Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
South West Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #1626
madmax_087
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197077
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: AZIC Mesa
Vehicle:
1992 Dodge Ram W150
BAN CORINATOR

Lightbulb

HA! AR problems are amusing. Once I thought I had a problem with my AK, but I was mistaken.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
madmax_087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #1627
TwinscrollGT35R
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256810
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Default

Least we AR guys buy American! ..j/k
TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #1628
C-grunt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152713
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: North Peoria
Vehicle:
2010 G37 Sedan
Gray

Default

[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax_087 View Post
HA! AR problems are amusing. Once I thought I had a problem with my AK, but I was mistaken.
While I believe the AK platform to be one of the best, dont fool yourself into believing the hype that it is infallible. There is a wired hook along the inside of the reciever that is prone to fail and when it does your trigger wont work. Also the barrels are press fit into the reciever. Which mean that a barrel change cannot be done with simple hand tools like many other rifles.
C-grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #1629
sti1911
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280080
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott, az
Vehicle:
2011 wrx/sti sedan
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

I will settle this argument of AR vs AK...


Buy a Garand....
sti1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #1630
AWDshenanigans
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197856
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: 'merikuh
Vehicle:
2010 FJ Cruiser
Sandstorm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti1911 View Post
I will settle this argument of AR vs AK...


Buy a Garand....
Apples and oranges. The Garand is a higher quality weapon, but tactically dissimilar. Top loader with, what, 1/6th the round capacity? Don't get me wrong, it's a great gun, but it's like comparing 67 mustang to brand new Yamaha R1.

To weigh in on the AR vs AK, if you have $400, buy an AK. If you have $4000, buy an AR with a gas piston system. It's like the Glock vs 1911 guys. Yeah, a nighthawk is better higher quality than a Glock, but a Taurus 1911 isn't. The round size argument is null at that point because you can pick whatever round you want for that much money.

Last edited by AWDshenanigans; 09-12-2012 at 05:47 PM.
AWDshenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #1631
C-grunt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152713
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: North Peoria
Vehicle:
2010 G37 Sedan
Gray

Default

4 grand I'll buy a couple Colts and several thousand rounds of practice ammo.
C-grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #1632
sti1911
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280080
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott, az
Vehicle:
2011 wrx/sti sedan
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
4 grand I'll buy a couple Colts and several thousand rounds of practice ammo.
acr suppressor case of mags and a crap load of ammo lol oh and optics lol
sti1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #1633
C-grunt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152713
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: North Peoria
Vehicle:
2010 G37 Sedan
Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti1911 View Post
acr suppressor case of mags and a crap load of ammo lol oh and optics lol
Yep.

Most people dont understand that the weapon you carry really doesnt matter as long as its quality and wont fail you. You are the weapon. Like the old saying goes:

Amatuers argue equipment
Professionals argue tactics and logistics.

Mindset > Skillset > Toolset
C-grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #1634
sti1911
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280080
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott, az
Vehicle:
2011 wrx/sti sedan
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
Yep.

Most people dont understand that the weapon you carry really doesnt matter as long as its quality and wont fail you. You are the weapon. Like the old saying goes:

Amatuers argue equipment
Professionals argue tactics and logistics.

Mindset > Skillset > Toolset
yep, all i ask of my rifle is that it works no matter what...
I have an ak, a busmaster (boo and hiss all you like its NEVER failed me) and a cetme (using G3 mags) all of them are 99.9% reliable... no gun is ever 100% in my book, something and and will go wrong eventually
sti1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #1635
C-grunt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152713
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: North Peoria
Vehicle:
2010 G37 Sedan
Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti1911 View Post
yep, all i ask of my rifle is that it works no matter what...
I have an ak, a busmaster (boo and hiss all you like its NEVER failed me) and a cetme (using G3 mags) all of them are 99.9% reliable... no gun is ever 100% in my book, something and and will go wrong eventually
Bushmaster makes a good rifle. It might not have the specs that I want and they do cut corners but they tend to be reliable. My duty rifle broke several times but has never failed to feed and fire.
C-grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #1636
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
1997 Outback

Default

Possible ammo GB on AZFF--thought I'd give everyone a heads up.

http://www.arizonafirearmsforum.com/...edom-Munitions
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #1637
sti1911
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280080
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott, az
Vehicle:
2011 wrx/sti sedan
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
Bushmaster makes a good rifle. It might not have the specs that I want and they do cut corners but they tend to be reliable. My duty rifle broke several times but has never failed to feed and fire.
I break stuff off my rifle all the time, but she will still shoot...

I am a bit of a old schooler at times too though, my next rifle is going to be a .577/450 M-H just our of the shear principal that i will be making my own brass and casting my own bullets, all i need to stock pile for it is BP and large pistol primers... and maybe some lead ingots so i can have them ready and not have to fight wheel weights... I know not a fancy "High Speed Low Drag" gun but i like old school stuff... and i have been shooting all the tactical crap (and a lot of whats out there is exactly that) i feel its time to slow down and go old school again. besides the crooks, sorry meant to say government, doesn't consider it a gun... tell that to 10,000+ zulu's that met it in the hands of the Brits in South Africa over the coarse of that campaign...
sti1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #1638
C-grunt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152713
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: North Peoria
Vehicle:
2010 G37 Sedan
Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti1911 View Post
I break stuff off my rifle all the time, but she will still shoot...

