Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday January 31, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
The Minx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 210214
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
08 Impreza 2.5i
DGM with a hint of dirt

Default Tire Discoloration

I've noticed that my tires on my stock 2.5i (`08) have some discoloration around the sidewall / tread area. It's not consistent, kinda patchy, and I'm not sure exactly what that means in terms of if I'm driving too spirited for the stock tires or what. I normally drive 70-75 on the highways around Philly as this is my dd. I'll try to post a picture later today. Has anyone seen something like this before and should I be looking to replace my tires?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
The Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Sedan SGM
Let LED's light your way!

Does it look brown?

The discoloration is probably due to accumulated tire shine, especially from the dealer, and dirt and stuff.

Seriously though, do you clean the wheels and tires and what do you use?

If you feel that the tires should be looked at, go to a reputable tire shop, not the dealer. The dealer sold you the car, they did not build it. Subaru built the car, but did not manufacture the tires.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
The Minx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
08 Impreza 2.5i
DGM with a hint of dirt

Kinda a brown-blackish color. I haven't cleaned them yet and the last time I was in to the dealer for servicing they didn't mention anything, I just started to notice it.

I must admit that when I was looking at them closer, it almost looks like my tires were rubbing against something which caused the coloration, in which case I'm a dumbass.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
The Minx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
08 Impreza 2.5i
DGM with a hint of dirt

the second tha third are the same tire, here's a third. the fourth didn't come out so well where I parked with the sun and shade

Old 07-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
ZoneMaster
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 215979
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited

I would bet it's just from rubbing on curbs with a little bit of road crap for flavor. I'd try hitting it with some tire cleaner/conditioner and see if that doesn't help it.

-Cory
ZoneMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
The Minx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
08 Impreza 2.5i
DGM with a hint of dirt

will do.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
Kean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25187
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

....judging by how dirty the wheels & tires are I would say (frankly) they just look like they need a good, thorough cleaning. Either way that discoloration could be caused by one or a combination of things (curbing, old tire dressing, mud, blooming from antiozonants, road grime, etc.).

btw, do you check your tire pressure regularly (nothing to do with the coloring, just an observation).
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
The Minx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
08 Impreza 2.5i
DGM with a hint of dirt

yeah I check them about once a month