less time, thus increasing power output. It is also a full-body coordination movement when performed correctly, which applies more functionally to real-life application of pulling skills. Last, but not least, the hip motion of an effective kip mirrors the motion of the olympic lifts/kettlebell swings, adding to it's function as a posterior-chain developer."

long version: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=5010
coop119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #1296
-=C=-
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 7719
Join Date: Jun 2001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop119 View Post
From crossfit.com

"Short version: Kipping allows more work to be done in less time, thus increasing power output. It is also a full-body coordination movement when performed correctly, which applies more functionally to real-life application of pulling skills. Last, but not least, the hip motion of an effective kip mirrors the motion of the olympic lifts/kettlebell swings, adding to it's function as a posterior-chain developer."

long version: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=5010
And the answer most Xfitters will give you:

"It lets you do more pullups so you're time is better".
-=C=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #1297
Neek
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3400
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Vehicle:
2013 Gojira
2007 Triumph Speed Triple

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
What's the advantage of a kip? I can't see an advantage other than a compound movement that may work your core.
You have to remember that Crossfit considers performing an exercise as trying to find the most efficient way to apply work over time. It is just about never to "work" a specific muscle group. So when people argue that kipping pullups aren't "real" pullups because deadhang pullups are supposed to work your lats/back etc. they don't realize that Crossfit doesn't prescribe pullups to work specific muscles but rather to perform the work of lifting your body weight to get your chin over the bar multiple times as quickly as possible. That will involved getting other large powerful muscles involved like the psoas, glutes, and hamstrings to get the work done--and that's where the kip comes in.
Neek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #1298
Neek
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3400
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Vehicle:
2013 Gojira
2007 Triumph Speed Triple

Default

To understand why Crossfit is effective you have to stop thinking about what muscles an exercise works, and start thinking about the work you are trying to accomplish as quickly as possible.
Neek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #1299
BacDoc
Tone Patrol
 
Member#: 75141
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neek View Post
You have to remember that Crossfit considers performing an exercise as trying to find the most efficient way to apply work over time. It is just about never to "work" a specific muscle group. So when people argue that kipping pullups aren't "real" pullups because deadhang pullups are supposed to work your lats/back etc. they don't realize that Crossfit doesn't prescribe pullups to work specific muscles but rather to perform the work of lifting your body weight to get your chin over the bar multiple times as quickly as possible. That will involved getting other large powerful muscles involved like the psoas, glutes, and hamstrings to get the work done--and that's where the kip comes in.
Posers.

*takes sip of Muscle Milk Man 9000

I'm thinking about joining local CF gym soon. Shoulder is doing much better since rball ended. MRI still has me slightly worried.
BacDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #1300
Neek
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3400
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Vehicle:
2013 Gojira
2007 Triumph Speed Triple

Default

What's on the MRI? One thing Crossfit will do is expose any nagging injuries you have going in. Particularly with the shoulders. That's fine and you can scale/adjust things to accommodate for it, but it will find them for you.
Neek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The CrossFit thread Gerkins31 Off-Topic 59 02-14-2013 09:36 PM
Crossfit, Schmossfit. fatalfitness.com poison Off-Topic 12 07-11-2008 06:32 PM
OMG...workout folk: crossfit kicked my butt today -=C=- Off-Topic 37 05-14-2008 09:21 PM
Anyone here Crossfit? blitzpb Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 12 10-31-2006 07:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.