Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
REX8
*** Banned ***

Member#: 24038
Chapter/Region: South East
Default Does Anyone Else Have A (small) Problem With the Winter Tire Thread?

First off, no offense to Luke, he's a good guy who helps a lot of people. A GREAT resource for this site!

However:

How can you have a moderator, who's an employee of a tire company, start a winter tire thread which states: "All Winter Tire Questions Go Here"

Then states: "You can also post in this thread but please supply the following information ....

year:
make:
model:

and I will respond directly to your post"

***Where should I post my winter tire questions which I don't need/want answered by Luke, nor only pitched tires that the TireRack carries? And how can an arrangement like this be allowed?

Can Tirerack and Luke have a winter tire thread? Hell yes, it's GREAT. Can they have the ONLY one? Where all posts need to go? How the hell can that be?

C/N: A moderator/tire company employee is telling me I have to post my winter tire question in his thread, where he will allow me to post but only to ask him questions in his provided format. Really?

:runsandhides:
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by REX8; 11-07-2009 at 08:47 AM.
REX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Member#: 60082
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Well, it is a thread he opened. As far as following his rules, it's simply a matter of respect. However, there is nothing binding you not to follow them.

It is just one thread, one that Luke felt like opening and to help out folks here so he doesn't get 50,000 e-mails/phone calls from us.

Now this isn't the universal Winter Tire Thread of Nasioc. It doesn't encompass all Nasioc users. For clarity of ownership and scope, he could have titled it Luke's Official Tire Rack Winter Tire Inquiry/Purchase Thread or something along those lines.
Back Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
REX8
*** Banned ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Road Runner View Post
As far as following his rules, it's simply a matter of respect. However, there is nothing binding you not to follow them.

Now this isn't the universal Winter Tire Thread of Nasioc. It doesn't encompass all Nasioc users.
I think you missed the ONLY part I have a problem with. You are bound, and it is the universal thread:

He is a moderator, thus one certainly must follow his rules. And it clearly is the winter tire thread of nasioc. Quite simply, a mod has told you ALL WINTER TIRE QUESTIONS MUST BE POSTED THERE, right in the title! How can a mod, and a forum sponsor tell us we can ONLY post in this TireRack thread? That's the whole point.

Nothing "Official" should have such an association with a company, nor should a biased party be telling us not to post anywhere else about winter tires!

Take the "all winter tire questions post here" out of the title, and the "official" (or make it the "official tirerack") out, and it's all gravy.

I'm not sure how he thought (as a moderator) he could attempt to direct all the winter tire questions to basically a Tirerack thread on nasioc. How blatant could it be?

Last edited by REX8; 11-07-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
REX8
*** Banned ***

I doubt Luke is enforcing the "all winter tire questions here" aspect...

But then why the title?
Old 11-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

Mods aren't gods. Why do you feel bound? Do you fear the wrath of Luke, fear that he might smite and vulcanize your rear end?

A moderator is largely there to keep the peace and to keep the forum clean of stupidity. He is a moderator because he's an active, helpful member of the Nasioc community, and he's a helpful, knowledgeable fellow.

I'm kind of sorry that you somehow feel bound by the thread. I know I'm not.

I just researched and bought a new set of winter tires (retiring my LM-25s to spring/fall/rally-x use) and I never used that thread in any way, shape, or form (is of very little use for me personally) despite researching on and buying from Tire Rack.

The way I see Luke's own thread is that it is a tool for him to more efficiently handle winter tire questions and sales. It sure beats him talking on the phone all day and repeating a lot of the same info to a lot of different people. Outside of the Subaru Owner <-> Luke <-> TireRack scope, it serves no additional purpose.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
REX8
*** Banned ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Road Runner View Post
Mods aren't gods. Why do you feel bound? Do you fear the wrath of Luke, fear that he might smite and vulcanize your rear end?

A moderator is largely there to keep the peace and to keep the forum clean of stupidity. He is a moderator because he's an active, helpful member of the Nasioc community, and he's a helpful, knowledgeable fellow.

I'm kind of sorry that you somehow feel bound by the thread. I know I'm not.

I just researched and bought a new set of winter tires (retiring my LM-25s to spring/fall/rally-x use) and I never used that thread in any way, shape, or form (is of very little use for me personally) despite researching on and buying from Tire Rack.

The way I see Luke's own thread is that it is a tool for him to more efficiently handle winter tire questions and sales. It sure beats him talking on the phone all day and repeating a lot of the same info to a lot of different people. Outside of the Subaru Owner <-> Luke <-> TireRack scope, it serves no additional purpose.
Yes, I understand the reasoning behind his thread. As I've stated, it's great, and I'm sure it serves him well. Again, I have no problem with that.

You don't care about what Luke is telling you to do, because you don't feel the need to listen to him. That's 100% fine, and I completely agree.

But you've failed to address the point I'm making. Why did he title it like that in the first place?

I don't care that I can ignore it, I care that he's telling everyone they have to post ALL their questions there, in a biased thread.

Whether or not you obey is not the issue, it's the fact that he's telling us to that is the problem. It is exactly because he is a respected forum member, moderator, etc. that he should have seen the conflict of interest, and not have stepped over that line.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:38 AM   #7
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

I think it was titled that way to get people to go there. Do you remember how many "Luke help me...yada yada" threads were popping up?

The specific concern may simply have to do with the context that you hold the title to. For me, I simply hold the title to the realm of Luke and Tire Rack, no more. For you, you see it to also encompass Nasioc. For me, it is his winter tire thread. It's not a Nasoic thread, nor is it even Stickid even after all this time. Heck the fact that it isn't Stickied should give a clue of the context that Nasioc as a whole views the thread.

I don't know. You read into it the way you want. That's the beauty of language. Two people can read the same words yet come away with completely different perceptions of the information.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
Mike Wevrick
RIP 1/19/64 - 7/23/11
Scooby Guru

Member#: 24654
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1957 Taggart Comet
atlasshruggedpart1.com

I think you are taking the thread title too literally. You can start a separate winter tire thread if you want
Mike Wevrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
REX8
*** Banned ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wevrick View Post
I think you are taking the thread title too literally. You can start a separate winter tire thread if you want
Probably right.

The second I have a winter tire inquiry, consider it done!