Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
GreenMarine
Scooby Guru

Member#: 36080
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
'98 Legacy / 06 STi
AH-64D Longbow Apache

Default Buying Group-A lightweight accessory pulleys... PS pulley question?!

Alright so as the Group A website says:

http://www.groupa.ca/ps_pulley_fitment.html

there are apparently two different power steering pulleys on STi's... I was just wondering a few things from the members here on NASIOC...

1.) If anyone has ever heard of this?

2.) If anyone has ever bought these pulleys, and if so which ones did you get?

3.) Is it possible that this "issue" is only a Canadian thing? I mean Group A is a canadian company, and my mechanic (subaru master tech) has never heard of the PS pump having different pulleys before...

My main problem lies in which to get, the fine or coarse spline (see link above for description)...

Input? Comments? Anything... Please post it up... I want to order soon as I will be moving in about 3 weeks and want to get them before I have to move...

~ Chris
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
GreenMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
Unabomber
Big Ron

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

That link has giant pictures of both and you still have questions? If you want product advice contact your installer. If giant pictures aren't enough help for you then you need to talk to a professional. And I'm not trying to be an asshat here, just letting you know where you stand.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
GreenMarine
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'98 Legacy / 06 STi
AH-64D Longbow Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
That link has giant pictures of both and you still have questions? If you want product advice contact your installer. If giant pictures aren't enough help for you then you need to talk to a professional. And I'm not trying to be an asshat here, just letting you know where you stand.
Woah dude, I know you are a Mod here and have seen you around for the last 6 years, but you need to recognize something here. I'm not some dumbass n00b asking a retarded question. I am an experienced Subaru owner who has run into an issue that I have never heard of before... I am simply seeking advice from more experienced owners in the area of engine accessories (as I am more of a suspension and brakes kinda guy)...

Also, if you'd look at both the questions AND the information on Group A's website you will see a few things:

- I am asking if anyone has heard of this PS pulley issue before...

- I am asking if anyone knows if it is unique only to Canada or if it is in the US as well...

- You will also see that the writing on the pictures of the Group A website says that the pulleys "MAY" be either black or white. The angle of the picture also kinda obscures the definitive way to tell them apart (besides color)...

So frankly as much as I wanted to reply to you and say "F*** YOU!" I think I'll just say that you are really not offering a receptive environment for people seeking answers (kinda what this website is all about, since I too have been around for over 6 years)... You might just be trying get a laugh out of someone's post, but I am not taking it that way - especially since I have spent the last 3 hours searching NASIOC, iwsti, clubWRX, and Flat4 for answers or even a hint that someone else has had the same issue that I am having...

So thanks for your "help", I guess I know who I can go to if I ever need a sarcastic response to a serious question in the future...

~ Chris
Old 10-18-2009, 01:38 AM   #4
Unabomber
Big Ron

Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

You know, I posted "And I'm not trying to be an asshat here" as I hoped that you would read that and see that I'm not trying to be an asshat. Know that I know that when I am trying to be nice that people like you will take offense anyway here is my real advice:

If searching failed you, you call the company that sells this.
You should try buying a part that is from a real company not some hokey company.
You should try buying a car part that actually does something for your car other than adding 0HP and 0TQ and being a huge pain in the ass to install.
You look at the pictures on the website, print them out, and go to your car and find out which one you need yourself. You are obsessing about the color when the SHAPES of each type are different....match up the shapes....not that hard....and if that doesn't work, call the dang ole company that makes it. I realize instant gratification is passee these days, but sometimes the horse's mouth is better than the jackass's mouth.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:39 AM   #5
GreenMarine
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'98 Legacy / 06 STi
AH-64D Longbow Apache

I probably should have included in my first post that:

- I am in fort Leonard Wood, Missouri and atleast 2 hours from the nearest Subaru dealer
- I don't have an impact gun handy and can't seem to wrench off the stock pulley (tried today and was unsuccessful).
- I have a LARGE aluminum radiator and silicone hoses on my car which makes getting anything other than an open-ended wrench over the bolt, and that just can't put the necessary torque on the bolt
- I am planning on buying these, driving to the Subaru dealer in Springfield, Missouri and having them install them...

So you can see why I am seeking answers here instead of trying to pull the pump off... I probably could, but I can't afford to have my car down for much time, and I DEFINITELY don't trust anyone in this military town to touch my car with tools...

