Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
bigsur1997
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 125475
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Sport Wagon
Silver

Impreza WRX Brembo STI front & rear big brake kit install on 05 WRX Wagon complete!

Hey everyone! I have been meaning to post this for a while, but been really busy. So here it is. I installed the a new Brembo STI upgrade brake kit (front and rear) on my car in June. Purchased it from Scoobytuner.com and have to say those guys were a big help!http://www.scoobytuner.com/products/?&productID=1410 and http://www.scoobytuner.com/products/...productID=1411 Here is a link to the dunlop tires, excellent tire, best I have ever owned period!http://www.dunloptires.com/dunlop/di...ea=Performance

I was going through stock WRX rotors about every 10K miles (50K on car prior to new brakes) and it was getting expensive so I decided to completely upgade. Overall the whole upgrade cost me $5,000 between brakes (about $3K), STi BBS wheels($1K), and fresh new dunlop direzza sport z1 star spec ($1K) It would have been a few hundred more if I didn't install them myself.

I installed these myself with basic auto mechanical knowledge, but DO recommend that if anyone else is installing these, and they aren't mechanically inclined or are apprehensive, to pay a professional to do it since were are talking about the most important part of your car! I fix airplanes for a living so I figured I would give it a shot.

Front brakes were fairly easy, rears were a bit harder, but overall I give this install a 4 on the scale of 1-10 (10 being hard). If you can bolt on an exhaust you should be able to do this, but seek the help of a professional with any questions, do NOT just assume. Bleeding and making sure everything is tight was the hardest part. This is a BOLT ON kit more or less. I did have some minor fabrication to make the front head shields stay on and work, but other than that everything lined up pretty well. The rear parking brake DOES work with this kit. Stainless steel lines were very east to install. I did this install by myself without a car lift (used regular jack) on a full saturday including the test-drive. I completely flushed the brake system and used a synthetic DOT approved 3/4 fluid. There is less than 1/4" clearance from caliper to rim of bbs wheels, but they do clear even with balancing weights on the inside lip, very close though. I could reinstall the old WRX brakes if I wanted to, but why bother now! I do have the old WRX brakes (4 rotors, calipers, pads, lines if anyone is looking for a set)

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I would be glad to help with other installs! Great brakes, love them! Have 10K miles on them now and they are just as good as new and I brake very hard; they can take the abuse. Minimal brake fade after repeated hard braking, but over all A-

Here are some finished pics:

More pics on the way soon.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by bigsur1997; 12-14-2009 at 05:37 PM.
bigsur1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
bigsur1997
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX Sport Wagon
Silver

has anyone else done this install as well?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
25rsti
Scooby Guru

Member#: 166324
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
3 turbos &n NA
@DBlockSTi

whats the difference between your Brembo brake kit and the ones on an STi? by the way, looks great!
25rsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Badler
Scooby Guru

Member#: 133597
Chapter/Region: SCIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25rsti View Post
whats the difference between your Brembo brake kit and the ones on an STi?
Nothing.
Badler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
bigsur1997
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX Sport Wagon
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25rsti View Post
whats the difference between your Brembo brake kit and the ones on an STi? by the way, looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmsadler View Post
Nothing.
Not much, there are some differences though. After a lot of research and phone calls I managed to get a hold of a Brembo representative and he explained that there were a few small differences for the better. This kit has better quality rotors than the oem sti brakes and are made from a different steel alloy, zinc coated, and can choose either cross-drilled or slotted. Both are vented but I believe most rotors are vented at this point. They are slightly bigger; I believe the stock STi rotors are 12.8 and the ones I bought are 13.1, better pads than oem stock sti pads, but same caliper in the front. This kit comes with stainless braded lines, not sure if stock sti has those or not. He also said that this kit is a bit lighter thanks to the different rotors and pads, and he explained that this kit supposedly stops a few feet shorter than the stock sti brakes. I am sure there are several reasons for this not just the brakes. So I put this to the test, my friend has a 05 sti w/ 34K miles and w/ new rotors and pads. We both weigh about 160ish. After I installed this kit we did about 10 brakes tests between the two cars on an old airport ramp by my house (super fun!) and my Wagon did stop about 10-15ft shorter at best and I had very minimal brake fade, he said he had some significant brake fade. We swapped cars and did it again and mine felt better, he also agreed. I would also give credit to the slotted rotors with helping to release built up gas between pads/rotor surface I guess and the tires, he was running the oem Bridgstones and I have the Dunlops. After these tests his brakes felt a little hotter to the touch. However, the pads I have which are brembo autocross pads are extremely dusty and I have given up on cleaning my wheels at this point but they are amazing!

