Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday November 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
lightpost12
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 76188
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

Default Tire Wear & Rec

Hey All,

I have some Falkon FK 452's that are showing some wear on the inside of the front 2 tires.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39577902@N02/?saved=1

I have 2 questions:

(1) For standard driving conditions (no racing, city driving) is 30,000 miles on these tires about normal for replacement timing?

(2) Do they have to be replaced or would a rotation buy me some time?

(3) Can someone recommend a tire they're happy with for gas economy and city driving? The Falkon's are great, but I don't utilize them to their full potential and just feel the gas money shooting out of my pocket. I like to play around with the turbo's and drive pretty fast, but I never hit the track or anything.

Also, I have the Rota Torque 17" black rims, so that might limit me to what I can fit for tires.

Thanks all!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by lightpost12; 06-18-2009 at 08:43 PM.
lightpost12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Gleep
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 204203
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2009 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightpost12 View Post
(1) For standard driving conditions (no racing, city driving) is 30,000 miles on these tires about normal for replacement timing?

1.) Uneven tire wear means you need an alignment.

2.) You need new tires period. Even with even wear it looks like you're due for new tires.

So get some new rubber and then get an alignment. It sounds like you have different requirements for your tires than I do so my tire recommendations would be worthless.
Gleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Kean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25187
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

....some wear? ....seriously? You're asking for trouble driving on those tires. .....you can see the cords for Pete's sake.

You're beyond a tire rotation (you need new ones). ....and an alignment since that wear could be indicative of too much "toe out". You need them to "zero" the toe on all four corners. Also, make sure you replace all 4 tires. ....don't skimp and just get two.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Luke@tirerack
Tire Rack Moderator

Member#: 1215
Vehicle:
800 -428-8355
ext. 4362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kean View Post
You're beyond a tire rotation (you need new ones). ....and an alignment since that wear could be indicative of too much "toe out". You need them to "zero" the toe on all four corners. Also, make sure you replace all 4 tires. ....don't skimp and just get two.
agreed ... and also make sure the camber is correct
Luke@tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
lightpost12
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

Default Bridgestones?

I got a recommendation today to go with Bridgestone Potenza 215/45R/17XL with my Torque Rota 17" Rims. I'm looking for a tire for city driving and a little of fun every now and then. Hoping that it can handle some dirt roads and whatever else you get on the occasional road trip.

Do you guys think this is a good rec for what I'm looking for? Any other suggestions?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
Hey All,

I have some Falkon FK 452's that are showing some wear on the inside of the front 2 tires.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39577902@N02/?saved=1

I have 2 questions:

(3) Can someone recommend a tire they're happy with for gas economy and city driving? The Falkon's are great, but I don't utilize them to their full potential and just feel the gas money shooting out of my pocket. I like to play around with the turbo's and drive pretty fast, but I never hit the track or anything.

Also, I have the Rota Torque 17" black rims, so that might limit me to what I can fit for tires.

Thanks all!

your alignment is BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

toe needs to be '0' or as close as possible

tire pressure is FAR more important to 'economy' than the tire itself

try 40psi

and STOP this whole line of thought.....as it is just silly
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
I got a recommendation today to go with Bridgestone Potenza 215/45R/17XL
the above is as meaningless as it is wasted bandwidth

the above tells us you are gonna buy asswipe......

you go to the store and buy asswipe

did you buy charmin or whitecloud????
Old 06-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
Kean
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

....in other words, the "Potenza" line consists of many models & variants (i.e. RE960, RE050, RE-11, RE760, S-03, RE92, blah, blah, blah.).
Old 06-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kean View Post
....in other words, the "Potenza" line consists of many models & variants (i.e. RE960, RE050, RE-11, RE760, S-03, RE92, blah, blah, blah.).
AAAAAWWWWW....damn d000000d

there ya went and made too easy for Einstein there to figure out
Old 06-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
Kean
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

....I know spoon feeding is a pet peeve of yours but I couldn't help myself. I guess I'm just a softy.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:45 PM   #11
lightpost12
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

Default Ha

Sorry,

I forgot to mention what type of Potenzas (or ass wipe) I was buying. I've been so wrapped up in this tire world I forgot you guys haven't been living and breathing this agonizing decision in my head. I was thinking about buying the Potenzas RE960 Pole Position 225/45/17. They sounded like great tires from what I read online. I ended up getting convinced at the shop to buy Eagle F1 All-Season tires. I checked on the forums at the shop and read a little about the noise complaints after 10k, but the guy was really convincing that the side walls with carbon fiber are way stiffer and would corner better plus there was a huge price difference from Potenzas at $827 and Goodyear F1's at $648 (both out the door prices).

I have a slight fear I made the wrong choice. Did I just buy some one ply ass wipe or what? The tire rack reviews and nasioc forum really seemed to waver back and forth. Anyone happy with these? Or if you just want to get angry and make some fun, this would be a good time to do so. I really don't care