Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 28, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
boostedballs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 164977
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy SS
black

Default 4EAT Torque Bind, Fuse does not activate FWD; where is solenoid?

The car: 1997 Legacy GT, 4EAT 177K miles.

Torque bind big time (I've had torque bind in other Subies but nothing like this) this is severe.

I installed the fuse over the right front fender but it does nothing. I am guessing that the solenoid that controls the AWD has burnt open. I checked the wire harness to the trans for pulled pins and corrosion. Looks fine.

I want to replace the solenoid myself. I won't even let another "mechanic" change my oil; I'm just anal like that.

Does anyone have a photo or just a good description of where this solenoid is? I assume it will be attached to the valve body but do I need to remove the valve body or did Subaru locate it in an easily accessible location?

Also, I have a 4EAT that works perfectly from a 91 Legacy SS, I think the final drive ratio for both is 3.9; can I swap that one into the 97 GT?

Also (again) If I were to go with the "GM limited slip additive route", how much should I add?

Thanks!!!!
boostedballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
Subieformance_Guy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 108716
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2004 2.1L, PT 6069
480@30psi Subarus-R-Us

That'd be the transfer clutch solenoid in the tailshaft of the tranny. Ive seen them so bad that the fuse dosnt do anything kinda like whats going on with yours right now. If you pull the tailshaft off there will be one connector. Disconnect that and the solenoids on the tailshaft held on by a couple 10mm bolts.
Subieformance_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
boostedballs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 164977
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy SS
black

Cool

Sweet, I'll give that a shot!
boostedballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
87GL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 103350

Hey guys, I've got the same problem: torque bind and the FWD fuse doesn't change the situation. On a sidenote, I couldn't get the "handshake" to work either(to show a trouble code). On another sidenote, I haven't checked the tires for equal circumference.

But in the mean time, can anyone give me more details on changing out the C solenoid? E.g. how do I take off the tailshaft and what does the C solenoid look like?

Thanks,
Andy
87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
87GL
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 103350

Based on some more research, I need to:
1. Remove rear driveshaft
2. Remove exhaust system after catytic converter
3. Remove "tail" of transmission
4. Change solenoid...is there a way to test it? I assume I just need to test for an "open" condition which would confirm it's faulty.

Thanks,
Andy
87GL is offline   Reply With Quote