|09-18-2009, 03:07 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jun 2009
02 rex sti and jdm
flat black stealth mode
guide to make your fog lights on with your parking lights w/factory button and light!
ok im doing this on my 2002 wrx. so all the wire colors i show in my pictures are in my 02 wrx. i cant speak for other years wire colors, but i would imagine that the pin location would be the same if there is a difference in color. this is a do at your own risk guide im just simply stating how i did it in my car.
1. remove lower dash on drivers side. there are two phillips screws one in each bottom corner.
2. after the dash panel is removed, locate the fog light harness. open it up so you have good access to the wiring. in the 2002 model, you will find a thicker red/blue wire. this wire shows 12v only when the headlights are turned on. it provides power to the fog light indicator light in the switch to light it up when the fog lights are on. you will also see a purple wire. this wire shows 12v when the parking lights are turned on and continues to show 12v when the headlights are turned on. cut the red/blue towards the middle of the harness. the red/blue that leads back to the car needs to be taped off. now the other half of the red/blue that leads into the switch, strip back the end and tap it into the purple wire. this will allow the fog indicator light to light up with parking lights and headlights. after this is done tape the harness back up and your done here.
3. move over to where the block of relays is to the right of the steering column. we have fixed the indicator light, now we have to get the fogs to come on with the parking lights. you are going to pull out the third relay up from the bottom. if your not sure, turn the fog lights on and when you pull this relay the fogs will go off. how the relay works is the top right pin for the fog relay shows power only when the headlights are turned on. the bottom right pin shows a ground when the fog switch is activated. we have to make it so the 12v pin will show 12v during parking lights and headlights. to make sure, test the top right pin socket for 12v with the headlights on.
now the hard part. you have to find the wire that goes to the pin location in the picture above (the headlight 12v power). it will be red/blue or if its different i would imagine it would be the same color as the wire you cut behind the fog switch.
4. once you have found tis wire, cut it near the middle with room on both ends. the end that follows the harness down and to the left can be taped off.
5. the other end of the red/blue that leads to the back of the relay block will need a 12v power source that is 12v with parking lights. this you can find in the larger of the two blue plugs on the front of the fuse panel near the top. the wire you need is purple just like the wire in the fog harness.
tap a 2 foot or so piece of wire into this purple wire. in my case i ran it behind and to the right for a nice and clean install. after you tap and tape, tape the harness up and plug it back in you are done with this plug.
7. now the wire you tapped in, bring it over to the red/blue that leads to the back of the relay block and attach the two ends together. this will bring 12v to the relay when the parking and headlights are on allowing the fogs to be on with parking lights or headlights.
8. now pop the fog relay back in, turn the parking light on and test it out. the indicator light should come on whenever the fogs are on.
10. put it all back together and enjoy!!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|09 wrx fogs on with just parking lights?||Dragonfueled||Electrical & Lighting||0||10-10-2009 10:34 PM|
|How do you get fog lights on with parking lights on only...||Phreaker||Impreza Forum||10||01-30-2008 04:03 PM|
|Hella 500 and lights on with highs and parking mod||wrxspdr||Electrical & Lighting||9||04-04-2006 03:02 PM|
|did your alarm installer know how to make a remote start work with your turbo timer?||Poe||Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC||13||08-08-2003 02:34 AM|