Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Harenil
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 93071
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
1995 Impreza L EJ22G
(Hybrid EJ22T/EG20G)

Default Weird issue after latest build.

So I just put ej20G heads on my ej22t shortblock. It ran great for about 5 minutes. I turned it off, decided everything was good for now. Came back a few minutes later, patched up a couple things (straightened out my steering wheel, zip tied some lines and then checked my ECU codes, which I got quite a few. I tried starting it up, and it didn't start because I was in diagnostic mode. So I unplugged the connectors for diagnostic mode and tried to start the car again. It took a while to start, and started running extremely rich and seems like it's misfiring. Light smoke is coming out the tail pipe like crazy, and the whole area smells like unburnt fuel. My wideband gives me crazy low afrs, like < 10. I can't figure out why this happened when everything was running perfectly right before then. The codes I got are:

23 - MAF/MAF circuit
24 - IAC/IAC circuit
14 - Injector 1
15 - Injector 2
16 - Injector 3
17 - Injector 4.

My first thought was I blew a main fuse, but those all checked out. I'm pretty sure it's not a blown ring land, as there was no smoke coming out of my oil fill cap. The the injectors were working before, and I doubt they'd die all at once anyway, along with the MAF, and IAC.

Anyway, I started it up on a tank of gas that has been in there for more than a month. The tank is almost empty, could this have something to do with it?

My other thought was the turbo, I put in a used VF39 with low miles, I figured it could be leaking coolant, thus the light colored smoke, but that doesn't explain it running extremely rich, or how the problem came on so suddenly.

Any other ideas? This is my second engine build, so I highly doubt I screwed up the headgaskets... Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Harenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Harenil
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 93071
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
1995 Impreza L EJ22G
(Hybrid EJ22T/EG20G)

So, UPDATE.

Map was still in there, not the problem. I drove it to the gas station, smoking and all and filled up the tank, after another 5 minutes of driving the white smoke seems to have stopped. Still, won't start easily, need to push the pedal to the floor and crank for 5 full seconds to get it to start. Still has lumpy idle, running rich, now 11 ish afrs on idle. Sometimes the idle will drop to 400ish rpms or less. Seems to drive alright, a bit rough, as I'm sure my tune isn't good for the new heads/turbo. So my idea is the bad gas fouled the plugs, and now my plugs are the issue, is this fair? Any other ideas?
Harenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
reddevil
Scooby Guru

Member#: 64673
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1990 Legacy wagon
goes 12.387 @ 116.5

Did you EVER remove/replace/**** with the injectors?

If so, did you LUBE the o-rings when reinstalling? Sounds like a classic case of torn/ripped injector O-ring.
reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote