Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30968
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Default 99 2.5 RS/RS-T/RS-Broke/R-STi

Hey guys,

Here's my journal, sorry for the copy and paste, but it would take me way too long to repost it! Enjoy!

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t125...oke-r-sti.html
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
THauto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
xanVu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 228276
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2003 2.5L WRX

good read!
xanVu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Thanks, sorry for the vague last 8 years, i am sure we did some other little tricks to it, but i really want to focus on the next 6-9 months on it and try to document as much as i can so others can reference it along the way. The goal is to go from a stock STi set-up all the way up to 375-400 at the wheels with the GT30r, meth, etc, etc. I am going to dyno & tune every mod and report back on it.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Default Day 2

Well, i finally got some more time to spend on the car, but not a horrible amount of progress. I dismantled all the subframes and made an inventory of the parts i have left over for the shop (we can use these all the time, cars are so rusty up here we always need odd parts when doing a simple job). Once i got everything put away, i started taking the front end of the car apart for painting and getting to the wiring harnesses. I ordered a new front bumper because the ghetto fiberglass one that came with the car has been fixed and painted 3 times because it wont stay together. I decided to stick with the stock front bumper and use the STi JDM lip i was using before. Sorry for the lame entry, i only had abot 2 hours to spend on it!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Default Finally working away on her...

Check out the link above, tons added!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Well, almost 2 months later, i finally started again on the car. My paint shop said they are slowing down and were going to have time soon here to paint the car, so i figured it was time to get my ass in gear!

Last night i started stripping the engine bay for painting. The grey is not going to match the color of the rest of the car, so i am having it painted black. I got almost everything out of it, the next step is to pull the dashboard so i can fish all the wires through the firewall. I also fit my new front bumper, it's just OEM because i want to retain the STi front lip, but i had to cut out the license plate bracket off and make room for the front mount intercooler and piping.

So tonight is the dash pulling party, i will post some more pics then!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Well, its true, 2 days in a row! So my goal was to get the dash out and i would say i got 85% of it out, but not all of it. It was actually a lot easier then i thought it was going to be, the hardest thing was to get all the additional wires, that we had put in the car, like gauges & remote starter, out because we did not have very good connectors set up like the stock ones. I wasnt really taking my time either because i know this dash is not going to be going back in. When i remove the STi dash, i will be sure to document where everything goes to make sure it goes into the RS properly!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Well, i had a long weekend on the ole' girl... Stripped the car down to almost nothing in order to get ready for painting. Actually wasnt too bad, its amazing how many trim parts there are on these things!! Im bringing everything but the shell to the paint shop today, and the shell is either going this week if they have time, or first thing next week. We are going to try to just pick the shell up and put it on the flat bed to get it down there!

Next.... STi comes in the shop and gets stripped!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Well, now that the RS is as far as i can go before they paint it, now im onto the STi which is exciting! Not that i am getting tired of the RS, but i was just ready to work on something new, and since the poor STi has been sitting in a snow bank for 5 months, it was do for some loving! Spent about 1.5 hours last night tearing out the interior and the dash. Removed all the seats, the carpet, the center counsol and the first part of the main dash! Will continue more this weekend with it, hopefull get the dash all fit before the shell goes to paint!!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Wow, i knew it was going to be a lot of work to swap the dash, but it was a lot of work of a different nature.... thinking and being frustrated!

So what i found with a dash swap is there is no one way of doing it. I did a TON of research and found some posts that were useful and a lot of posts that were not. A lot of them made more sense once i got into it. I tried to follow one certain post (waiting for approval to attach a link for it), but i think i screwed up one of his steps and had to make my own step in the mean time. I did minimal welding and cutting on my dash beam and i also ran out of time getting it all cleaned & welded up, i had to make sure the car was ready to go to paint this morning. I TOTALLY screwed up the holes on the firewall for the heater core and the A/C, now they are WAY to big and i am going to have to find a way to repair that!

When i finally got the dash mounted where i wanted it, the center council would not fit, it was about 1/4" to far towards the rear. I had to move the heater box forward even more (this is where my holes got too big in the firewall) and trim the center council to get it to fit. I did not get a chance to get the steering column and everything in cause i had to clean up the shop of death when i ran out of time, so i am crossing my fingers that when that thing comes back from paint everything will be OK!

