Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
NotMyGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 194599
Join Date: Nov 2008
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
OBP

Default Twinscroll GT3076R

Does anyone have any experience with these? I see ATP sells them. Only thing I'm concerned with is the .78A/R hotside, sure it'll help with the bottom end, but I really don't want to lose out on the top end. I want the best of both worlds, which may be too much to ask for.



Come to find out they have a T4 Twinscroll only available with the 1.06 hotside. Don't know if I want to go that big.



Also, rumor has it the A/Rs indicated aren't accurate. Supposedly the cast divider creates a smaller A/R. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Edit: The T4 fitment has been confirmed by ATP.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
NotMyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:20 AM   #2
NSFW
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 140444
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Near Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
05 Stage Free LGT
ATP 3076, 6MT, AVO FMIC

Default

Deja vu.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:21 AM   #3
wrxsti.l
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 156973
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Vehicle:
2002 ADM WRX STi
STi Black/Blue

Default

Check out the Airwerk's S200SX 75/70 (here), it has similar spool to the GT3076R, but flows more air for more whp. It also has a larger selection of twin-scrol housings available too.

And the best thing is, it is only half the price of the ATP twin-scroll GT3076R

Leslie
wrxsti.l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
socalLGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 89752
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: On the dyno at Yimi Sport
Vehicle:
08 STI
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti.l View Post
Check out the Airwerk's S200SX 75/70 (here), it has similar spool to the GT3076R, but flows more air for more whp. It also has a larger selection of twin-scrol housings available too.

And the best thing is, it is only half the price of the ATP twin-scroll GT3076R

Leslie
That is exactly the turbo that is going on my car in conjunction with a twinscroll Full-Race manifold/uppipe. I've been very happy with my single scroll GT35R, so this is just a great opportunity to test out a "new" turbo and see if I can get very close to the same peak power with significantly better spool. Given what I have already experienced with BW turbos and the Full-Race TS manifold I doubt I'll be disappointed
socalLGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:33 AM   #5
badmammajamma
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 84419
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi
380whp ATP 35r

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalLGT View Post
That is exactly the turbo that is going on my car in conjunction with a twinscroll Full-Race manifold/uppipe. I've been very happy with my single scroll GT35R, so this is just a great opportunity to test out a "new" turbo and see if I can get very close to the same peak power with significantly better spool. Given what I have already experienced with BW turbos and the Full-Race TS manifold I doubt I'll be disappointed
I cannot find anyone using this turbo anywhere looks nice and priced right if this is as good as it looks they will be sold out soon.
badmammajamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
ASU
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 164551
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Baumholder, Deutschland
Vehicle:
2006 Brotastic STi
Land of beer and laws

Default

Kelly at Covert Performance is making a twinscroll 200SX turbo for me. Should be on the car in about a month. Borg for the Win.
ASU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
NotMyGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 194599
Join Date: Nov 2008
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
OBP

Default

There are a couple reasons why I don't really want to go with the S200sx. 1: It's a marmon flange on the hotside to downpipe. 2: It's a journal bearing turbo.

I've looked extensively into turbos and options, I like that the Garrett turbos are DBB with a V-Band flange.

There's a guy local to me who's building a S300sx kit and the downpipe to the marmon flange doesn't look too sturdy because of the lack of room he has to play with.

Sure I could go with the S200sx and machine the flange down to a V-Band and call it a day but that'll add extra costs to the kit.

I'm glad to hear everyone likes BW Turbos, but I specifically asked about Garrett GT3076R with the twinscroll housing.
NotMyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Badler
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133597
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange
Default

Geoff @ Full Race probably has all the info you are looking for. He has tested countless combinations. Maybe he will chime in here.
Badler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
kellygnsd
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32669
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Rancho C
Vehicle:
2007 2.34LR, EFR7670
LINK G4 hybrid STi

Default

Out GE coumbustion turbine natural gas feed lines and turbine section bypass lines extensively use marmon flanges. I'm going to say if its good enough for a jet engine, its good enough for my ride.
kellygnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
NotMyGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 194599
Join Date: Nov 2008
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygnsd View Post
Out GE coumbustion turbine natural gas feed lines and turbine section bypass lines extensively use marmon flanges. I'm going to say if its good enough for a jet engine, its good enough for my ride.
I didn't say the flange isn't up to par, the downpipe built to fit it isn't.
NotMyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
wrxsti.l
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 156973
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Vehicle:
2002 ADM WRX STi
STi Black/Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyGT View Post
There are a couple reasons why I don't really want to go with the S200sx. 1: It's a marmon flange on the hotside to downpipe.
In your first post you said the GT3076R twin-scroll uses a T4 flange - the S200SX also uses a T4 flange.

