Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
eraser_rx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 199287
Default Different look: Steel wheel vs Stock WRX wheel

I have searched the forum....and most of the topic are about mags/rim offset...but not about Steel wheels

i'm the second owner of my car....and when i got the car from the dealer....they put winter steelies for me....the 195/65R15 steelies looks more "sticking out" (closer to the fender/smaller offset) then stock WRX 205/55R16....

i couldn't really find the offset value on the steelies...looks like 15x6 et50mm or less....and stock wrx is 16x6.5 et55mm

so definitely, the track width with the steelies are longer apart....might result in more stress in the bearings? what else could wear out quicker?....

how long does subaru's bearing usually last?

anyways...it's only for a winter...but would appreciate if someone can answer my concern

man, the stock WRX mags just look plain ugly...6.5 wide 55mm offset really makes the wheels look "pushed in" if you know what i mean....
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by eraser_rx; 06-12-2009 at 08:04 PM.
eraser_rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
grippy monkey
Scooby Guru

Member#: 131067
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
your "stance"
sucks

steel wheels are typically very heavy so people don't really mess with them

You can get custom steels made from Diamond Racing in any size and offset you want. If you wanted to make some 16x8 steels in 5x100 with a decent offset that would be completely doable and not very pricey.

as far as running stock steels instead of OEM wheels... NO
grippy monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:32 AM   #3
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser_rx View Post
I have searched the forum....and most of the topic are about mags/rim offset...but not about Steel wheels

i'm the second owner of my car....and when i got the car from the dealer....they put winter steelies for me....the 195/65R15 steelies looks more "sticking out" (closer to the fender/smaller offset) then stock WRX 205/55R16....will those steelies affect the suspension geometry???

man, the stock WRX mags just look plain ugly...6.5 wide 55mm offset really makes the wheels look "pushed in" if you know what i mean....
d0000000000d....there are gazillions of subaru wheels that fit your car

all would be better than steelies
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:52 AM   #4
stanjk3
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 125224
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT Wagon
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
d0000000000d....there are gazillions of subaru wheels that fit your car

all would be better than steelies
What he said^

You should be able to find some stock 17" Legacy wheels for not a whole lot. The 5 spoke wheels (05-06 LGT, 06-09 L 2.5i) are 20-21 lbs, not too bad for OEM.

IMO even the 16" 10-spoke wheels used on the 05 WRX, 03-04 LGT and 05 L 2.5i would look better.
stanjk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
eraser_rx
Scooby Newbie

3 replies and question still not answered...

the winter tires that came with the car are brand new....i'm not selling them either....
tires on the wrx rims will still last for 2 more summers...not doing anything until then...

what i'm saying is, the steelies look more "sticking out"...which look a lot better than the stock WRX "pushed in" look.....
Old 06-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
fliz
Scooby Guru

Member#: 30342

Where's the question?

They are probably low offset steel wheels meant for a VW or something. The offset will be stamped in the wheel.

As far as the effects of low offset wheels, the material makes no difference.

My steelies are +53, I believe.

fliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
eraser_rx
Scooby Newbie

Quote:

i'm the second owner of my car....and when i got the car from the dealer....they put winter steelies for me....the 195/65R15 steelies looks more "sticking out" (closer to the fender/smaller offset) then stock WRX 205/55R16....will those steelies affect the suspension geometry???

there is the question

ok...maybe i didn't provide the offset of the steelies....but i couldn't really find the offset value on the wheels...looks like 15x6 et50mm or less

anyways...it's only for a winter...but would appreciate if someone can answer my concern
Old 06-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
Kean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25187
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

Quote:
there is the question

ok...maybe i didn't provide the offset of the steelies....but i couldn't really find the offset value on the wheels...looks like 15x6 et50mm or less

....you can determine the offset by manually measuring it. As for the suspension geometry, take what appears to be a lower offset wheel that may be 1/2 inch narrower in width than stock and of course it's going to change. ....I think it's more of a "how much" question than "if it will".
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
fliz
Scooby Guru

Member#: 30342

Like Kean said. Anything that moves the centerline of the wheel relative to the hub is going to change the geometry.

If a narrower wheel is noticeably further out, I'd bet the offset is closer to 30 than 50. The sticky on offsets gives good info on the acceptable ranges.
fliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
eraser_rx
Scooby Newbie

thx....so definitely, the track width with the steelies are longer apart....might result in more stress in the bearings....

how long does subaru's bearing usually last?