So to sum up:
Brembo Upgrade Kit:
.6" bigger, 1 peice, stronger rotors and are slotted or cross-drilled
Stainless bradded lines (goodrich)
Autocross/track pads
Lighter system
Stop about 10-15ft. better then oem STI brakes
Less brake fade

OEM STI Brakes:
Heavier
More brake fade
Non slotted/cross-drilled rotors
Rubber brake lines? not sure on this one
Further stopping distance

Last edited by bigsur1997; 12-14-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
PARANOID56
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22035
Vehicle:
2003 Brocoma DCab
71 FJ40, 13 DRZ400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur1997 View Post

So to sum up:
Brembo Upgrade Kit:
.6" bigger, 1 peice, stronger rotors and are slotted or cross-drilled
Stainless bradded lines (goodrich)
Autocross/track pads
Lighter system How so?
Stop about 10-15ft. better then oem STI brakes becuase of the pads
Less brake fade also has to do with the pads

OEM STI Brakes:
Heavier i guess if you get drilled all those holes could add up to a few OZs
More brake fade again thats the pads
Non slotted/cross-drilled rotors not really a good thing sometimes, sure on a street car it looks cool
Rubber brake lines? not sure on this one if you are swaping them onto a non brembo car, you usually do SS brake lines at the same time
Further stopping distance pads again
i did this swap on my 06wrx and loved it. i used sti swaped brembos. i think for the full job i was under 1500 bucks. its a great upgrade over the stock stuff.
PARANOID56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
bigsur1997
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX Sport Wagon
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOID56 View Post
i did this swap on my 06wrx and loved it. i used sti swaped brembos. i think for the full job i was under 1500 bucks. its a great upgrade over the stock stuff.
Yeah I love it to man- mine cost close to 5 g's because I had to buy those damn BBS wheels and dunlops were 170 a piece wheels were 1100 bucks so that was 2 grand of the 5 lol. Plus new lugs, brake fluid, new jack, mount/balance the tires/wheels...etc. Couldn't find any good deals on used STi brembos at the time and I needed brakes bad so I went for the new purchace.

As far as the weight he just said they're different rotors than on stock sti brembos, stronger/lighter on all 4 so I guess that adds up to a few pounds tops maybe... dunno I am sold on the slotted rotors though for sure. I should see if my buddy will get the same pads as me and re-do the test, i'll take pics-soon to come test #2
Weight difference between the stock 2 cars could be a factor too:
05 WRX Wagon is 3,165lbs
05 STI Sedan is 3,263lbs
Are the oem STI brembos an easy bolt on as well, sure it was the same?

Last edited by bigsur1997; 12-14-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
PARANOID56
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2003 Brocoma DCab
71 FJ40, 13 DRZ400SM

lol yea, i know how expensive stuff gets once it starts to pile on
on my 06 it was a simple bolt on thing with no adapters. just a different rear rotor and i happen to buy my fronts with rotors that had dual patterns in it.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
Soflo Wrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 229358
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2007 Wrx
Obsidian Black Pearl

I will be doing a similar upgrade to my 07 wrx. Were you able to complete your project with basic tools?
Soflo Wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
PARANOID56
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2003 Brocoma DCab
71 FJ40, 13 DRZ400SM

i know on my 06 i was.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
ButtDyno
Street's closed, pizza boy

Member#: 17301
Vehicle:
is the "dark side"
06 Evo #7 STU, 03 IS300

Quote:
I was going through stock WRX rotors about every 10K miles (50K on car prior to new brakes) and it was getting expensive so I decided to completely upgade.
Time out. Why were you going through stock WRX rotors every 10K miles? That is not remotely normal. I got like 60-70K out of my fronts including many many autocrosses and a track event. Stuck caliper? Dragging the brakes? Pre-shaving your rotors? Track stuff?

