Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
South West Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #1601
sti1911
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280080
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott, az
Vehicle:
2011 wrx/sti sedan
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Random thought, tear the rifle down and get out a flashlight and look at the feed ramp and see if it is flush or just below the chamber... if the ramp is jacked up it will ruin the whole thing.....
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
sti1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #1602
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
1997 Outback

Default

The feed ramps look pretty good to me. They are M4 feed ramps, and while they don't go very far into the upper reciever, they do. I'll see if I can grab a pic.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #1603
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
1997 Outback

Default




shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #1604
TwinscrollGT35R
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256810
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Default

Those ramps do not look to good. They look short and sharp.

What ammo are you using?
TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #1605
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
1997 Outback

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinscrollGT35R View Post
Those ramps do not look to good. They look short and sharp.

What ammo are you using?
They are sharp. When just pushing a round over them by hand, it will sometimes 'grab' the bullet. New Winchester white-box 55 grain FMJ from Wal-Mart and some Federal.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #1606
CavemanAZ
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 142258
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: So easy... Even I could do it
Vehicle:
2005 SWRT
Replica

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemoves View Post
When chambering a round, the bolt stops when the round is only about 4/5ths of the way into the chamber. Most of the time, I have to drop the mag to get the round out. Forward assist does not typically do anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemoves View Post
The forward assist doesn't do anything when it happens. Chamber looks good--but I don't have much to compare it to.
These are locking lug issues. The lugs on the end of the bolt are not rotating/seating behind the lugs in the barrel extension.
Other than dirt, SOME of the causes could be;
  • Improper barrel alignment (check barrel indexing pin)
  • Improper bolt rotation during chamber **
  • Improperly manufactured barrel extension

** Hold bolt assembly with bolt retracted and facing away from you. "Flick" the assembly in a downward motion, and the bolt/cam pin should easily extend.

EDIT: The receiver ramps look good, but the left barrel extension ramp appears to have excess material protruding along the right side of the channel, near the center ramp guide.
Also,

Last edited by CavemanAZ; 09-04-2012 at 04:27 AM.
CavemanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #1607
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
1997 Outback

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiCaveman View Post

** Hold bolt assembly with bolt retracted and facing away from you. "Flick" the assembly in a downward motion, and the bolt/cam pin should easily extend.
Sorry, I don't understand...are you saying I would be holding the bcg horizontal and flick the gas key? or, hold the bcg vertical, bolt facing the ground, then flick the back of the bcg (the flick breaking the tension of the rings and gravity pulling the bolt into an extended postion)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiCaveman View Post
EDIT: The receiver ramps look good, but the left barrel extension ramp appears to have excess material protruding along the right side of the channel, near the center ramp guide.
Also,
There is...the copper colored stuff you see on it is, well, copper. Simply running a round through there (manually feeding a round, but mimicking the the natural path of said round) sometimes causes the bullet to 'snag' on that edge of the ramp. My guess is that this resistance is causing enough resistance to slow the bolt down enough to prevent it from fully chambering the round.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #1608
C-grunt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152713
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: North Peoria
Vehicle:
2010 G37 Sedan
Gray

Default

He is saying to swing the bcg in a downward motion to see I the bolt extends out. It also should stay in the extended position if you stand it up on the bolt.

I'm thinking that you might have a problem with your feed ramps if you can feel a ledge and rounds are hanging up on it.

Migh want to send it back to the company and let them handle the problem. What brand is it? I don't know a RMA.
C-grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #1609
sti1911
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280080
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott, az
Vehicle:
2011 wrx/sti sedan
Dark Grey Metallic

Default



first gun i've bought thats actually a tax write off...
sti1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #1610
IVIattIVIan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 295602
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: In a glass case of Emotion
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti1911

first gun i've bought thats actually a tax write off...
Rad!!!!
IVIattIVIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #1611
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
1997 Outback

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
He is saying to swing the bcg in a downward motion to see I the bolt extends out. It also should stay in the extended position if you stand it up on the bolt.

I'm thinking that you might have a problem with your feed ramps if you can feel a ledge and rounds are hanging up on it.

Migh want to send it back to the company and let them handle the problem. What brand is it? I don't know a RMA.
bcg is good...enough tension to hold it up, not so much that it can't be 'swung down.' It is a Daniel Defense. I'm still waiting on the promised RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) so they can look at it. My guess is that they'll just throw a new upper on it and send it back to me--which I would be fine with. I just want a reliable rifle.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #1612
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
1997 Outback

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti1911 View Post


first gun i've bought thats actually a tax write off...
win!!
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #1613
C-grunt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152713
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: North Peoria
Vehicle:
2010 G37 Sedan
Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemoves View Post
bcg is good...enough tension to hold it up, not so much that it can't be 'swung down.' It is a Daniel Defense. I'm still waiting on the promised RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) so they can look at it. My guess is that they'll just throw a new upper on it and send it back to me--which I would be fine with. I just want a reliable rifle.
Daniel Defense will take care of you.
C-grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #1614
TwinscrollGT35R
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256810
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Default

