Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 14, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
South West Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
michael_cano
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 227643
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Las Cruces, NM to Ft. Hood, TX
Vehicle:
2008 Stock as Hell
:( STi

Unhappy Octane problem in new mexico

i came from washington where they sell 92 octane at every pump, and my maps are for 93. wondering where u can find good gas in las cruces.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
michael_cano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
fibuz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 53410
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Tucson, AZ / Port Angeles, WA
Vehicle:
BE-> GD->GR->SG->BL
WAawd.org

Default

You can't.
fibuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
michael_cano
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 227643
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Las Cruces, NM to Ft. Hood, TX
Vehicle:
2008 Stock as Hell
:( STi

Default

lol, i know this place is like satans a**hole!
michael_cano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
blkscooby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44422
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 LGT
OBP

Default

Your only hope is too retune for 91 or switch to E85 with what that entails.
blkscooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
wgr73
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 232458
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Las Cruces, El Paso
Vehicle:
2008 STi (OBP)
CAMTuning.com

Default

I had to get retuned for 91 in Chicago for the lack of 93 here in Cruces :-/ Still put down 300HP on the Dyno at P and L!
wgr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
michael_cano
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 227643
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Las Cruces, NM to Ft. Hood, TX
Vehicle:
2008 Stock as Hell
:( STi

Default

^^^^^^^^^^^^^not to get off topic, i think i saw you last night on triviz, nice exhaust that car is beautiful, i was behind you when i turned right on n.main and you went straight on elks
michael_cano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
shwoop_soobie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102323
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott AZ
Vehicle:
99 power poles
beware

Default

heck i have been to some places in utah and nm that dont even have 91oct
shwoop_soobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
SpodeOne
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 229077
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: New Mexico
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

yeah a lot of the gas stations out here don't even have 91 most of them only go up to 90.
SpodeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
ktmrider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 125687
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT - 6MT
Black

Default

If you don't mind the 20 mile drive goto Anthony. The TX side sells 93 ( or at least they did a few years ago ).
FWIW the higher altitude acts as a natural detonation buffer, one reason they don't sell 93 in NM, AZ, or CO.
ktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
blkscooby
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44422
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Vehicle:
2005 LGT
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
If you don't mind the 20 mile drive goto Anthony. The TX side sells 93 ( or at least they did a few years ago ).
FWIW the higher altitude acts as a natural detonation buffer, one reason they don't sell 93 in NM, AZ, or CO.
How do you figure? Higher altitude means thinner air, means turbo has to work harder to reach same boost target (pre-turbo/ post-turbo compression ratio is higher), means hotter discharge air (due to declining turbo efficiency), means more tendency to knock. That is assuming the same boost is being targeted at all altitudes.

Now, also depends on the tune as there is a compensation table for altitude that reduces the maximum boost, but it has to be used properly. But regardless, it is not a positive effect of higher altitude.
blkscooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Stames_wiltz
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 143264
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Utah
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkscooby View Post
How do you figure? Higher altitude means thinner air, means turbo has to work harder to reach same boost target (pre-turbo/ post-turbo compression ratio is higher), means hotter discharge air (due to declining turbo efficiency), means more tendency to knock. That is assuming the same boost is being targeted at all altitudes.

Now, also depends on the tune as there is a compensation table for altitude that reduces the maximum boost, but it has to be used properly. But regardless, it is not a positive effect of higher altitude.
I actually talked to the President of Kellerstrass (supplier in Utah for Sunoco race fuel). I asked why Utah doesn't sell 93 octane. He said because of altitude. In Reality, Utah shouldn't even have 91 Octane. I said I highly disagree, what is the reasoning for this?

He then said that for every 1,000 ft in elevation, you gain 1 octane point. You don't have as much oxygen and therefore have less of a need for higher octane that requires a longer burn for the added atmosphere. He then went on to say that if they were to bring the blend of east coast 93 octane to Utah, it would end up being similar to a 97 octane. Vice versa, our 91 at sea level is like there 87 octane.

Welcome to the land of poop gas and no air It is no wonder East Coasters can make so much more power...
Stames_wiltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
szeny
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 81383
Join Date: Feb 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Paradise Valley
Vehicle:
07 335i e90
TiAG/Dakota Black

Default

screw e85.. just get meth...or start buying race gas and mixing
szeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #13
ktmrider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 125687
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT - 6MT
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stames_wiltz View Post
I actually talked to the President of Kellerstrass (supplier in Utah for Sunoco race fuel). I asked why Utah doesn't sell 93 octane. He said because of altitude. In Reality, Utah shouldn't even have 91 Octane. I said I highly disagree, what is the reasoning for this?

He then said that for every 1,000 ft in elevation, you gain 1 octane point. You don't have as much oxygen and therefore have less of a need for higher octane that requires a longer burn for the added atmosphere. He then went on to say that if they were to bring the blend of east coast 93 octane to Utah, it would end up being similar to a 97 octane. Vice versa, our 91 at sea level is like there 87 octane.

Welcome to the land of poop gas and no air It is no wonder East Coasters can make so much more power...
Worded much better than I could have done.
Less Oxygen content per volume of "air". The A in A/F should not really be air, should be Oxygen.
At least we call the sensor monitoring the spend gases Oxygen....
ktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
wgr73
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 232458
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Las Cruces, El Paso
Vehicle:
2008 STi (OBP)
CAMTuning.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_cano View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^not to get off topic, i think i saw you last night on triviz, nice exhaust that car is beautiful, i was behind you when i turned right on n.main and you went straight on elks
Lol, yup that was me!!! Lol. I was heading to my gfs (fiance now) house. Thanks I appreciate it!! What were you driving?
wgr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #15
michael_cano
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 227643
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Las Cruces, NM to Ft. Hood, TX
Vehicle:
2008 Stock as Hell
:( STi

Default

2005 wrx limited w/blitz nur spec u can hear from like el paso!! lol.
michael_cano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #16
fistandauntilus
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 145533
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

Default

no place in the region carries anything above 91. if you are worried about DET best thing would be to get a retune for 91.
fistandauntilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #17
wgr73
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 232458
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Las Cruces, El Paso
Vehicle:
2008 STi (OBP)
CAMTuning.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_cano View Post
2005 wrx limited w/blitz nur spec u can hear from like el paso!! lol.

