Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
TWR3CKS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 194277
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
wrb

Default A/c compressor install

Hey guys I'm going to be doing an install on a new compressor today and stayed up all night lastnight trying to find a thread for a " how to". I couldn't find one so if anyone could help out with some knowlege or maybe a link, that would be great. Thanks again for any help.
TWR3CKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
jonman24680
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 215225
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
1995 Impreza 1.8L L
Blue

A little more info is needed... Year? Car? Model? Engine size?
Also is the a AC compressor replacement? Or you decided it is hot this summer and need AC in your car?

Last edited by jonman24680; 07-08-2009 at 01:32 PM.
jonman24680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
TWR3CKS
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 wrx
wrb

I have an 02 wrx. There is a compressor on it already but I had it tested and it's bad and there was a leak in the hose that goes from the compressor to the condensor. So I bought a new compressor and a new hose. The compressor that is on the car is already empty so I don't have to worry about the freon part. And after looking at the new compressor it looks like there is only the plug do disconnect and the bolts that attach it to the alternator. If that's all the is to it then great sounds like a pretty easy install. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any little details that would be important to know. After I install it I'm going to have a shop install the freon.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
jonman24680
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 Impreza 1.8L L
Blue

How did they determine if your compressor was bad if no freon was in there?
As far as I know you have to have freon there in order to see if it is working. Did you buy the part from the people saying it was bad?
Old 07-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
TWR3CKS
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 wrx
wrb

No I I knew I had a leak in the system somewhere so I went up to the shop to get it checked out and there was a leak that you can see on the hose I was talking about. But in the mean time you could see that the compressor would have a hard time turning. So I bought one on here from a guy that was parting out his car. I'm actually in the middle of doing the install but I'm having a hard time getting the bolt on the back of the compressor, under the manifold. You got to be able to get that without taking off the manifold.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
TWR3CKS
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 wrx
wrb

well if anyone ends up reading this, I had a hard time getting to the damn bolt that's right under the manifold. But I was having a hard time finding tools in my parants garage so I pretty much said f'it and paid my buddies shop to install it. Haha there dedinately needs to be a "how to" thread started so there could some good info on how to's.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
jonman24680
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 Impreza 1.8L L
Blue

Oh, I know which bolt you were going for. You need to use a universal joint. that lets you get right in there. (like $3 at Lowes)