Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
BrunoShield
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 155944
Vehicle:
2003 Baja
Black Granite Pearl

Default Well, not a new Baja owner, but a new Subaru owner!

A good friend in New Mexico was looking to replace his MR2 with something that could actually drive in snow. I suggested a Subaru. He located an '08 WRX, brand new, in Durrango. Much wheeling and dealing later he signed the papers yesterday. Less than 100 miles on it. The dealership actually had to jump the battery to allow him to test drive it, it had been sitting that long! He was going to take the $22.5 offer, but I figured he could get it for less than that and he low balled them. $18 k out the door, period. Hey, it was already 2 model years old and not getting any younger!

The dealership held out for a day and then caved! He walked out the door for $18k flat! Title, license, tax and all! He picks it up tomorrow.

I keep trying to tell him how much he's going to enjoy it, but he has no clue yet. I can't wait to hear back from him the first time he plows through a foot of fresh powder in the mountains, or drives through a torrental downpour in the dessert at 60mph, with the AC on, and laughing at the weather.

He wanted a new Baja, he could have used the mini-bed, but since Subaru got silly and dropped our beloved cruck, no such luck. Still a new Subaru owner is a new owner.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BrunoShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Flowmastered87GL
WCSS Drunk

Member#: 8914
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Sport
Regal Blue Pearl

wow if the dealer woulda had a brain I bet they coulda sold it for more on e-bay. Yes its an old car, but since the baja can be hard to come by, in places like the northwest where they are in more demand it would sell. (for example if my baja got totaled or something I would want a suitable replacement... well it would be impossible to be the original owner of a used car so this would be the only way) Not sure the insurance co would see it this way but I am anal
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
boostedte37
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 184705
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
05 baja sport auto
grey/silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowmastered87GL View Post
wow if the dealer woulda had a brain I bet they coulda sold it for more on e-bay. Yes its an old car, but since the baja can be hard to come by, in places like the northwest where they are in more demand it would sell. (for example if my baja got totaled or something I would want a suitable replacement... well it would be impossible to be the original owner of a used car so this would be the only way) Not sure the insurance co would see it this way but I am anal
boostedte37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
weiVA
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 72942
Vehicle:
2005 Baja T
Atl Blue Pearl

Have your friend change out the engine oil at least -- regular oil will degrade over time.
weiVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
BrunoShield
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 155944
Vehicle:
2003 Baja
Black Granite Pearl

I've already warned him that fluid changes were MANDITORY on Subarus. The dealer is changing all the fluids, they say, before he picks it up. I'm not sure how much of that I would trust. Any dealer that still has a brand new '08 WRX on the lot is doing something wrong. I've steered him to this site so he might show up in the WRX forum soon enough.

After driving his first gen MR2 for the last 15 years he's going to be surprised to drive something that handles and drives at 80 mph like a REAL car and not some high strung, twitchy sports car. He's also retiring his '88 Toyota pickup that can't reach highway speeds anymore. Yeah, he tends to hang onto things for a very long time! I think the WRX will outlast him however.
BrunoShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
weiVA
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 72942
Vehicle:
2005 Baja T
Atl Blue Pearl

Agreed, I don't know if I could trust them to change the fluid. All those fluids would look clear to the naked eye. Have him either watch it done (shouldn't be more than an hour) or have him mark with a marker all the drain plugs (likelihood of threading back to the same exact spot is small).
weiVA is offline   Reply With Quote