All and all, i believe the hardest thing about the swap was sitting there not knowing which way the damn thing needed to go. I did more sitting on the floor of the car scratching my head then anything. Here are some pics, i will post more when i actually have time and outline some of the stuff i noticed along the way so it can maybe help someone...

Here's my oops (i believe, beat the crap out of this bracket and i think i needed it!)

Was a little nicer to this one:

Old 04-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Well, finally the last bit of my motor parts should be in today, ACL main bearings are on national backorder and it really threw a "wrench" in the works, lol! So, here are some pics of what i am sending out:

CP Pistons, Standard Size
Eagle Rods
ACL Rod Bearings
Cosworth Main Bearings
Cometic Head Gaskets
Manley Intake Valves
Manley Exhaust Valves
Manley Springs & Retainers
ARP Head Studs

Should be a good motor for my goals!!! Enjoy!

Old 04-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
Above and Beyond
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 186176

Looks like its gonna be a killer project when all is done!
Above and Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Default Finally, back at it!

Well, just as the title reads, finally back at it! I ran into a little snag, but thats OK, we put my wife's STi up for sale (which sold 47 hours later, hehe), but i spent half the weekend cleaning and buffing it up, so i lost some time there. Also, my body shop has been very busy and has not had time to take my car, but they finally called it in, so i dropped the ole girl off! They said it should only take about a week, so i have a lot to get done before im ready for it.... Pull the motor in the Audi i just bought, put a clutch in our STi we sold (along with a timing belt and oil pick-up), prep the SV650 race bike we just sold (was my wife's bike as well), etc, etc... So basically i just need to bust some ass the next week or so cause i know im not going to let that thing sit there ready to be worked on!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Well, finally back at it now that i have cleared up some more time. The shell came back from the body shop in 3 days, all nice and pretty, so i stuff her in the corner for about a week to cure and prepare for rebuild....

Ya, i know that the color is going to be hit or miss with some people, but i like it, SO BACK OFF! LOL!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Well, it was a lonnnnnnng weekend and i expected to get a lot more dont then i did, but isnt that how it always works?!?! I started by tearing out the rest of the rear harness in the trunk and then moved over to the STi and swapped one harness at a time. I moved the Intercooler Water Spray Bottle over to the RS by drilling out the spot welds for the backets and re-welding them into the RS...

Please excuse the horrible welds, the welder and i were not cooperating this weekend.

I got all the wiring in the rear of the vehicle, then i moved on to the front and the cabin. It is absolutely amazing how similar the two cars are. 5 years and a couple model changes, not to mention the difference between 2 & 4 doors, and there are very little changes! The next issue i ran into were the pedals. The brake/ clutch pedal from the STi did not swap over, so i had to use the original from the RS. The STi has a slight curve in the bracket near the clutch and its just enough to not be worth fabricating new brackets, so i used the old pedal set.

Next was the gas pedal. Of course the new one is DBW instead of cable, but the difference was the bracket. The old pedal was held down by two bolts, the new one had studs and nuts, and of course in different locations. But, amazing as subaru is, i drilled out the spot welds on the STi bracket and it just so happens the holes in the bracket line up with the bolt holes in the bracket on the RS!!! So, i drilled out the holes, bolt the STi bracket on top of the RS bracket and tacked it in a couple spots for some extra safety, worked great!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #16
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

So Saturday did not treat me well, so first thing Sunday i came into the shop and pushed hard. I got the front driver's side & engine bay harness installed, new fuse box (was smashed front the accident) and jumped into the dash harness. Before i installed the dash harness, i layed the STi sound matting, which fit almost perfect in the RS. I had to cut a couple little holes here and there, but no big deal. The brackets that holds the wire harness up in the middle were again different from the two cars, so there i went drilling out spot welds again and transferring the brackets. Since i had a lot of stuff transferred, i decided to use bolts & self-tappers instead of battling with the welder and starting the thing on fire. Once i got those transferred the brackets, it bolted up nicely!