My options:
- take my car to a little place out in town and have them pull it off (possible, but I don't trust the shops out in town)
- buy an impact and take it off myself (IMPRACTICAL)
- take the hose off the radiator and try to get a bigger wrench on the bolt and break it free (possible, but if I break something it is my ass since I HAVE to get to work everyday this week - and every week I am here for that matter. So you can see why I am alittle skeptical about doing work on the car myself at the moment, because if I break something I not only have to fix it, but I get my ass handed to me by my command)
- Purchase either set (coarse or fine) and then hope that it fits (50 - 50 chance right)... Not a bad plan, but I will only be in the US for another few weeks and want to get these installed before I leave. Mainly because there is an Autocross the week I leave for Australia and I want to get these on before then. That AND if the set I get does not work then I don't want to have to pay the return shipping and wait the added time to get them back to Canada and then wait for the correct ones to arrive...

or my favorite and most preffered method:

- Find out, through research and member feedback on here and my other forums, which pulley is most common on a 2006 WRX STi and then purchase that pulley combo from Group A...

~ Chris

Last edited by GreenMarine; 10-18-2009 at 01:55 AM. Reason: unnecessary information removed...
Old 10-18-2009, 01:44 AM   #6
GreenMarine
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'98 Legacy / 06 STi
AH-64D Longbow Apache

Fair enough... I just read your reply (as we were posting at the same time) and to my best judgment - going by the pictures and the pulley that is on my car - I have a "Fine Spline" pulley...

Now I will probably order that one, but I still am wondering if this whole coarse / fine thing is a Canadian or USA issue... Because like I said, my mechanic has never heard of it before...

I apoligize if I flipped out on you for your post... I just spent 3 hours looking for evidence that this even existed and couldn't find anything so I was alittle pissed off to find the first response to my post directed in that manner (especially after I have read so many of your informative posts)... It just rubbed me the wrong way... But no harm done. I just got a beer from the fridge and I'm over it now

~ Chris
Old 10-18-2009, 01:48 AM   #7
GreenMarine
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'98 Legacy / 06 STi
AH-64D Longbow Apache

But I have to say... In Group A's defense, they are a really good company (the Canadian version of Kartboy maybe?)... They make alot of simple well engineered parts, that are for the most part cheaper than Karyboy's parts... Not saying either one is better, but I had their crank pulley on my SVX a few years ago and it was very nice, subtle and made a slight improvement in how quickly the engine rev'ed (mostly when unloaded - during rev. matching on upshifts)... I would definitely recommend their parts to anyone who is thinking about endlinks or pulley sets

~ Chris

Last edited by GreenMarine; 10-18-2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: speeeling
Old 10-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
Unabomber
Big Ron

Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

I got tart when I bashed the company as they are virtually unknown in the US, so I apologize to you and the company for that. Glad to hear you got the shape sorted out though as it was HARD to see in the photos that they were shaped different. The should have a MS Paint diagram like

Side view cut-out fine: n__n-hole-n__n

Side view cut-out coarse: n__u_hole_u__n

I'm glad you figgered 'er out though. I would just try a local place as my memory tells me it's just an impact you need. I'm 90% sure scoobymods.com has install instructions you could give them, if not google search for instructions for the GFB set as you could use those as well.

Good luck and glad we talked this out as almost never intend to be an e-thug and this was a case where I didn't want to be.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
Darkness Of Death
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 167172
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2007 B Spec

yes, unfortunately the power steerring pulley is pretty much a situation where you have to take it off the check the other side of it.
i had a coarse pulley sitting here as i found out that i have a fine spline pulley...
when we had taken the stock pulley off the car. we noticed that the two different pulleys were actually different in size as well...just by a little...unfortunately i didnt have a Group A fine pulley to really make definite that comparison.

the Group A stuff is not bad..i have a few products on my car - pulleys and endlinks
Darkness Of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
GreenMarine
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
'98 Legacy / 06 STi
AH-64D Longbow Apache

For future refference if anyone else has the same questions I did, I will post the date of manufacture, and make of my car along with the pulley that was on it as soon as I know forsure...

Hopefully sometime in the future this can be a cataloged "inventory" so people can get a pretty good idea of what they have by looking at similar build dates to their own cars

~ Chris
Old 10-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
hybrid gti 2
Scooby Guru

Member#: 67004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
02 vf30 pnp wagon
silver and cf

I gave up on trying to do this mod as the allen bolt was frozen in place. If there is a solution to that it would be good.
hybrid gti 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #12
Darkness Of Death
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 B Spec

as for taking the power steering pulley off, my mechanic had some special too for it. it almost looked like a pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers..but on the ends were not pliers..not sure how to describe them.

and for which pulley you have...there is no consistency if you had actually read the group a fitment page. and this is NOT a canadian car issue. this is all across the board
Old 10-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
hybrid gti 2
Scooby Guru

Member#: 67004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
02 vf30 pnp wagon
silver and cf

Oh thanx for that. I thought I was doing something wrong.
hybrid gti 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #14
Darkness Of Death
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2007 B Spec

no...dont worry. i think it really sucks too