T4 is T4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyGT View Post
2: It's a journal bearing turbo.
These new Borg Warner turbos use the most recently designed journal bearing technology, with fully floating dual sleeve bushing bearings and a 360deg axial thrust bearing. They are not your old ass journal bearing turbos of the 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyGT View Post
I've looked extensively into turbos and options, I like that the Garrett turbos are DBB
Any benefit the Garrett turbos gain from ball bearing CHRA is gained back by the Borg Warner with its extended tip technology.

The Airwerk's turbos have been shown to be just as good as Garrets (if not better) at the same compressor flow rate, even with with more compresor flow, they still spool very well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyGT View Post
with a V-Band flange.
If you buy the S200SX from FullRace, then it can come in the exact same setup - T4 twin-scroll turbine housing with 3" v-band. So no difference there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyGT View Post
There's a guy local to me who's building a S300sx kit and the downpipe to the marmon flange doesn't look too sturdy because of the lack of room he has to play with.
If ppl can fit a rotated GT40 in the WRX's engine bay, you will have no problem fitting an S200SX.

Also, there are a few companies now that make rotated borg warner kits for the wrx, so again you should have no problems fitting it

Check out the Yimisport's ugly betty with Fullrace S300SX rotated kit thread HERE. If it fits, the S200SX will too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyGT View Post
Sure I could go with the S200sx and machine the flange down to a V-Band and call it a day but that'll add extra costs to the kit.
As above, from FullRace it can come with 3" v-band. eg:


Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyGT View Post
I'm glad to hear everyone likes BW Turbos, but I specifically asked about Garrett GT3076R with the twinscroll housing.
np at all. I've corrected the incorrect info and I'll leave you to it now.

Leslie


EDIT: Just found this comparison of the Bullseye S200 (not exactly the Airwerks S200SX) and GT3076R - interesting results indeed:


With the Airwerk's SX housings, it should performeven better then the Bullseye.


You really have to ask yourself why you want the Garret, when the S200SX is over $1000 cheaper and performs equally as good (if not better)

Last edited by wrxsti.l; 09-18-2009 at 01:57 PM.
wrxsti.l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
NotMyGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 194599
Join Date: Nov 2008
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
OBP

Default

Thank you for the great comparison with logical reasons why the BW has advantages.

My concern came from the builder when he said this regarding the marmon flange:
"well the turbo is mounted as far forward in the car as possible without hitting the brake lines on the strut tower and the intake manifold. But that damn marmon flange setup and the transition from 3.5"-3" takes up way too much room (2" in length to be exact) and cant fit a down pipe on it. Customer wanted the way it came from the factory isntead of spending the money and getting the 3.5" marmon setup machined off and welding on a 3" v-band. Totally stuck now and its the last thing i need."





Is that TS vs TS? Or SS vs SS?
NotMyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
Badler
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133597
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange
Default

Isn't a T4 flange the same size. TS or SS?
Badler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #14
NotMyGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 194599
Join Date: Nov 2008
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmsadler View Post
Isn't a T4 flange the same size. TS or SS?
Yes, but if the spool up time differs on the dyno, I want to know if we're comparing apples to apples.
NotMyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #15
Badler
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133597
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyGT View Post
Yes, but if the spool up time differs on the dyno, I want to know if we're comparing apples to apples.
I thought you were talking about actual size. Like if the SS was shorter with more room for the DP. Now I see you were talking about the dyno plot. Whoops!
Badler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #16
NotMyGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 194599
Join Date: Nov 2008
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmsadler View Post
I thought you were talking about actual size. Like if the SS was shorter with more room for the DP. Now I see you were talking about the dyno plot. Whoops!
Notta problem.

I'm not completely sold on the TS 30R, but I do want to find out more information specifically on that turbo, whether in real world experience or dyno plots.
NotMyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #17
Badler
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133597
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyGT View Post
Notta problem.

