Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 29, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #26
Audiosavvy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 150794
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Vehicle:
Qcab dakota 4x4
LT1 Formula Firebird

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack ffr1846 View Post

....and when you comin' back home, man? I'm gonna have snow to shovel pretty soon and I do NOT shovel. The kids will only do so much.
People always talk about this 'snow' stuff and I'm still not quite clear exactly WHAT it is. They say it's made out of water but it's not liquid. How is that possible? I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack ffr1846 View Post
....and....use the report button. We really do respond.....even when we don't follow your instructions.
That's funny because it's true . But no, we DO see them, for realz.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Audiosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #27
hdempsey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 126374
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Killing threads
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza 2.5RS
Pure Aspen White

Default

Audiosavvy gave me 6 points within the span of 7 minutes if it's any consolation. It's in my profile.
hdempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #28
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
2007 Lotus Elise
(From General)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiosavvy View Post
People always talk about this 'snow' stuff and I'm still not quite clear exactly WHAT it is. They say it's made out of water but it's not liquid. How is that possible? I don't get it
It's like mercury. Or a big GMC. It gives us an excuse for being obnoxious most of the time. When it's warm and not snowing, get the **** our of our way because we go things to get done before it snows. When it's cold and snowy, get the **** out of our way because it's cold and snowy.

(I work for a hospitable Texas company and I think they don't understand us at all. No, I don't work for Defiant Autospeed)
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #29
YourMother'sLover
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 76565
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Location: ...grey area, stirring **** up
Vehicle:
CLXX Stricta Parata
Neci!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenow View Post
I think you are wrong, I need fresh proof that he is good at giving you points.

**** you you ****ing ****!!!!

*Hey look, that swear filter DOES work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiosavvy View Post
The 6 points is to get their attention. Daiv, yoar assuming that EVERYONE reads the Stickies and rules of the forum, and taint the case!

6 points gets their attention. If they don't play nice after that, it quickly gets worse for them.
Just for clarification, he was assuming people actually READ (not just the stickies)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiosavvy View Post
People always talk about this 'snow' stuff and I'm still not quite clear exactly WHAT it is. They say it's made out of water but it's not liquid. How is that possible? I don't get it
Snow? I'm pretty sure that's the slang term for Cocaine here in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8subie View Post
Audiosavvy gave me 6 points within the span of 7 minutes if it's any consolation. It's in my profile.
See, that's how you know you're on the winning team!!!!!!

Audio has given me more points than any moderator, but then again, I usually call it before it happens, and then me and him have some fun chit-chat BS during the PM stage. I actually enjoy it.

Last edited by Audiosavvy; 11-03-2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: easy there
YourMother'sLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #30
YourMother'sLover
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 76565
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Location: ...grey area, stirring **** up
Vehicle:
CLXX Stricta Parata
Neci!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack ffr1846 View Post

(I work for a hospitable Texas company and I think they don't understand us at all. No, I don't work for Defiant Autospeed)
Obviously, you said hospitable I keed I keed
YourMother'sLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #31
richy_21
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 58670
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Behind the scope
Vehicle:
2005 got muuuuu?

Default

i honestly dont understand why people have to bash people to begin with. If there new just answer the question or link them.
richy_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #32
Audiosavvy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 150794
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Vehicle:
Qcab dakota 4x4
LT1 Formula Firebird

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourMother'sLover View Post
Audio has given me more points than any moderator, but then again, I usually call it before it happens, and then me and him have some fun chit-chat BS during the PM stage. I actually enjoy it.
That's just me talking you down off the ledge. I would be a great negotiator.*


*Just ****ing JUMP already, I gotta go home and watch teh new Ken Block vid3o!
Audiosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #33
YourMother'sLover
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 76565
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Location: ...grey area, stirring **** up
Vehicle:
CLXX Stricta Parata
Neci!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiosavvy View Post
That's just me talking you down off the ledge. I would be a great negotiator.*


*Just ****ing JUMP already, I gotta go home and watch teh new Ken Block vid3o!
I only climb up there for our quality time together
YourMother'sLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #34
XanRules
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 157348
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Benghazi
Vehicle:
1996 JNCO Jorts
Stonewashed Denim

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenow View Post
I know, I have been slacking on reports. But that comes from a "it just wont do any good" apathetic and defeatist attitude on my end. I openly admit that.