Anyone mess with a slide-fire stock yet? Was thinking about picking one up to mess with
TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #1615
C-grunt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152713
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: North Peoria
Vehicle:
2010 G37 Sedan
Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinscrollGT35R View Post
Anyone mess with a slide-fire stock yet? Was thinking about picking one up to mess with
My brother in law has one for his AK74. Works pretty well. I wouldnt buy one as I think its a waste of money and ammo but it does work.
C-grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #1616
TwinscrollGT35R
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256810
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Default

Oh yes its a huge waste of money.. but the fpsRussia guy made it look like a **** ton of fun. So I might pick one up with a 100 round drum. Its not a permanent piece. So even if its a weekend toy then sell it.. should still be a kick in the pants. After shooting bmg so much now.. i gotta get a new skirt for the ar to spice up our relationship.. otherwise I'm going to dump her.. she doesn't have the kick in the pants fun factor anymore. And I already have been sleeping with her sister the hk mp5
TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #1617
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
1997 Outback

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
Daniel Defense will take care of you.
Sent it back to them today to have them look at. Thus far, they've not been impressive, but we'll see what they say.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #1618
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
1997 Outback

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinscrollGT35R View Post
Oh yes its a huge waste of money.. but the fpsRussia guy made it look like a **** ton of fun. So I might pick one up with a 100 round drum. Its not a permanent piece. So even if its a weekend toy then sell it.. should still be a kick in the pants. After shooting bmg so much now.. i gotta get a new skirt for the ar to spice up our relationship.. otherwise I'm going to dump her.. she doesn't have the kick in the pants fun factor anymore. And I already have been sleeping with her sister the hk mp5
shot a select-fire mp5 a while back...what a fun gun!...gotta have deep pockets for all that 9mm though
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #1619
TwinscrollGT35R
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256810
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemoves View Post


Now I am going to state up front. I just got home for the range. So yes its a tad dirty. I'm only posting this so shemoves can see what another one looks like. This is from a S&W M&P15 a4 upper

Mine has never had an issue. Even with it sitting in the dirt with the 50 cal muzzle blasts of sand and dirt all over it. I can pick it up and its 100%
TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #1620
TwinscrollGT35R
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256810
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Default

I'll get it all clean and post up another pic in a bit. So I don't get burned at the stake for having a dirty tool.
TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #1621
C-grunt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152713
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: North Peoria
Vehicle:
2010 G37 Sedan
Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinscrollGT35R View Post
I'll get it all clean and post up another pic in a bit. So I don't get burned at the stake for having a dirty tool.
I dont think Ive cleaned my Colt in about a thousand rounds. Many of them being cheapo Russian stuff and a lot being with the can on it. ARs need to be oiled not necessarily cleaned.
C-grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #1622
bobturismo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 42145
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cruizin' down the street in my
Vehicle:
6-4 jockin da bish-
es and slappin the hoes.

Default

wubb wubb wub

Last edited by bobturismo; 09-13-2012 at 10:41 PM.
bobturismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #1623
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
1997 Outback

Default

Thanks! As I suspected, it looks to be the ramps. On mine, you can see where the sharp edge of the right side of the left feed ramp has a good deposit of copper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinscrollGT35R View Post


Now I am going to state up front. I just got home for the range. So yes its a tad dirty. I'm only posting this so shemoves can see what another one looks like. This is from a S&W M&P15 a4 upper

Mine has never had an issue. Even with it sitting in the dirt with the 50 cal muzzle blasts of sand and dirt all over it. I can pick it up and its 100%
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #1624
sti1911
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280080
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott, az
Vehicle:
2011 wrx/sti sedan
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Hey any shooters up in the Prescott area, I finally got moved up and was able to bring some of the toys up, let me know when and where to meet up for shooting... I need some trigger therapy soon...
sti1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #1625
NAZSTI
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 164516
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Northern AZ STI hence username
Vehicle:
2004 STI
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti1911 View Post
Hey any shooters up in the Prescott area, I finally got moved up and was able to bring some of the toys up, let me know when and where to meet up for shooting... I need some trigger therapy soon...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1339508

Read post 1393...this is a great place to shoot in the Prescott area. Let's do this soon!
NAZSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SWIC Photo Thread - like photography? Post here. bObby South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC 1911 09-12-2014 02:34 AM
The Official SWIC Dog Thread kpluiten South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC 87 10-12-2011 08:53 PM
Official: SWIC phone thread aaron04 South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC 34 06-30-2010 05:24 PM
**Official** SWIC menstration thread. Dirty Taco South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC 9 06-25-2008 12:49 AM
Gun people - Kimber Pro Tac II, or HK USP compact??? Yes, ANOTHER gun thread..... Subasaurus Rex Off-Topic 9 11-11-2003 11:24 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.