Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Rocky Mountains Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Rocky Mountains Impreza Club Forum -- RMIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
AWDenvy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202140
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: West Jordan, UT
Vehicle:
1998 2.5 RS
RBP

Default The scourge of mankind.

I'm making this short, otherwise I would only veer off into a long string of profanities. This sickens me beyond all belief.


People want to know when the end of the world will occur? When people like this are openly left alone, after having admitted to doing something like this.


http://www.injustice801.com/DJ_Bell_...Fair/Home.html
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AWDenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:01 AM   #2
ashergrey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 174533
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC, UT
Vehicle:
0694 WRXLtd/LegWagon
WRB/Pure White

Default

The case is still pending trial. No one but DJ Bell and those kids know what really happened in that home or why right now. I'm reserving judgement on that part of the story until the it's hashed out in court.

Lohra Miller should have charged the parents, though. That much is for certain.
ashergrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
UT_Evo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78604
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC
Vehicle:
2008 STi
Black

Default

Yeah, I'm not taking sides either... but if they really aren't at fault... talk about old school Salem witch hunt days... The Crucible anyone?

I want to know more of the story then just from that website though... Anyone have a link to a REAL news story about it? (I admittedly don't watch the news much, if at all, so this is the first I'm hearing about this, even over a year later).

Also confused about this: "FACT: It was nearly six in the morning and DJ had been drinking with the family (with the kids present) all night."

DJ was drinking with the mom in question? Is that the family they are talking about? Or was it like the whole family (aka the same mob that came later)?
UT_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
UT_Evo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78604
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC
Vehicle:
2008 STi
Black

Default

http://living.aol.com/morning-rush/b...%2F40411000001

While we're on the subject of the scourge of mankind...
UT_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
ashergrey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 174533
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC, UT
Vehicle:
0694 WRXLtd/LegWagon
WRB/Pure White

Default

There's been a ton of news coverage of the story Evo. Just Google DJ Bell and you'll get plenty of results.
ashergrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
UT_Evo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78604
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC
Vehicle:
2008 STi
Black

Default

A search for DJ Bell is actually pretty surprising, not many results besides images for their story... But I did find one that was a good summary of it "one year later"
UT_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
Lil' Biggie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 93992
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Miller Motorsports Park
Vehicle:
'06 EVO MR,
'89 240SX, '07 Yaris

Default

Here is the original story from the Deseret News.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...251481,00.html
Lil' Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
UT_Evo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 78604
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC
Vehicle:
2008 STi
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Biggie View Post
Here is the original story from the Deseret News.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...251481,00.html
Thanks Biggie! Very interesting info in that story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by medamullet View Post
Come on man. You know that it's just not the LDS Go to the bible belt. I am sure you will find more than what we deal with here. We can't blame all our problems on the LDS church. There are as many biggots here that are NOT LDS.

Hate the player, not the game
+1, but you have to admit that they play a big role in the state's socially accepted norms, and our society here as a whole, especially in Utah County.
UT_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
medamullet
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 99442
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Man of Mystery
Vehicle:
2006 SGM STI
I'm on CORN YO!

Default

This thread will get closed. I am sure. OP I want for facts on the story. I guess we will see how it turns out on the 22nd of this month. It truely is a sad horrible story.
medamullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
ashergrey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 174533
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC, UT
Vehicle:
0694 WRXLtd/LegWagon
WRB/Pure White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medamullet View Post
If that is how it went down the all could go to jail for a very long time.
They won't ALL go to jail though, because SLCo DA Lohra Miller's office declined to seek charges against the parents. Regardless of whether Bell kidnapped the children or not, it was plainly obvious that an assault had occured to police and prosecutors and they opted not to pursue that aspect of the case. That is a miscarriage of justice.

If you're really upset about it, vote Miller out as district attorney when she comes up for re-election.
ashergrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
AWDenvy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202140
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: West Jordan, UT
Vehicle:
1998 2.5 RS
RBP

Default

Not exactly the direction I wanted this thread to go.

You're right, no one has the facts yet. And that does make throwing blatant accusations around a little tough. But in my head, I've already taken sides, I'm sorry. You can only spin a story so far in any one direction, and they haven't spun it enough for me to think that these two men did anything close to deserve what they received.

