Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
WANTED!!
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 222826
Default Bad oil control valve vs burnt valves.

Hi all. New here, and new to Subaru's, but not to cars.
Situational Background:
I have an 05 LGT that is bone stock and only has 60k on it, and it took a dump on me. Dealership told me I had low compression on cylinders 2 and 4 and that I needed a new headgasket, although the symptoms didn't quite fit for that.
Car has poor idle, misses throughout the entire driving range, no power under any load, stalls out after coming to a stop. What it does not do is overheat or smoke.
After conversation with Adam at Revolutions Performance, I think it's more likely that the car has burnt valves. What I strongly suspect caused it is detonation due to a lean condition. When I measured the resistance on the injectors themselves, 3 out of 4 measured at 11.6 ohms, and the last one 11.8 ohms resistance. They're supposed to measure in at 11.9, and I happen to have an extra set that does.

The Topic at Hand:
On another forum, I posted up my issue. What someone mentioned is that he believes it's my Oil Control Valve (OCV). I did a bit of research on the subject, and what I found is that with OCV issues, they don't occur throughout the entire rpm band. However, according to him, the symptoms are similiar to what I'm experiencing now.
So my question(s) is this. How can I truly determine if it is in fact my OCV or if I think my theory is correct? I've never had a car that had OCV's, so I'm curious if there is in fact something I'm missing or not noticing as far as symptoms go.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
WANTED!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
WANTED!!
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 222826

No one has an answer to this here, or could an admin move this to a section where I might get an answer?
WANTED!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
munkis
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1847
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
Team Broken: V6 GF
rallyarmor.com

you can swap the OCV to the other side and see if your misfire moves to the other side.

Other than that you would need a scan tool capable of reading data.
munkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
jadis
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 223854
Default Just replace your Oil Control Valves- both of them!!!!

I am glad I saw your thread so I can share my information. My 06 LGT has about 56k miles on it and I was having the same issues. I did some research over on legacygt.com forums and searched "rough idle". I came across a thread that explains the issue is the Oil Control Valves....

So knowing my car was out of warranty, I simply bought the two valves and installed them myself. I do absolutely no work on my car, so this is relatvely easy. They are $111 each through the dealer, you have one per side and it takes about 10 min for one side, and a little longer on the other since there is a bracket that you have to work around.

I strongly suggest buying the two new valves and installing them and be done with it. You can also buy them online for about $80-$90 each, but that is up to you. You will have to wait a while for shipping etc.

Here is a link to the thread on how to replace them:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showt...&highlight=OCV

Also, here is the part # where you can call your local dealer and see if they have it, just pick them up and end your saga:

Part#: 10921AA020

For the right side of the replacement I simply forced out the OCV (I damaged it, but who cares....I had a new one to go in). You can try bending the bracket upwards or inwards to gain a mm or two, then just force out the old one....The new one slides in easily for some reason, try rotating the OCV all the way around and it should go right in. You may also try this for pulling out the old one, rotate the OCV all around to see if it clears the bracket. That might have worked for me in the first place had I not forced it out the way I did. The left side is as easy as changing a light bulb.....one screw, disconnect one hose....the hose is just pushed on and off, no bolts.

Good luck

jadis is offline   Reply With Quote