Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 4, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #1
chevybelly
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 205148
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
97 OBS
Green/Tan

Default HELP PLEASE attaching engine to tranny

Good Morning,

I am having difficulty attaching my engine to my tranny. Its a 97 OBS with EJ22 NA. The engine was removed for machine work. It has the 4 engine to tranny bolts. The two bottom bolts dont want to go in any further than flush with the outter tranny wall. I can just barely feel the treads from the back


The book says not to pull the engine in with the nuts. All I can think if is the clutch pressure plate is not aligned. The engine is about 3/4 installed on the tranny input shaft, just wont go the last few inches ( about 4 inches total)...Almost there


Its on enough for me to rotate the tranny at the crank. I know its rotating because it wont rotate while in gear, just neutral. So I know im on the input shaft.


The book says to align input shaft with the pressure plate ( I think I might have my wording off ) by rotating the crank before you install the engine to transmission.

Questions.

1.) Is there a special alignment orientation of input shaft and pressure plate, like a marking or is it just the teeth?

2.) Do I need the alignment tool? Never used one, are they worth it?

3.) The book calls for 138 inch lbs of torque on the clutch to flywheel bolts. Why such little torque and should I use RED Loctite on my bolts?

Any other help would be great, I would love to get the car running by Fathers Day. Once I get the engine in, I think the rest will be plug and play. Maybe a few simple questions
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
chevybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
snoopyone8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 42970
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut USA
Vehicle:
1998 2.5RS BlkDmdPrl
2000 2.5RS SilverthornMet

Default

Not sure what car you have, or what trans, but this info should apply to all MT's.
Yes, there is an alignment tool for the clutch disc, not the pressure plate. You must align/center the clutch disc with the pilot bearing in the center of the flywheel before you tighten/lock it down with the pressure plate. Once the disc is aligned properly, you can tighten the pressure plate and it will hold it centered. I do not have an alightment tool (and couldnt find one), so I used (hold on for this one) a sharpie and some duct tape...worked perfectly. The sharpie fits perfect in the pilot bearing and I just wrapped/built up enough tape on the sharpie to hold the clutch disc centered. Tightened the pressure plate bolts and viola, perfect alignment.

YES, you should use RED Loctite on the flywheel bolts. I use it on the pressure plate bolts as well.

Once everything is aligned, the engine and trans should come together with little fuss. On a couple occasions I did bring them together flush by tightening the bolts, but that was only because I didnt clean up the aligment dowels good enough, not because the input shaft wasn't aligned with the disc/pilot bearing. We are talking a matter of 2-3mm here though.

Check the alignment of the disc. Clean the alignment dowels on the engine, clean the bell housing-to-engine threaded studs, and retry.

Good luck,
adam
snoopyone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
darksc00by
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102140
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Marston Science Library
Vehicle:
2015 yoga pants
creepin' is life

Default

+1 for disc alignment, did you use the alignment tool that centers the disc perfectly?
darksc00by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
chevybelly
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 205148
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
97 OBS
Green/Tan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyone8 View Post
Not sure what car you have, or what trans, but this info should apply to all MT's.
Yes, there is an alignment tool for the clutch disc, not the pressure plate. You must align/center the clutch disc with the pilot bearing in the center of the flywheel before you tighten/lock it down with the pressure plate. Once the disc is aligned properly, you can tighten the pressure plate and it will hold it centered. I do not have an alightment tool (and couldnt find one), so I used (hold on for this one) a sharpie and some duct tape...worked perfectly. The sharpie fits perfect in the pilot bearing and I just wrapped/built up enough tape on the sharpie to hold the clutch disc centered. Tightened the pressure plate bolts and viola, perfect alignment.

YES, you should use RED Loctite on the flywheel bolts. I use it on the pressure plate bolts as well.

Once everything is aligned, the engine and trans should come together with little fuss. On a couple occasions I did bring them together flush by tightening the bolts, but that was only because I didnt clean up the aligment dowels good enough, not because the input shaft wasn't aligned with the disc/pilot bearing. We are talking a matter of 2-3mm here though.

Check the alignment of the disc. Clean the alignment dowels on the engine, clean the bell housing-to-engine threaded studs, and retry.

Good luck,
adam
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksc00by View Post
+1 for disc alignment, did you use the alignment tool that centers the disc perfectly?
Well thanky you both. I didnt think it was that crucial. I ( dont read on if you are going to think im a dumb arse) stuck my finger in the hole once the pressure plate was tight and it felt like it was centered, LOL Well, I guess ill have to pay tha $31 to Napa for the universal tool and try that
chevybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
reddevil
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 64673
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: portland
Vehicle:
1990 Legacy wagon
goes 12.387 @ 116.5

Default

Don't pay $31!!!!! Go somewhere else and pay $5.

Trick to attaching tranny. Not really a trick, but what you should do....

UNBOLT the dogbone (tranny to body bolt). This lets the tranny move. Then jack the tranny up about 2-3". The motor and tranny need to be PARALLEL to each other to slide together.