I'm with Kentrik. Stories like this really make me lose faith in the human race.
AWDenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
medamullet
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 99442
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Man of Mystery
Vehicle:
2006 SGM STI
I'm on CORN YO!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDenvy View Post
Not exactly the direction I wanted this thread to go.

You're right, no one has the facts yet. And that does make throwing blatant accusations around a little tough. But in my head, I've already taken sides, I'm sorry. You can only spin a story so far in any one direction, and they haven't spun it enough for me to think that these two men did anything close to deserve what they received.

I'm with Kentrik. Stories like this really make me lose faith in the human race.
look what you have done!

I agree.it makes me really sad that things like this even happen. I will be waiting to see how this all goes down. knowbody deserves that kind of treatment regardless of the reasons.
medamullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #13
ashergrey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 174533
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC, UT
Vehicle:
0694 WRXLtd/LegWagon
WRB/Pure White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDenvy View Post
Not exactly the direction I wanted this thread to go.

You're right, no one has the facts yet. And that does make throwing blatant accusations around a little tough. But in my head, I've already taken sides, I'm sorry. You can only spin a story so far in any one direction, and they haven't spun it enough for me to think that these two men did anything close to deserve what they received.

I'm with Kentrik. Stories like this really make me lose faith in the human race.
No one here has said Bell deserved to get beat. But just because he got beat doesn't mean that he's innocent of the alleged kidnapping.

Look at it this way -- say a person goes in to rob a gas station. The clerk fights back and goes over the line, savagely attacking the robber. Should the robber be let off the hook because he was the victim of an assault? Should the clerk be prosecuted for using unnecessary force?

This case draws headlines because it's a blatant example of a failure to maintain equal application of the law.
ashergrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:30 PM   #14
Comrade Turchenko
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 179911
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Cottonwood Heights
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Dark Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashergrey View Post
No one here has said Bell deserved to get beat. But just because he got beat doesn't mean that he's innocent of the alleged kidnapping.

Look at it this way -- say a person goes in to rob a gas station. The clerk fights back and goes over the line, savagely attacking the robber. Should the robber be let off the hook because he was the victim of an assault? Should the clerk be prosecuted for using unnecessary force?

This case draws headlines because it's a blatant example of a failure to maintain equal application of the law.
that's not how it happened at all. The kids' parents had already found them and taken them home almost an hour before the mob stormed the house. There was absolutely no way the mob was justified in their actions, the only explanation is homophobia.

If DJ Bell is found guilty of the kidnapping and the parents get off scot free, i wouldn't be surprised if there's a riot in the streets.
Comrade Turchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #15
ashergrey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 174533
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC, UT
Vehicle:
0694 WRXLtd/LegWagon
WRB/Pure White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Turchenko View Post
that's not how it happened at all. The kids' parents had already found them and taken them home almost an hour before the mob stormed the house. There was absolutely no way the mob was justified in their actions, the only explanation is homophobia.

If DJ Bell is found guilty of the kidnapping and the parents get off scot free, i wouldn't be surprised if there's a riot in the streets.
Oh cool, you were there? Lets put you on the stand.

Fact is, you don't know what exactly happened, nor do I. Everything is based on statements made after the fact by people involved on both sides. Each has their own interpretation of the events and their own reasons for distorting retellings to support their own actions.

A delay in the attack could have motivations other than homophobia. It's unfair to both sides to jump to conclusions until the facts, evidence and testimony are presented in open court.

And a riot? Please. Far more violent and heinous crimes than this take place every day, leading to the injury or death of innocent victims.
ashergrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
Comrade Turchenko
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 179911
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Cottonwood Heights
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Dark Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashergrey View Post
Oh cool, you were there? Lets put you on the stand.

Fact is, you don't know what exactly happened, nor do I. Everything is based on statements made after the fact by people involved on both sides. Each has their own interpretation of the events and their own reasons for distorting retellings to support their own actions.

A delay in the attack could have motivations other than homophobia. It's unfair to both sides to jump to conclusions until the facts, evidence and testimony are presented in open court.

