Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
eraser_rx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 199287
Default want to know effect of wider trackwidth with steelies

I have searched the forum....and most of the topic are about mags/rim offset...but not about Steel wheels

i'm the second owner of my car....and when i got the car from the dealer....they put winter steelies for me....the 195/65R15 steelies looks more "sticking out" (closer to the fender/smaller offset) then stock WRX 205/55R16....

i couldn't really find the offset value on the steelies...looks like 15x6 et50mm or less....and stock wrx is 16x6.5 et55mm

so definitely, the track width with the steelies is longer....what would be the negative effect? result in more stress in the bearings? what else could wear out quicker?....

and if i want to buy new mags...is track width one of the factor to consider?

how long does subaru's bearing usually last?

anyways...it's only for a winter...but would appreciate if someone can answer my concern
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
eraser_rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Kean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25187
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

....I'm not sure why you needed to open another thread on this (you already have one). Also, WHEEL composition (i.e. aluminum, steel, magnesium, etc.) is a moot point when discussing offset. .....making most of those other threads that talk about ALUMINUM WHEELS + offset, relevant.

Now, if the offset is in question regarding your steel wheels and you are curious are to what it is, simply measure it yourself. A quick Google search led me to this:

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace

It has pictures and step by step instructions. It's simple math and even tells you how to convert to mm if you are measuring in inches.

As for wheel bearings, it really depends on a number of factors. Obviously, a lower offset changes the way the load affects the wheel bearings. How this may negatively impact bearing life in your situations is anyone's guess. .....the lower the offset, the harder you drive, etc. will all play roles. Other considerations of changing the offset are its affects on things like scrub radius. Basically, you are changing the suspension geometry. This can translate to handing characteristics that you may or may not notice. .....again, depending on several factors.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Alex Wetmore
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 213196
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1998 Outback Sport
Black

My car also came with generic non-Subaru steel wheels. The biggest issue that I had with them was fender rub on tight corners when the rear of the car was loaded down. I put on some stock Subaru wheels (bought from the classifieds here) and my fender rub issues are gone. The wheels sit visibily closer to the centerline of the car.

I haven't driven enough with the correct wheels to comment on any handling changes.
Alex Wetmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
eraser_rx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 199287

thx.....my set didn't rub the fender....but you can tell that it's much closer to the fender than the stock WRX mags....

thx....i know i started 2 threads.....just want to hear more opinion from more ppl
eraser_rx is offline   Reply With Quote