I'm not completely sold on the TS 30R, but I do want to find out more information specifically on that turbo, whether in real world experience or dyno plots.
I wanna say from what i've seen most just go with the 35 and that you really need the 1.06ar on these motors. Similar spool with more top. Wish I could find which thread i'm thinking of.
Badler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #18
NotMyGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 194599
Join Date: Nov 2008
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
OBP

Default

I'm looking for similar or close to similar spool times with about 350whp. I don't know if that's attainable, which is why I'm asking all these questions. I searched and searched, I don't think anyone is really running a TS 30R. I don't want to go more power because if I do my transmission will be a ticking time bomb, literally. Sure once the transmission goes, it's time for an upgrade.
NotMyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #19
Badler
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133597
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange
Default

You don't need rotated to hit 350whp. An EWGd 20g will get that on an "average" reading dyno. Whatever that means.
Badler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #20
NotMyGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 194599
Join Date: Nov 2008
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmsadler View Post
You don't need rotated to hit 350whp. An EWGd 20g will get that on an "average" reading dyno. Whatever that means.
It'll be a mild 350 until the tranny goes, then I turn up the powah.
NotMyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:04 PM   #21
Badler
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133597
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMyGT View Post
It'll be a mild 350 until the tranny goes, then I turn up the powah.
Gotcha. Well then it's settled, TS 35R running about 15psi.
Badler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #22
Zornorph
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17332
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: The neighbor's yard
Vehicle:
2004 Black STI
Not stock anymore

Default

I have a TS 3076 with a .82 euro spec v-band T3 hotside, on Full Race's second generation manifolds and uppipes with the twin 44mm v band dumps.

It's mighty impressive. It pulled very hard to redline, easily made over 400 on a low reading dyno, and no cams then.

I don't get the pricing that's being kicked around - The 3076 is $1300, I think the Airwerks is similar, maybe $900? Certainly not $1000 LESS than Garrett.

In any case, I'm positive either turbo would do very well.

Last edited by Zornorph; 09-18-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Zornorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #23
NotMyGT
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 194599
Join Date: Nov 2008
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zornorph View Post
I have a TS 3076 with a .82 euro spec v-band T3 hotside, on Full Race's second generation manifolds and uppipes with the twin 44mm v band dumps.

It's mighty impressive. It pulled very hard to redline, easily made over 400 on a low reading dyno, and no cams then.

I don't get the pricing that's being kicked around - The 3076 is $1300, I think the Airwerks is similar, maybe $900? Certainly not $1000 LESS than Garrett.

In any case, I'm positive either turbo would do very well.
Do you recall when you hit full boost?
NotMyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #24
kellygnsd
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32669
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Rancho C
Vehicle:
2007 2.34LR, EFR7670
LINK G4 hybrid STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zornorph View Post
I have a TS 3076 with a .82 euro spec v-band T3 hotside, on Full Race's second generation manifolds and uppipes with the twin 44mm v band dumps.

It's mighty impressive. It pulled very hard to redline, easily made over 400 on a low reading dyno, and no cams then.

I don't get the pricing that's being kicked around - The 3076 is $1300, I think the Airwerks is similar, maybe $900? Certainly not $1000 LESS than Garrett.

In any case, I'm positive either turbo would do very well.

Can you point me in the right direction to get this TS 30R? From what I've found the 30R is ~$1300 without the TS housing + housing = ??????? I want one too and was thinking about going with the BW but I would prefer a water cooled CHRA. I can car less if its BB or journal bearing as long as the spool is similar.


EDIT: Nevermind, ATP has them for the right price.

Last edited by kellygnsd; 09-18-2009 at 06:09 PM.
kellygnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #25
Angry Toaster
I'm not angry
Moderator
 
Member#: 62555
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: socal
Vehicle:
2001 SF5 / 2001 GC8
08 E92 / 08 CBR600RR

OMGHi2U

You can check out this thread for the shop that is using the ATP TS 30R on their TS turbo kits.

And now the shameless plug for my FS ad for the same ATP TS 30R turbo.
Angry Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SoCal: STi heads, GT3076R, Invidia DP, rear o2 sensor & twinscroll dp flange BlueFish Engine/Power/Exhaust 25 10-12-2009 02:03 PM
STi heads, GT3076R, invidia DP, rear o2 sensor & twinscroll dp flange BlueFish SCIC Private Classifieds 26 10-12-2009 02:02 PM
SoCal: STi built heads, GT3076R turbo, o2 sensor and twinscroll flange BlueFish Engine/Power/Exhaust 29 09-21-2009 03:05 PM
SoCal: GT3076R, APV1, o2 sensor and twinscroll downpipe flange BlueFish Engine/Power/Exhaust 28 08-17-2009 12:45 AM
FS: Garret GT3076R Twinscroll Turbo MartinSTi05 Engine/Power/Exhaust 15 07-04-2008 11:50 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.