Then it was on to some merging. I had one of my friends come up an give me a hand, he's a stereo/ remote starter installer. I could do it all myself, but honestly im crunched on time, so he mated the tail lights, marker lights, signals & door pins while i finished installing the harnesses. So, here we are, end of weekend #1.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #17
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Well, sorry for the delay in updates, ive been slammed trying to get this thing going. So we finally merged all the wires to the STi harness:

Tail Lights
Headlights (also installed HID's)
Signals & Markers
Both Doors
Wipers
Sunroof
Door Switches

And i left the RS Airbag front impact sensors and computer in the car. I found the airbag system very interesting because the computers were exactly the same, just must have different programming.

So, i started refitting the dash. I put the heater box back in and then went to put the blower motor box in and realized i never test fit it before hand, guess what that meant.... MORE BRACKETS!!! YEAH!

Once i got that to mount in there, i finished welding up the dash beam, i had a little talk with the welder and we came to a truths, so my beads were a little better...

Old 06-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #18
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Here's some more pics...

[IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums
Old 06-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #19
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

So, it was finally time to lay the STi to rest. Removed both subframes, all suspension, the tranny, the fuel tank and stripped the thing almost down to nothing, anything that i may need down the road for the project and other cars...

Then we dragged the old girl out for its final burial with the tow truck...

Then of course we had to smash the windows with a sledge hammer while standing on the roof, what else is there to do, put the car back together or something?

Old 06-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #20
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Finally came time to get the little girl back on wheels... Both front and rear subframes bolted right up, as well as the fuel tank. I used the stock RS fuel filler tube, but swapped all the STi EVAP system over. The worst part about all of it was the suspension. The rear swap bar & brackets bolted right up, but the struts were a different story. I tried the STi struts w/ Prodrive springs and slotted out the holes in the rear for the STi topmounts, but it sits about 1.5"-2" too high in the rear. The front bolt right in, but i dont have my fenders on or the motor in, so i could not check the ride height. Then, i tried the RS topmounts, but the dont fit the STi springs. I did a lot of searching online, but i could not find what everyone was using for a set-up, so i just scrapped in and installed the JIC Coilovers that were in the STi, then i can set it wherever i want...

Old 06-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #21
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #22
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Now, it was kind of nice to do some easy stuff. The LF wheel bearing was loose from the impact of the accident and the brakes were trashed from sitting. I went with the StopTech slotted rotors, pads and braided line kit and Motul RBF brake fluid from JSC Speed (we are a dealer for them). I put the Advan RGI's on it just to roll it around for now, my RGII's should be back soon from getting powdercoated!!!

Then i put the steering column back in to find out the shaft needed to be shaved and cut (found common issue, the distance from the firewall to the rack is longer on the STi). I dont have a local machine shop, so i took my time and did it myself.

And some other random pics, first with the STi's struts and top mounts in the rear:

and now with the coilovers (not sure where they are set, the car is still unloaded):

This weekend im going to be putting the motor back together and hopefully getting it on the Alignment machine to be sure there is nothing else bent, cross your fingers!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #23
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

Well, the engine came back from the machine shop and got some time to build it up and put it back in the car. No... i did not take pictures of the stock clutch & flywheel i put back in the car....shhhh.... dont tell anyone. Funds are getting low, so BACK OFF! Planning on putting a clutch and flywheel in her when i yank the motor back out to build the GT30R kit!

Killer B Motorsports pick-up tube and deep pan, very nice pieces!!

Couldnt get the whole thing built because i was still missing the driver's exhaust cam pulley that got smashed in the accident on the donor car, but got it stuffed in there and everything hooked up, including the stock STi exhaust, perfect fit, boy i love Subaru!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #24
THauto99
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Grey

I wanted to see some rear progress, so i put the rear end together and slapped the new wheels on! I got:

Seibon Carbon Trunk
Seibon Carbon Wing
Advan RGII's, powdercoated flat black!!!

Put the rear bumper and STi rear spats on. Tail lights came out wayyyy too dark for me, not sure how long they will stay on there, but no time to mess with them right now... Wheels came out amazing!

Then it was time to get the interior in last night. Everything fit like a glove for the most part. The passenger's side airbag cover is getting pushed up a little, so im going to have to make some adjustments there. Put a new deck and speakers in there, all of mine out of the RS were junk and the STi's were torn out before i got the car...

Old 06-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #25
yarbles
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 152702

I'm so envious of that lift and trans jack!! These 6 speeds are pigs compared to the 5speed, must be that the 5 speed is mostly glass. Looks awesome!
yarbles is offline   Reply With Quote