Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Foxhound
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 170336
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
06 Impreza 2.5i
CGM

Default Inquiring about tranny oil capacity?

Hello, I own an 06 Subaru Impreza 2.5i and it just hit 33k miles and I wanted to do the checkup myself, rather than pay $600. Anywho, I called Subaru Specialties to ask them about the spark-plugs, and they said my car should have platinum and that they should not be replaced until 60k, just like my turbo-charged cousin.

Well, scratch that off the list, next I moved onto the Transmission Oil. I drained what seemed to be around 1.5 gallons of it out and boy was it disgusting. I bought 5 quarts of Subaru ATF HP and filled her up while she was hot, and then moved on to my front differential.

Filled her up with 1.3 quarts of Valvoline 75w90 GL-5. Car starts up without a hitch and works just fine, but sometimes when the gear changes on it (its an automatic) it will jump or feel harsh, I dunno how to explain it. Maybe it's because I have no idea if 1.3 quarts of front differential Fluid is enough?

Well, here is my question and the sole reason I started this thread: What is the capacity of my Front Differential (AT) on the 06 2.5i? I have heard 1.3 quarts on this
and Shaver Subaru told me 3 quarts, but I am not going to trust them, b/c a lot of times, dealerships dunno wtf theyre talking about.

So, can anyone please comment? Is this feeling just part of the "work in" process?

Last edited by Foxhound; 07-10-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Foxhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
Foxhound
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
06 Impreza 2.5i
CGM

So I drove it again later in the day and the problem seems to have stopped, then again I only drove about 5 miles collectively. Again, the problem was subtle, I would still like to see how much my differential capacity is...

... anyone?
Old 07-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Unabomber
Big Ron
Super Moderator

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Open and read your owner's manual, I hope you still have it. If not, fill check fill check fill check fill check is what you do.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
vvt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 216481
Vehicle:
1999 Impreza Outback
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
Open and read your owner's manual, I hope you still have it. If not, fill check fill check fill check fill check is what you do.
Thats how I've always done it!
vvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Foxhound
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
06 Impreza 2.5i
CGM

Hmm... I put 1.5 quarts in and it seems to show full on my dipstick (front differential) but I am still wondering why the subaru parts dept guy told me 3 quarts, is he just clueless?
Old 07-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
Baay
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 139645
Vehicle:
07 WRX
UGM

3-ish Q is for the 5MT (well its actually listed as 3.7Q)

for the Auto, 1.5Q is fine. The service manual for the ATF just says to fill the same amount you drained out. Wonderfully specific
Baay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:54 AM   #7
Horkus
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 112667
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
WRB

what ever comes out, measure it and put that amount back in.
Tranny don't lose oil.
Horkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
Foxhound
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
06 Impreza 2.5i
CGM

Meh... cant measure what I threw away already. SO far everything seems to be working fine, cept car makes an odd noise when in Reverse. I might take it in just to have that checked out, otherwise... tip top shape