Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 14, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #876
NoNRG
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 258437
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX 5-Door
Blue Mica

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsn112 View Post
Looks good all but need to do the third brake light. Looks wierd without it IMO
Can you give a quick run down on how to remove the top light? Just did my tail lights today.

Looks good everyone.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
NoNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #877
thildwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303531
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Redding, Northern California
Vehicle:
12 Subaru WRX
White

Default

You mean the 3rd brake light? If so there are 2 caps that you take off from the outside and there are Philips screws underneath. However it's hard wired from what I saw and didn't attempt to remove.
thildwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #878
SmartMart
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348584
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: South Shore
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch

Default

As a few people here have expressed.. they have had issues removing their inner hatch liners. Anyone have any idea if it would be easier to remove the inner vertical plastic runners then the large base hatch liner? (how)?

I've been able to pull out all the front(open)/bottom(trunk closed) pins, but the entire area closest to the window is giving me some trouble. Just worried I'm going to snap the piece in half as it seems to be restricted by the vertical runners of the hatch lining.

Any help/advice/ first hand experience anybody has would be much appreciated. Feel free to PM/reply here.
Thanks!
-Kevin
edit: Just have a few beers, try removing the side runner rails inside the trunk first, then just start trying to rip the thing off. A man on a mission can get anything done.

Last edited by SmartMart; 04-17-2013 at 11:46 PM.
SmartMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #879
WilR
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 343078
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatchback
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thildwrx View Post
You mean the 3rd brake light? If so there are 2 caps that you take off from the outside and there are Philips screws underneath. However it's hard wired from what I saw and didn't attempt to remove.
I snipped the wires, painted the light and soldered the wire back together and covered with heat wrap. Works fine. Without removing the entire wing, I don't think it's possible to remove otherwise because it is weather sealed on each end.

Last edited by WilR; 04-18-2013 at 08:21 AM.
WilR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #880
WilR
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 343078
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatchback
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNRG View Post

Can you give a quick run down on how to remove the top light? Just did my tail lights today.

Looks good everyone.
It is pretty simple, just remove the two plastic covers on the bottom side of the third brake light and it will expose 2 Phillips head screws. Because of the extremely tight space I didn't have a Phillips head screw driver that would fit between the glass and screw. I used a Phillips head screwdriver bit place into a small 1/4" socket and was able to remove the screws. Be prepared to snip the wires if you want only remove the 3rd brake light. It is weather sealed in both ends of the connectors.
WilR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #881
dsn112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332561
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilR View Post

It is pretty simple, just remove the two plastic covers on the bottom side of the third brake light and it will expose 2 Phillips head screws. Because of the extremely tight space I didn't have a Phillips head screw driver that would fit between the glass and screw. I used a Phillips head screwdriver bit place into a small 1/4" socket and was able to remove the screws. Be prepared to snip the wires if you want only remove the 3rd brake light. It is weather sealed in both ends of the connectors.
Would be much easier to use laminx as an overlay, that piece is super easy to cover. Then you don't have to snip anything, which to me is retarded.
dsn112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #882
WilR
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 343078
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatchback
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsn112 View Post

Would be much easier to use laminx as an overlay, that piece is super easy to cover. Then you don't have to snip anything, which to me is retarded.
Painting everything else and overlay only the third brake light is retarded to me.

snipping and soldering it back together is a 3 minute task.
WilR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #883
dsn112
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 332561
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilR View Post

Painting everything else and overlay only the third brake light is retarded to me.

snipping and soldering it back together is a 3 minute task.
Why, nobody would notice and its like $3 in material. It's not the point that you are capable of putting it back together, its the fact that you are ruining an oem connection for nothing. Would take 2 seconds to overlay the brake light. But hey, I overlayed everything
dsn112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #884
thebanker
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 338070
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Dorne
Vehicle:
2013 Oberyn
shot first

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMart View Post
As a few people here have expressed.. they have had issues removing their inner hatch liners. Anyone have any idea if it would be easier to remove the inner vertical plastic runners then the large base hatch liner? (how)?

I've been able to pull out all the front(open)/bottom(trunk closed) pins, but the entire area closest to the window is giving me some trouble. Just worried I'm going to snap the piece in half as it seems to be restricted by the vertical runners of the hatch lining.

Any help/advice/ first hand experience anybody has would be much appreciated. Feel free to PM/reply here.
Thanks!
-Kevin
edit: Just have a few beers, try removing the side runner rails inside the trunk first, then just start trying to rip the thing off. A man on a mission can get anything done.
If you're really clever, you can get the taillight out without fully removing the inner hatch panel. You can sorta... bend the panel out in the middle, and slide a 10mm hex wrench up in there, and if you can find the bolt, you can get it out of there.

Of course I figured this out after I already pulled the dang thing off completely. The toughest part of putting it back together is aligning the side tabs that hook into the D-pillar parts on the hatch.
thebanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #885
thebanker
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 338070
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Dorne
Vehicle:
2013 Oberyn
shot first

Default

For the guys that did this a few years ago, and DID clearcoat the lights, how are they holding up?