You can buy a lot of OEM or OEMish rotors for $5K.

Quote:
After I installed this kit we did about 10 brakes tests between the two cars on an old airport ramp by my house (super fun!) and my Wagon did stop about 10-15ft shorter at best and I had very minimal brake fade, he said he had some significant brake fade. We swapped cars and did it again and mine felt better, he also agreed. I would also give credit to the slotted rotors with helping to release built up gas between pads/rotor surface I guess and the tires, he was running the oem Bridgstones and I have the Dunlops.
Try switching wheels, and see what happens. The Dunlop Z1s are better tires than the RE070s. And the slots are not helping your stopping distance in any appreciable way, maybe a little extra bite, but you are still traction limited by the tires, and the gas thing should be a non issue with modern pads.

How did you measure the distance? Datalogger? If not, you are never going to know exactly where the car started decelerating.

Etc, etc.
ButtDyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
bigsur1997
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX Sport Wagon
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soflo Wrx View Post
I will be doing a similar upgrade to my 07 wrx. Were you able to complete your project with basic tools?
Yes, nothing special required for mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtDyno View Post
Time out. Why were you going through stock WRX rotors every 10K miles? That is not remotely normal. I got like 60-70K out of my fronts including many many autocrosses and a track event. Stuck caliper? Dragging the brakes? Pre-shaving your rotors? Track stuff?

You can buy a lot of OEM or OEMish rotors for $5K.

Try switching wheels, and see what happens. The Dunlop Z1s are better tires than the RE070s. And the slots are not helping your stopping distance in any appreciable way, maybe a little extra bite, but you are still traction limited by the tires, and the gas thing should be a non issue with modern pads.

How did you measure the distance? Datalogger? If not, you are never going to know exactly where the car started decelerating.
Etc, etc.
More Reason Why I Upgraded
Good question man, I do not really know. Every since I bought the car new rotors were "warping" after around 10Kish. I know this is a debatable thing but we shall use the term to describe the vibrations... So since car was under warranty (still is) they would replace (not shave) the front rotors each time except they did shave them once. After the second time replacing them they changed the pads, calipers, did an alignment, and measured everything in detail to make sure it was proper. Same thing happened after about 15K this time so I was tired of having to do this every year so i upgraded in hopes that it would fix the problem. Also the tech said that this was a common problem in our cars and he was replacing them on other models too... Since I have had new brakes I have not had a single problem and i abuse the hell out of them lol. I still have every old rotor they took off my car (total of 5 sets of fronts) in my garage. What is a good way of accurately measuring them to see if they really are warped?
I was hard on the old brakes, but never tracked it just fast back roads here in WV with no traffic They got so "Warped" the last time that it seriously shook the whole freaking car bad!

How We Measured:
It was hard but we started at a painted line w/cones (has a grove in concrete that let us know when to start braking), had a person place the cone where we started braking if it was before or after the line, roll measure from there to where the car was stopped (front tire to front tire). Then a few side by side runs, then the last few times we used varying speed 70/100/130 and the overall average was 10-15 ft. I brakes shorter every time. Tried to use these formulas to...
http://www.csgnetwork.com/stopdistcalc.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_2054775_calc...-distance.html

As for swapping wheels they are the same wheels, but I can't swap thought because his STI is an 05 and they have the different bolt pattern (sti) 5x114 vs 5x100 (wrx) He is buying the Dunlop's soon though so we can redo then

Last edited by bigsur1997; 12-16-2009 at 11:36 AM.