Once "on" you can use the bolts and nuts to pull them fully together if needed. Don't force it.


As for the clutch to flywheel bolts.... Because A- you will break them off, B- The pressure plate acts like a giant lock washer. Make sure you tighten these bolts down a little each at a time so as not to give one side more pressure than the other, ie work the pressure plate down to the flywheel before torquing....
reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
snoopyone8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 42970
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut USA
Vehicle:
1998 2.5RS BlkDmdPrl
2000 2.5RS SilverthornMet

Default

You are no dumb ass, you are just trying and learning, thats all. I give you credit for actually tackling the project. We all have to start somewhere, and we all need help sometime...you have come to the right place!!! Great people, loads of experience and knowledge, and most importantly...we love helping each other!!! THAT IS HOW PEOPLE LEARN AND PASS IT ON TO THE NEXT GUY!!!

The universal tool will prob work, i checked them out when i couldnt get a Scooby one from the dealer. Declined 'cause honestly, the Sharpie worked great!!!

1)Put the back "non writing end" in the flywheel pilot bearing.
2)Start wrapping duct tape around the pen in the general area that the clutch disc will ride.
3)Once you have enough to hold the disc straight/true, put the whole assy (sharpie/disc) up against the flywheel with the back of the sharpie in the flywheel pilot bearing.
4)install and tighten pressure plate
5)pull out ghetto aligment tool and you are good to go

-adam
snoopyone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
snoopyone8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 42970
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut USA
Vehicle:
1998 2.5RS BlkDmdPrl
2000 2.5RS SilverthornMet

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevil View Post
Don't pay $31!!!!! Go somewhere else and pay $5.

Trick to attaching tranny. Not really a trick, but what you should do....

UNBOLT the dogbone (tranny to body bolt). This lets the tranny move. Then jack the tranny up about 2-3". The motor and tranny need to be PARALLEL to each other to slide together.

Once "on" you can use the bolts and nuts to pull them fully together if needed. Don't force it.


As for the clutch to flywheel bolts.... Because A- you will break them off, B- The pressure plate acts like a giant lock washer. Make sure you tighten these bolts down a little each at a time so as not to give one side more pressure than the other, ie work the pressure plate down to the flywheel before torquing....
+1, good info Red!!

-adam
snoopyone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
chevybelly
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 205148
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
97 OBS
Green/Tan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevil View Post
Don't pay $31!!!!! Go somewhere else and pay $5.

Trick to attaching tranny. Not really a trick, but what you should do....

UNBOLT the dogbone (tranny to body bolt). This lets the tranny move. Then jack the tranny up about 2-3". The motor and tranny need to be PARALLEL to each other to slide together.
I tried, Advance Auto, Auto Zone and Napa is the only one who has it. Dealer wouldnt even get me one. I think I might try the sharpie first. If that doesnt work, ill be forced to get one


Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyone8 View Post
You are no dumb ass, you are just trying and learning, thats all. I give you credit for actually tackling the project. We all have to start somewhere, and we all need help sometime...you have come to the right place!!! Great people, loads of experience and knowledge, and most importantly...we love helping each other!!! THAT IS HOW PEOPLE LEARN AND PASS IT ON TO THE NEXT GUY!!!
Thanks Adam for the encouragement I am restoring a chevy nova as a first time project and havent even had to go through this headache. It started out as a exhaust manifold gasket replacement that went really bad. Then it turned into a head removal project that got even worse. The last head bolt was rusted in the block, so the engine had to come out for machine work

Owned the car for 1 month and was so damn happy with it. Me and my son sat in it and played with every gadget while he climed through the seats. Now......im like wtf!!

But thank you guys for being there for me. You dont know how comforting these responses are! Especially for a first timer. Ill get on that sharpie tool today!
chevybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
chevybelly
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 205148
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
97 OBS
Green/Tan

Default I did it!

sharpie tool worked great! But I think it was centered the first time just as good. I used the red loctite on the pressure plate bolts anyways. I figured out the problem though. It was the plastic flywheel shield at the bottom of the engine preventing the two to fully seat.

I should of took a picture of my ghetto garage I made out of a tarp. Its been raining since wednesday, and the weekend looks the same.


Thanks for the help

Gary
chevybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
snoopyone8
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 42970
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut USA
Vehicle:
1998 2.5RS BlkDmdPrl
2000 2.5RS SilverthornMet

Default

Glad to hear it finally came together Gary! Well done!
cheers,
-adam
snoopyone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP PLEASE check engine code P0122 TPS but is acting really weird felixwankel88 Service & Maintenance 2 11-03-2011 09:29 AM
Help please. Intermittent engine bay noise. biggitybakes Service & Maintenance 7 11-26-2008 11:23 AM
help please check engine light?? subaru power Electrical & Lighting 3 11-12-2008 06:49 AM
Stabbing Engine To Tranny Help. dukeduster Built Motor Discussion 3 11-22-2007 08:43 AM
Engine to tranny torque Lachlan Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 4 12-04-2005 10:04 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2015, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.