Lol im surprised I didnt notice you?!
wgr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #18
06rexwagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 114730
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited Wag
9.9@142

Default

E85 is cheap and available in Las Cruces. You'll need bigger injectors than pinks to support a vf on E85 though. I've seen too many motors with meth kits fail. Even with a failsafe, you can lose a motor if the system fails. It's just not worth it in my opinion.
06rexwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #19
wgr73
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 232458
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Las Cruces, El Paso
Vehicle:
2008 STi (OBP)
CAMTuning.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06rexwagon View Post
E85 is cheap and available in Las Cruces. You'll need bigger injectors than pinks to support a vf on E85 though. I've seen too many motors with meth kits fail. Even with a failsafe, you can lose a motor if the system fails. It's just not worth it in my opinion.
How much is an E85 kit, and what all is included? (link?)
wgr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #20
06rexwagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 114730
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited Wag
9.9@142

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgr73 View Post
How much is an E85 kit, and what all is included? (link?)
There's not really a 'kit' for them. You just need injectors large enough to support your setup on E85. That usually means about 30% bigger than what you need on pump gas. You'll need a walbro for injectors up to ~1000cc and dual pumps beyond that. I run 1100cc injectors with a walbro in tank and bosch 044 inline. Plumbing is all -6 AN lines using the stock return. You'll have to get a custom tune for E85.
EDIT:
Here's a link to an 08 STi like yours that I tuned first on pump gas then later on E85.

http://camtuning.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1184

There are a bunch of other cars in there on e85 if you want to see charts for stock turbo sti's, 2 liter wrx's with VF turbos on E85, etc.

Last edited by 06rexwagon; 01-19-2010 at 12:20 PM.
06rexwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #21
wgr73
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 232458
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Las Cruces, El Paso
Vehicle:
2008 STi (OBP)
CAMTuning.com

Default

Hmmm...If I were to do this would I still be able to run 91?...and possibly lower octane like 88, 89??


Quote:
Originally Posted by 06rexwagon View Post
There's not really a 'kit' for them. You just need injectors large enough to support your setup on E85. That usually means about 30% bigger than what you need on pump gas. You'll need a walbro for injectors up to ~1000cc and dual pumps beyond that. I run 1100cc injectors with a walbro in tank and bosch 044 inline. Plumbing is all -6 AN lines using the stock return. You'll have to get a custom tune for E85.
EDIT:
Here's a link to an 08 STi like yours that I tuned first on pump gas then later on E85.

http://camtuning.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1184

There are a bunch of other cars in there on e85 if you want to see charts for stock turbo sti's, 2 liter wrx's with VF turbos on E85, etc.

Last edited by wgr73; 01-20-2010 at 05:12 PM.
wgr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #22
06rexwagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 114730
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited Wag
9.9@142

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgr73 View Post
Hmmm...If I were to do this would I still be able to run 91?...and possibly lower octane like 88, 89??
no, unless you're able to reflash the ecu. You'll have to run a different tune for gasoline. If you have an AP or tactrix cable you can switch maps if needed.
06rexwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #23
wgr73
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 232458
Join Date: Dec 2009
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Las Cruces, El Paso
Vehicle:
2008 STi (OBP)
CAMTuning.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06rexwagon View Post
no, unless you're able to reflash the ecu. You'll have to run a different tune for gasoline. If you have an AP or tactrix cable you can switch maps if needed.
Hmmm, ok. I may consider doing this. The only thing that scares me is going on a road trip to, say, Phoenix/Tucson (which I make every now and then)...or to Denver...ect, and not finding E85. Other than that in Las Cruces its available pretty easily. I guess I'll have to do more research as to how available it is Thanks!!!
wgr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #24
sje323
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194509
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Chandler
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
World Rally Blue

Default

just invest in a tactrix cable like he said. you can then have the different octane maps on your laptop and flash them to your ecu when you need/want to.
sje323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #25
06rexwagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 114730
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Limited Wag
9.9@142

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgr73 View Post
Hmmm, ok. I may consider doing this. The only thing that scares me is going on a road trip to, say, Phoenix/Tucson (which I make every now and then)...or to Denver...ect, and not finding E85. Other than that in Las Cruces its available pretty easily. I guess I'll have to do more research as to how available it is Thanks!!!
Get a cable. You'll be able to switch back and forth easily. You have to drive easy on the 1st tank going from E85 to gas or gas to E85 because the maps are so different and your fuel will be a mixture of the two. Other than that, I say go for it. I come to Cruces occasionally (I'm from there) and can tune your car there. If you want to do the tune on a dyno you can come up to Albuquerque and I'll get you set up.
06rexwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apparently, cars in New Mexico have more sexy than cars in regular Mexico. markman Off-Topic 7 08-18-2009 08:26 AM
Octane in New Mexico Turbo4me South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC 22 09-12-2002 06:35 PM
SCCA Rallycross in New Mexico Sergeant_V South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC 7 12-30-2001 08:42 AM
WRX's in New Mexico... system_s4000 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 3 12-01-2001 02:38 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.