I am a bit of a old schooler at times too though, my next rifle is going to be a .577/450 M-H just our of the shear principal that i will be making my own brass and casting my own bullets, all i need to stock pile for it is BP and large pistol primers... and maybe some lead ingots so i can have them ready and not have to fight wheel weights... I know not a fancy "High Speed Low Drag" gun but i like old school stuff... and i have been shooting all the tactical crap (and a lot of whats out there is exactly that) i feel its time to slow down and go old school again. besides the crooks, sorry meant to say government, doesn't consider it a gun... tell that to 10,000+ zulu's that met it in the hands of the Brits in South Africa over the coarse of that campaign...
I love old school rifles. Im really considering buying a Winchester 70 or Ruger #1 in 375 H&H. The Ruger #1 is my favorite all time rifle. I love them. One day Im going to save up the money and order a Shiloh Sharps in 45-70.

You gotta post some pictures of that cannon when you get it.
C-grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #1639
AWDshenanigans
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197856
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: 'merikuh
Vehicle:
2010 FJ Cruiser
Sandstorm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
Bushmaster makes a good rifle. It might not have the specs that I want and they do cut corners but they tend to be reliable. My duty rifle broke several times but has never failed to feed and fire.
What would break on it?
AWDshenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #1640
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
1997 Outback

Default

Anyone interested in purchasing some PMC 55-grain .223 for .37/round? I am thinking of buying a case, but don't want to buy all 1000.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #1641
sti1911
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280080
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott, az
Vehicle:
2011 wrx/sti sedan
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
I love old school rifles. Im really considering buying a Winchester 70 or Ruger #1 in 375 H&H. The Ruger #1 is my favorite all time rifle. I love them. One day Im going to save up the money and order a Shiloh Sharps in 45-70.

You gotta post some pictures of that cannon when you get it.
will post pics when i get it, once i get it cleaned up, and during the refinishing process, also will throw some pics up of the casings as i form them in comparison to some other stuff that people will know...

ruger #1's are awesome pieces, and the .375hh is awesome... as for the shilo sharps, you're a handloader if memory serves correct, go for the gusto and get a .50-70(its original cartridge) or get the buffalo slayer the .45-110
sti1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #1642
sti1911
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280080
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott, az
Vehicle:
2011 wrx/sti sedan
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDshenanigans View Post
What would break on it?
if you shoot steal the extracors can wear on them, then again ive got idk how many thousands or rounds through mine (most steel) and it is no worse for the wear... but i am also a bit ocd when it comes to weapon maintenance, hence why i am in the gunsmithing program up at yavapai
sti1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #1643
C-grunt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152713
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: North Peoria
Vehicle:
2010 G37 Sedan
Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDshenanigans View Post
What would break on it?
My work rifle had a crappy LPK in it. Had three parts in the trigger and safety break during the four day class. Ive also had the bolt gas rings fail in the rifle.

As far as common wear parts of the AR rifle you have the extractor and bolt. There is no real positive number on how long a bolt should last but anything past about 15k rounds you should just replace. It's good to always keep a spare bolt on the rifle.

Another thing people don't know is that AR mags were originally designed to be disposable. That's why they are so thin and flimsy. The #1 cause of AR malfunctions is mags. They don't last. You should expect to replace them every couple of years. Pmags have helped this greatly but they wear out too.
C-grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #1644
TwinscrollGT35R
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256810
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Default

Shemoves.. Where are you buying from?
TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #1645
C-grunt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152713
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: North Peoria
Vehicle:
2010 G37 Sedan
Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemoves View Post
Anyone interested in purchasing some PMC 55-grain .223 for .37/round? I am thinking of buying a case, but don't want to buy all 1000.
Dude UNammo.com , who is local by the way, sells PMC for 350 per case and better yet has M193 for 360 per case.
C-grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #1646
TwinscrollGT35R
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256810
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
Dude UNammo.com , who is local by the way, sells PMC for 350 per case and better yet has M193 for 360 per case.
That is why I asked Shemoves. UNammo is ****.. I buy all my ammo from them.
TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #1647
trick_subie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 175001
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Mesa, AZ
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
WRB

Default

Does anyone have a factory XD9/40 subcompact holster they'd be interested in getting rid of? I know they suck to carry ect., however I want to use one for a project/experiment and I bought the essentials package which doesn't come with one.
trick_subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #1648
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
1997 Outback

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinscrollGT35R View Post
Shemoves.. Where are you buying from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
Dude UNammo.com , who is local by the way, sells PMC for 350 per case and better yet has M193 for 360 per case.
backpage and such...so, price isn't set in stone. I have heard good things of unammo, but after tax, the $360/case comes out to .39/round.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #1649
sti1911
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280080
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Prescott, az
Vehicle:
2011 wrx/sti sedan
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemoves View Post
backpage and such...so, price isn't set in stone. I have heard good things of unammo, but after tax, the $360/case comes out to .39/round.
do the math on what shipping will cost on 1000rds it will be more than .37 cents
sti1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #1650
shemoves
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 80663
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Glendale, AZ
Vehicle:
1997 Outback

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti1911 View Post
do the math on what shipping will cost on 1000rds it will be more than .37 cents
it would be from locals so not tax or shipping.
shemoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SWIC Photo Thread - like photography? Post here. bObby South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC 1878 01-30-2014 01:00 PM
The Official SWIC Dog Thread kpluiten South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC 87 10-12-2011 08:53 PM
Official: SWIC phone thread aaron04 South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC 34 06-30-2010 05:24 PM
**Official** SWIC menstration thread. Dirty Taco South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC 9 06-25-2008 12:49 AM
Gun people - Kimber Pro Tac II, or HK USP compact??? Yes, ANOTHER gun thread..... Subasaurus Rex Off-Topic 9 11-11-2003 11:24 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.