I clearcoated mine (about 4 coats) and I synth waxed them a couple times to really protect it. I'm wondering what else I can do to prevent fading. California sun is pretty strong.
thebanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #886
SmartMart
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348584
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: South Shore
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch

Default

I just did my own version of this mod today. Possibly considering doing my own smaller write-up with updated products and a few added methods everyone has seemed to be able to 'agree' upon through the 36 pages of madness so far. Currently letting the lights cure overnight. Hoping they turn out okay.

Very interested in fading/ weathering of this particular method though.
ANYONE with any "1 YEAR AFTER" pictures should post them for anyone who wants to do this mod!!
SmartMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:30 AM   #887
Trunx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 341122
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2013 wrx
dgm

Default

Besides fading with the taillights. Anyone on here have fading after retrofitting the headlights? I know it's off topic but I've noticed a few people sprayed the chrome headlights black
Trunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #888
jerz_subbie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 221589
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte, NC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX hatch
DGM

Default

Did this mod last weekend after failing with vinyls; The vinyls were MUCH tougher than on my 06. The heavy final coat of clear really helped give a smooth, vinyl-like finish. I didn't wet sand as I've never done it before and was scared to mess anything up.

VHT Night Shades (4 medium coats)
Rustoleum Clear (3 coats followed by 1 very heavy coat)


jerz_subbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #889
Tomnompom
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 343232
Join Date: Jan 2013
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5DR
DGM

Default

I painted mine around Oct 2011, first time I did it I sprayed 3 coats of krylon paint and clear. Did the whole waxing thing too. It faded after two months in South Texas. I stripped and redid them with vht and some Walmart clear. It's held up as good as the first day, been almost a year and a half in Texas.
Tomnompom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #890
jester8798
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 277915
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MI
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Premium
SWP, TP Stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomnompom View Post
I painted mine around Oct 2011, first time I did it I sprayed 3 coats of krylon paint and clear. Did the whole waxing thing too. It faded after two months in South Texas. I stripped and redid them with vht and some Walmart clear. It's held up as good as the first day, been almost a year and a half in Texas.
I'll agree here, except my first attempt with Duplicolor Metalcast and Rustoleum clear and they faded after a year. It's not nearly as sunny in MI! Second round with VHT and Krylon clear is holding up pretty well.
jester8798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #891
07 Boosty
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 329069
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
WRB

Default

Did mine this past weekend. Came out pretty good.

07 Boosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #892
turbogc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 26540
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Bryant, AL
Vehicle:
2001 Turbo GC8 sold
2013 DGM WRX Hatch

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester8798 View Post
I'll agree here, except my first attempt with Duplicolor Metalcast and Rustoleum clear and they faded after a year. It's not nearly as sunny in MI! Second round with VHT and Krylon clear is holding up pretty well.
If you don't mind, exactly which krylon clear did you use?
turbogc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #893
turbogc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 26540
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Bryant, AL
Vehicle:
2001 Turbo GC8 sold
2013 DGM WRX Hatch

Default

Never mind, I actually took the time and read through the thread. Krylon fuzion. Sorry for the earlier laziness. It happens to the best of us.
turbogc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #894
mckinnon99879
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314199
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
ISM

Default

looks awesome!!!! this is what i needed, ****ing overlays suck....
mckinnon99879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #895
jdmfreeak yo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325543
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 wrx
wrb

Default

Looks great!!
jdmfreeak yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #896
mckinnon99879
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314199
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
ISM

Default

okay guys so what clear coat has proved to be the best and most lasting? Anyone have any long lasting clear coats??
mckinnon99879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #897
mmfullen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 236685
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Hampton, VA
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy GT
OBP

Default

I found a can of nasin brand...not common and you probably have to order it. If you use the vht red, and duplicolor clear coat...it works great too. Mine still look like they did when I repainted them.
mmfullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #898
jerz_subbie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 221589
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Charlotte, NC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinnon99879 View Post
okay guys so what clear coat has proved to be the best and most lasting? Anyone have any long lasting clear coats??
If you read through the entire thread, as I did, you'll find that lacquer clears, like Rustoleum, work very well.
jerz_subbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #899
mckinnon99879
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314199
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerz_subbie View Post
If you read through the entire thread, as I did, you'll find that lacquer clears, like Rustoleum, work very well.
Would that be the rustoleum clear enamel that you're talking about, ive never seen a lacquer from rustoleum
mckinnon99879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #900
yambeezy23
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347347
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: alaska
Vehicle:
2013 Wrx Hatchback
silver

Default

I just smoked out my taillights last night! came out amazing when I let them cure overnight. This morning I put everything back together except.. the inner hatch panel!!! Ive been working on it for about 30 minutes till I just quit lol.

Im going to try again after work, any tips on how to put back the inner hatch panel?
yambeezy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New! Clear Tail Light Mod... WRX Rally Style Subie Gal Member's Car Gallery 33 03-15-2011 07:08 AM
2009 WRX fog light mod Andrey Electrical & Lighting 8 04-24-2010 05:43 AM
WTT: my06 sti taillight for you 05 sti/wrx tail light + $20, local swap only, (FL) yenny Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 2 08-02-2009 01:39 AM
WTT 2006 WRX tail lights for 2005 WRX tail lights SCRAPPYDO TXIC Private Classifieds 4 12-04-2006 01:01 AM
WTT 2006 WRX tail lights for 2005 WRX tail lights flymordecai TXIC Private Classifieds 1 11-23-2006 01:07 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.