Honestly, I feel like a whiner and a tattle tale every time I hit that button. But I have mixed feelings of not wanting to be a rat, and being sick and tired of someone feeling the need to call someone names because they disagree with them.
You and me both.
XanRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #35
69subaru360
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159682
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
1995 WRX
2015 F150

Default

Flaming noobs should get you enough points to be one step away from 30 day TO. Next offense should get you the TO. IMO anyway. I've been here 2 years and never have gotten points or even had to report anyone, so it can't be all that bad. Biggest problem lately is that bugeye WRX's are getting cheap enough to be the new civic and with that you get the kiddies.
69subaru360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #36
Audiosavvy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 150794
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Vehicle:
Qcab dakota 4x4
LT1 Formula Firebird

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69subaru360 View Post
Flaming noobs should get you enough points to be one step away from 30 day TO. Next offense should get you the TO. IMO anyway.
That's pretty much how I do it. Keep in mind that we can give you a different number of points at any time. For example, if you came in flaming, I'd throw 6 points at your face. If you kept it up, I'd throw 15 at you which would put you on a 2-week TO. If you sass me you'll get 3 more. That puts you 1 point from a ban.
Audiosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #37
Byzantium
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 207826
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Katabatic
Vehicle:
85k 2002 WRX
Correct Fitment Crew #034

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenow View Post
blah blah blah blah blah blah first post in the thread
POST REPOrTED SCUMBAG!!!!1
Byzantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #38
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
2007 Lotus Elise
(From General)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenow View Post
But when someone calls YOU an idiot, or calls the entire thread a bunch of idiots, or morons, or the like, fire away. IMO we dont need those people here.
We edit out name calling and depending on how bad it gets, issue points.

Quote:
Who is with me? If enough people step up and call for it, eventually the mods will make changes. They are good like that. We have a good current crop of them. Although Jack is a little old and probably keeps wondering why he cant make moderator changes on the rascal forums.
hey! What? I missed this the first time around. Points for disrespecting yoar elders....uh, I mean forum leaders......

I make plenty of changes. Just ask Audio. He reports my changes. (no, really, he just reported one.....I forget which one....I closed it, whatever it was)

You can also blame me for consolidating all the recent Ken Block Track STi threads.....although that might have been in general. I forget.

What was I saying?
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #39
Audiosavvy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 150794
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Vehicle:
Qcab dakota 4x4
LT1 Formula Firebird

Default

Jack, you're definitely nicer than I am. Name calling = immediate points. I don't usually edit the post either, but I quote it and make reference to their shiny new points in the hopes that others will see it and heed the warning. It's kind of a passive way to warn people to not be dickheads.
Audiosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #40
leecea
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 37359
Join Date: May 2003
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

Default

I like the graduated response that the Mods describe, and the fact that they have discretion to handle different situations with different punishments.

I can see the deterance factor of instant and severe action, but deterance only works if people know about the policy ahead of time - and we've already established that people often don't read the stickies.

Also, if the only option is severe, it's harder to apply in fuzzy situations. For example, there is a difference between "that's a dumb idea" and "that's a stupid idea" and "you're stupid". I think they're all wrong but maybe some more wrong than others.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #41
elevenpoint7five
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 187798
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Elk Grove Village IL
Vehicle:
04 2 liters of
AWESOME!

Default

I've never gotten points Someone should give me some! ::nudges Audio::

The thing that really gets me, is the newbies who respond to newbies and have NO idea what they are talking about. Yes, I know there was a thread about this a while back, but it's still terrible. That's about the only time I lose my temper on someone in the newb section. While it may not be acceptable, it's a lot more understandable than some of the other things people say just because someone isn't as knowledgeable about a specific car part. It's ridiculous. I agree there needs to be harsher punishment, but maybe not immediate banning. What if the points stuck with that person until they had been a member for 1 year or something?
elevenpoint7five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #42
Meat Supply
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 137902
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: traverse city, Mi skeletor
Vehicle:
---- so good
it sucks....

Default

so what yore saying is the newb bashing gets to ya eh?
Meat Supply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #43
beanbeanbean
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132935
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: 8==)~~
Vehicle:
02 rwx
round

Default

where is this "report" button at?
beanbeanbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #44
elevenpoint7five
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 187798
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Elk Grove Village IL
Vehicle:
04 2 liters of
AWESOME!

Default

Under your profile.
elevenpoint7five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #45
godforbid67
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 137168
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: ummm..... Andrewtech ftmfw!
Vehicle:
06 Built SGM WRX
35r, PPG, 280's, PSS9.