And a riot? Please. Far more violent and heinous crimes than this take place every day, leading to the injury or death of innocent victims.
i realise that far worse crimes happen on a regular basis, just not all of them involve the state of Utah saying, "oh, the victim was gay. You're fine, then!"
Comrade Turchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #17
ashergrey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 174533
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC, UT
Vehicle:
0694 WRXLtd/LegWagon
WRB/Pure White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Turchenko View Post
i realise that far worse crimes happen on a regular basis, just not all of them involve the state of Utah saying, "oh, the victim was gay. You're fine, then!"
Show me where anyone in a position of authority in this case has made such a statement.

I, like you, disagree with the way in which the state has chosen to prosecute this case. But we don't have enough information yet to make an informed decision as to why the DA's office didn't charge the family.

If Bell were straight and not gay, the police and DA would be given a large degree of deferrence in their decision not to charge the parents. Just because he IS gay doesn't mean that was the reason the alleged attackers got off without even a slap on the wrist.
ashergrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #18
Helmut
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 85060
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: s.l.c. ut.
Vehicle:
0409 STI/ Fozzy XT
WRB/Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Note here peeps. This Stays On TOPIC.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #19
Comrade Turchenko
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 179911
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Cottonwood Heights
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Dark Red

Default

i see your point. Sorry if i may have come off as a bit assuming and confrontational, but this case has been really pissing me off.

i understand that eventually it will boil down to a he-said, she-said situation, and that nothing is certain in this case.

While the actions of the state were probably not rooted in homophobia, the actions of the mob were. Do you think they would have freaked out as much if the kids were taken by a straight couple?
Comrade Turchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
ashergrey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 174533
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC, UT
Vehicle:
0694 WRXLtd/LegWagon
WRB/Pure White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Turchenko View Post
i see your point. Sorry if i may have come off as a bit assuming and confrontational, but this case has been really pissing me off.

...Do you think they would have freaked out as much if the kids were taken by a straight couple?
Honestly, I agree with you. But what we believe isn't really admissible to the case. That's my only point.

People have every right to be angry about this... and they should. Assault should not be tolerated in civil society. Find ways to focus that anger into positive action though by voting out the decision-makers who brought the case to this point.
ashergrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #21
ashergrey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 174533
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC, UT
Vehicle:
0694 WRXLtd/LegWagon
WRB/Pure White

Default

Bell's been acquitted by a jury of his peers.
ashergrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #22
yellow_snow
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 179661
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Utah
Vehicle:
A Subaru
duh

Default

thats wonderful to hear. The fact that he and his partner had no criminal history whatsoever prior to this event and the kids parents had a history as long as a train, is the part that really made me mad about this
yellow_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #23
Comrade Turchenko
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 179911
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Cottonwood Heights
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Dark Red

Default

now that he's settled, do you think they'll bother charging the mob? I personally doubt it.
Comrade Turchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #24
ashergrey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 174533
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC, UT
Vehicle:
0694 WRXLtd/LegWagon
WRB/Pure White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Turchenko View Post
now that he's settled, do you think they'll bother charging the mob? I personally doubt it.
They may. The family have now made statements under oath about what happened that night. It could easily fan the flames. Plus, the DA's office is walking with a bloody nose and may well want to pass it on to someone else.
ashergrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #25
Helmut
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 85060
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: s.l.c. ut.
Vehicle:
0409 STI/ Fozzy XT
WRB/Dark Grey Metallic

Default

I see Bell and family sueing the Mob that beat them.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The powers of OT needed TheDocta Off-Topic 61 06-04-2010 11:43 PM
Wal-Mart Semi-truck drivers are the scourge of the Interstates... Kostamojen Off-Topic 22 02-15-2008 11:36 PM
The thread about all the cool stuff mankind has built beachbum Off-Topic 36 07-25-2006 05:18 PM
Jello swimming for the good of mankind cessna152 Off-Topic 6 08-20-2003 04:25 PM
Chris Valle - the Scourge of San Diego (big pix) STiShawn Member's Car Gallery 8 05-19-2001 09:03 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.