Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-30-2002, 07:32 PM   #1
racerwad
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 2564
Question wastegate control questions for TT

ok, so i was wondering if any of the standalone ECU's have the ability to control two wastegates? i contacted AMR and they said that while the link does not have this ability, it should be possible to have one solenoid control two wastegates. this sounds like a good idea to me. does anyone know if this could work? for all intents and purposes, it should work. can anyone think of why it wouldn't? thanks.

andy
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
racerwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 07:38 PM   #2
kastle
Frank Army

Member#: 1457
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
1999 Outback Sport
Steel Blue Mica

In theory, when I had the TT setup on my RS, Shiv and I figured that the TEC-II could control both of the wastegates. We never did get a chance to play with it....
kastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 07:55 PM   #3
SubbyRS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 17193
Vehicle:
1991 Legacy RS
White

I presume you're talking parallel turbos (like Skyline GT-R) & not sequential (like Legacy TT or Mazda RX-7)??

I could imagine one solenoid controlling 2 wastegates in parallel, but it'd be trickier getting 2 sequential wastegates controlled....
SubbyRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 08:11 PM   #4
racerwad
Scooby Newbie

Default ought to work, right?

kastle-

you're the one person i was hoping could response. i know that you were never really able to get the car running the way you would've liked; however, could you clarify how your wastegates were controlled? were they both controlled by the same solenoid? also, once you have a twin TB setup, will the TEC-II(or III) be able to control two TPS sensors?

subbyrs-

the turbos are definately in parallel. i couldn't even imagine the hassle of trying to home engineer a sequential setup!
Old 04-30-2002, 08:28 PM   #5
kastle
Frank Army

Member#: 1457
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
1999 Outback Sport
Steel Blue Mica

They were being controlled by the internal wastegate settings... So, at that time, we weren't using the boost solenoid at that time. The plan was to use the TEC-II to control it over the wastegate settings, since we didn't think we could install 2 Tial's due to space contraints.

Also, it's not a great idea to have the solenoid (GPO settings) control all the boost (no wastegate spring) since it makes a lot of noise (according to Shiv) when activated (ie, more activity = more noise).

I won't be doing anything further with the TT setup since I have given it back to Robert to allow him to further tweak the prototype and get it into production. I didn't give that much though (twin TPS's), but that's a really good question.

Last edited by kastle; 04-30-2002 at 11:00 PM.
kastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 08:42 PM   #6
racerwad
Scooby Newbie

the two TB with the doubling of all the associated hardware and software was the main reason i was skeptical of the dual TB idea. if it were possible to do the engineering properly (and by no means do i think FAT isn't able!) then the dual TB solution would be a fairly elegant one. i don't think it's really going to work though at controlling the turbos from overboosting one another. i think what the setup needs is either a larger intercooler or some sort of plenum that can be pressurized before the charge reaches the TB. that way the pressure differentials can be equalized (if not completely, then to a greater extent) by the volume of a larger intercooler or plenum. you'd lose some boost, but gain a TT.

i for one am willing to deal with the increased noise of a solenoid controlled wastegate versus depending on the vagrancies of individual springs on each wastegate to control overboost. just my .02 cents.

andy