Default

Nooobaaasoris !
godforbid67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #46
Chi_San
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 53558
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Deadford, OR
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default

We need a dancing emoticon.
Chi_San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #47
rtmccormick
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 216280
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: NW Indiana
Vehicle:
1998 OBS
Green

Default

i can honestly say from an outsiders perspective that i very rarely visit NASIOC and actively have looked for other forums to replace my need to ever come here. even if i want to search for something to answer a question, i have to wade through 40 posts of people being ******** about the question.

has anyone ever considered that people ARE searching, but when they find a topic on the subject that it's either filled with "use the search button" or other worthless flaming?

i've frequented online forums for many years (the majority of them being for vehicles) and the first thing i do when i'm considering a new vehicle is to find a good forum and research on there to see what i'm going to be dealing with in terms of common problems and recommended mods. on each forum there's always at least a few douche bags with ultra high post counts and early join dates that dedicate their posts almost exclusively to being arrogant and condescending and scaring away new members.

the reality is that on here on here, those few douchebags are in the thousands.

if your entire post is dedicated to being an ass to someone for no reason, why waste the effort? why clutter the forum with unnecessary posts? if the question has already been answered (even if it's a n00b question), why are you responding with "uh n00b use the search button god stupid newbs!" ? if someone has already directed them towards said search button, why do you need to repeat it?

being a dick and jacking around with someone can be fun sometimes, but on here it's really out of control. flame me for being new, truly i don't give a ****. i'm on 3gwrx or indianaimpreza 99% of the time because i want a community of guys that actually GET EXCITED when a new member comes on because they might be able to share more valuable information.

i think it's time NASIOC gets rid of the (albeit valid) reputation of being full of ********. i'm sure there are a good group of guys on here, but they're overrun by pricks.

davenow--i'm glad to see you've reformed because your prior douchebaggery has actually gone far and beyond NASIOC, people actually mention you on other forums as the reason they don't visit here very often.
rtmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #48
godforbid67
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 137168
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: ummm..... Andrewtech ftmfw!
Vehicle:
06 Built SGM WRX
35r, PPG, 280's, PSS9.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmccormick View Post
i can honestly say from an outsiders perspective that i very rarely visit NASIOC and actively have looked for other forums to replace my need to ever come here. even if i want to search for something to answer a question, i have to wade through 40 posts of people being ******** about the question.

has anyone ever considered that people ARE searching, but when they find a topic on the subject that it's either filled with "use the search button" or other worthless flaming?

i've frequented online forums for many years (the majority of them being for vehicles) and the first thing i do when i'm considering a new vehicle is to find a good forum and research on there to see what i'm going to be dealing with in terms of common problems and recommended mods. on each forum there's always at least a few douche bags with ultra high post counts and early join dates that dedicate their posts almost exclusively to being arrogant and condescending and scaring away new members.

the reality is that on here on here, those few douchebags are in the thousands.

if your entire post is dedicated to being an ass to someone for no reason, why waste the effort? why clutter the forum with unnecessary posts? if the question has already been answered (even if it's a n00b question), why are you responding with "uh n00b use the search button god stupid newbs!" ? if someone has already directed them towards said search button, why do you need to repeat it?

being a dick and jacking around with someone can be fun sometimes, but on here it's really out of control. flame me for being new, truly i don't give a ****. i'm on 3gwrx or indianaimpreza 99% of the time because i want a community of guys that actually GET EXCITED when a new member comes on because they might be able to share more valuable information.

i think it's time NASIOC gets rid of the (albeit valid) reputation of being full of ********. i'm sure there are a good group of guys on here, but they're overrun by pricks.

davenow--i'm glad to see you've reformed because your prior douchebaggery has actually gone far and beyond NASIOC, people actually mention you on other forums as the reason they don't visit here very often.
Wah wah wah!!




J/k.
But anywhere you go, ANYWHERE, there are going to be idiots and douchebags. That is life. You just gotta learn to live with it and accept it.
godforbid67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #49
SS/GNX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 216014
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago's South Suburbs
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STi
CGM

Default Booo Hooo

... sniff

... sniff sniff

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

What's with all the crying!

grow some thicker skin all those who are crying
and those who get out of line, grow up or relax or take a chill pill or whatever the hell it takes for you not to be such a d!ck.

Banning after 1 pissed off post or bashing is not even realistic.
I agree, it could be more strict, but come on, be real.

Can't we all just get along!
SS/GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #50
Rickyh
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40453
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Metairie, Louisiana
Default

What I have noticed lately........lots of 200+ members calling others "newb" and using the word "fail" seven times in one sentence. I have not been here as long as some folks, but the tone here has definately changed for the worse over the past two years. It seems like there is a small group who actually tries to answer peoples questions in a respectable and friendly manner, and then there are the rest of em who are just here to inflate their ego.

Times are a changin'
Rickyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEWBIE bashing will not be tolerated here! Subie Gal Newbies & FAQs 5 06-29-2009 05:23 PM
Hi Luke: once and for all, lets decide what tires I'm buying. Your thoughts please. Edvig Tire & Wheel 6 06-04-2003 02:50 PM
Resetting the ECU, once and for all! 7 steps. Legacy SUS Normally Aspirated Powertrain 30 07-23-2001 01:40 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.