Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
sabber
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 224705
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 NA Baja sport
Silver

Default Wind noise fix!

Was searching around on the nets recently and came across this thread on the Suburu Legacy International forums:

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic....37d3455c5fe625

In it the poster describes the prescribed Subaru fix, which involves a lot of measuring and replacing of the gusset around the mirror area and their fix which involves apply a squeezing motion with your fingers. I did the squeezing thing and it worked out great and I know have a HUGE reduction of noise when driving at high speeds (good thing too becouse it was really starting to drive me insane) and since I know this is a common problem I thought I would spread the knowledge to the forums I frequent. Here are some pics of me doing the fix.

Step one: Roll down the window.

Step two: Start to pry off that little plastic triangle thing at the corner of your window, there arent any screws or anything it just pulls off, wih your finger.

Step three: Finish prying it off with a flat head screw driver or something.

Step four: Apply pressure where my thumb is. That little bit is apparently made of a metal that you can bend inwards and close up that gap the window goes in. *

Extra: Since I noticed that the little plastic triangle vibrates a lot during higher speed driving and can cause some noise itself I put some 1/4" microcell foam in it to deaden vibrations (I use this for some other projects I do, a few layers of crafting foam from walmart would probably do the trick as well) though ultimately it doesnt seem to make a difference if its there or not.

Step five: Roll up your window, close your door and go driving on the highway and rejoice at the lack of sound coming from your door.

Note* Play with it a couple times to make sure the seal is tight by rolling the window up and down.

There you go; an easy to follow guide on how to reduce wind noise inside your sooby. If it starts making noise again just do it again.

Cross posted to scoobytruck.com
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
sabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
BajaGuy68
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 127720
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Lightning Red

Thanks for the info.! I have the tweeters from the stereo(factory) there, so I'll have to see how they're attached.
BajaGuy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
jeromes
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 192299
Vehicle:
2011 Forester XT
Blue

Thanks for the Post.
jeromes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
Guzzler
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 79616

That's it? That's all there is to it?

I was just thinking this weekend that there was an excess amount of wind noise at high speed, and I was going to look up the fix. Low and behold, no searching required, here it is. Nice.

P.S.
It works. Closed the gap down to 2mm. Took a couple time of rolling up and down the windows to make sure it remains consistent. Jumped on the freeway, got it up to speed, and nice and quiet.

The test drive took more time than the fix

Last edited by Guzzler; 10-05-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
YooperBaja
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 64311
Vehicle:
2003 Baja
Silver

Wow! It only took a few minutes to fix! In the 3 days since I tried this the wind noise has been greatly diminished. I have traveled at 70 mph on the freeway and it appears to be gone. The true test will be a day with a good headwind.
YooperBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
devitol
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 227846

Thanks for the tip! Three years of nagging wind finally gone
devitol is offline   Reply With Quote